Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical The upholstery thread to end all threads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Jan 5, 2021.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

They use it on all marine stuff. So the foam doesn’t mold. Sail Rite has a lot of good videos on YouTube.

3quarter32 and loudbang like this.
  2. reyn

reyn

Uwe Grosse has a great video on adjustments to a Juki or Consew. If this link doesn't work do a search for his name on you tube.

loudbang, 1-SHOT and Roothawg like this.
  3. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Thank’s for taking the time to post this information. Frank

loudbang likes this.
  4. jakesbackyard

jakesbackyard
    from ND
    1. Upholstery

I have used silk film for many years for furniture cushions and seat back rests. It works great on the backrest of a split back bench seat. Rest the backrest by the arm on a table top, drape silk film over the whole thing, stick a vacuum wand up from underneath and inside the springs, turn on, it sucks it down and you slip the cover on. Position cover, take vacuum out, and tear out as much silk film as you can. It’s slick!

5. Whoamel

Whoamel
    from So Cal

Whoops!

This panel is one of three trim panels for the back of my '40 Ford Coupe. I used 1/8" foam and (clearly) I fubar'd this one up. These panel clips are on the top side underneath the foam and vinyl.

Should I maybe have used 1/4" or 3/8" foam and hollowed out the foam underneath the clips?

[​IMG]

Any tips suggestions greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

loudbang likes this.
  6. 3quarter32

3quarter32

What kind of clips are those, christmas tree type? I like the Auveco 808 clips and use a bit of duct tape to smooth out the clip tops and keep them in place.

fauj and loudbang like this.
  7. Whoamel

Whoamel
    from So Cal

Yes, it has a different p/n, but it is as you described. Suprisingly, it has a very low crown top, and it appears mostly flat when you look at them. They look huge under the vinyl, though :)

loudbang likes this.
  8. 3quarter32

3quarter32

Maybe make a hole in your foam large enough to accept the head and cover the top of hole with tape to prevent your vinyl from sucking down into the hole. Is the foam glued to both panel and vinyl? I have used a bit of heat to release the glue.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Roothawg

Roothawg

So, don’t look too close but mama and I decided to try our first real project. We needed a console to hold our cups, but the 35 cab is made for little skinny folks from the depression that didn’t get to eat as much.

We made some mistakes and learned a lot. It’s pretty simple, but it’s project number 1. Now we just have to do 20 more to make it pay for itself.

The seat was previously done by a professional. I always order more materials than I need, for reasons just like this.

Nothing fancy, but a year ago I would have just stapled some vinyl on it an hoped for the best.

Let the hazing begin.

BDA60F6D-3B36-47B4-BB16-C7DB43A9DF09.jpeg

brEad, engine138, Just Gary and 14 others like this.
  10. Nothing wrong with that Root! Looks good

11. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks. It has plenty of room for improvement, but it’s a start.

12. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

If you use two layers of fiber board or what ever you are using and put the clips in the first layer and then glue the second layer over it you won’t have that problem

loudbang and fauj like this.
  13. Whoamel

Whoamel
    from So Cal

It is an aluminum panel that I am recovering. I ended up gluing a piece of 1/8" foam on it, then I carefully recessed the clips into the foam so everything was very close to the same height. I then added a second layer of 1/8" foam over it which came out nice. I checked the trash and noticed the original foam was 1/4" so that was my "ah-ha!" moment.

I'm going to cover it tomorrow, and it should be just fine.

Thanks again for the tips. I appreciate the help.

loudbang likes this.
  14. Yeah, take the clips out, put them in your strong hand, and throw them in the garbage. Go buy a roll of industrial velcro. Works great.

Lone Star Mopar and fauj like this.
  15. Lmao! The only way you learn is by doing it man! And it's not easy, that's been the easiest lesson so far. It'd be a lot easier if you had somebody standing there that you can show your mistakes to, that could say "this is why that happened". Yours looks great, and you'll only get better. Figured out that when applying welt, if you are stretching the material while you're sewing on the welt, it gives you the pucker in your welting. I had to get my wife to stop "pulling" the material, and let the machine do the work lol

loudbang, fauj and Roothawg like this.
  16. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Sorry for the lousy photo, but why is my stitch as crooked as a politician?

Attached Files:

17. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

@ZZ Top Chop If you look closely at the right stitch line, you will see the knot. It needs to be centered between the two layers of material when sewed together. You should not be able to see the knot from the bottom side or from the topside. So loosen the tension on the top side or tighten the thread tension on the bottom side.

loudbang likes this.
  18. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

Thank you, I'll give it a try. Also I may have found out why my stitch length is not long enough. I took the wick try off and looking down at the feed collar, the screw is broken. Been looking online for one, I'll post a pic.

loudbang likes this.
  19. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I think this maybe the reason my stitch length is off. The screw that attaches to the feed collar is broken. (Consew 206RB-1). Can someone point me the right direction on where to find one? I don't know the correct name either. Update: part name is Consew #18011 Screw. Still can't find one for sale 20210930_150951.jpg

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  20. She is feeding you outta dog bowls now?

loudbang likes this.
  21. Roothawg

Roothawg

Yep, but to be traditional I need to carve them out of a cypress log.

22. 3quarter32

3quarter32

If you think it is still a good machine and have all the screw pieces, a good machine shop could make one. Even try a gun smith shop.

loudbang and ZZ Top Chop like this.
  23. Have you contacted Consew to ask them where you might find it?

loudbang likes this.
  24. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Singer parts might work since I heard they are exact copies of Singers.

loudbang likes this.
  25. Mimilan

Mimilan

I have not read this whole thread , [so this could already be answered] but usually the crooked stitching is the machinist, not the machine.
    If the machine is feeding OK with the correct foot pressure , you need to change your technique.

My husband Kerry can sew arrow straight ,and do a pair of single stitches that look consistent with a twin needle machine.
    His technique is to lead with one hand behind the machine and the other in front [basically holding the fabric like a "hacksaw"]
    This allows him to feel the stitch length, and hold consistent tension on the fabric.
    A real handy technique when sewing a piece of bias cut fabric to another piece cut straight on the "warp or weft", and also if you have an issue with stretching along seams ,Is to use cellotape on the fabric. [this perforates and can be peeled off later]
    Cellotape is a must on soft leathers and sheepskin

Consew [Juki heavy industries] is metric.

loudbang likes this.
  26. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

It's not me, it's the machine out of adjustment. The holes are straight, stitch is crooked

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    loudbang likes this.
  27. ZZ Top Chop

ZZ Top Chop

I emailed them this morning, we'll see.

K13 and loudbang like this.
  28. loudbang and Roothawg like this.
  29. Roothawg

Roothawg

loudbang and Tman like this.
  30. F-head

F-head

Here’s a seat I just finished up for my 47/1 coupe C5B31E1F-E8F4-4207-B666-1BF876CEBC9B.jpeg F5E0411F-5E26-436D-9B38-EC182466E9D3.jpeg 154306E1-0BE6-4B49-BAEB-77229E897B65.jpeg E60FEE47-F8A6-4C66-980B-07D55FEC743C.jpeg