Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods 331 Hemi

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Willie D, Sep 21, 2021.

1. Willie D

Willie D

Hello, new to HAMB here. Just got a 331 Hemi motor running after sitting for 30 years. Looking for tips and tricks to bringing this Mopar back to life. All suggestions are highly appreciated.

2. Welcome th the HAMB. Tell us more about the 331 Hemi. What did you do to get it running so far?

3. Deuces

Deuces

Oh, yeah.... Pictures or it never happened.... ;)

fauj likes this.
  4. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I had a friend who started a 396 after a long nap , he had pulled the pan to use on another engine when he got it so head looked at a few bearings also. Soon after he put it in he daily driver it spun the mains.
    All the oil film had dried out and turned into a grit wiping out all the bearings.
    So I would disassemble check everything out and clean before reassembling.
    That's me I'm lazy and hate doing things twice.

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It sounds like you already brought it back to life, so it's kinda late for tips and tricks. What did you do to it before you got it running?

Hnstray, X38 and Desoto291Hemi like this.
  6. There have been several threads about what to do to an engine that's been asleep for a long time, before you attempt to bring it alive.

Hnstray likes this.
  7. gene-koning

gene-koning

Says he just got the motor running after it sat for 30 years.

How to start it is not what he is looking for, I think he wants to know what to do next, but we don't know any thing about what he has other then a now running 331 Hemi.

I'd like to help, but I need more info concerning what he has, and what he needs help with.

I failed the mind reading 101 class. Gene

73RR likes this.
  8. 73RR

73RR

...mind telling us where you are located?

9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I realize that. After 30 years, I hope he didn't just check the oil, connect a battery and fuel and crank it up.

"Looking for tips and tricks to bringing this Mopar back to life" was a poor choice of words.

gimpyshotrods and X38 like this.
  10. Me too.

fauj and gimpyshotrods like this.
  11. Don't really know what you are asking but a neat modernization trick for early Hemis is add a late model Chrysler electronic ignition. Get the distributor sand electronic module/wiring harness from a Chrysler LA engine (318, 340, 360, etc.). Weld a 3/8" extension tab on the distributor shaft and it will drop right in. Modern hot spark with stock 50s look.
    Hemi2.jpg IMG_1593.JPG

Also, modify the sparkplug tubes to eliminate the wire cover pans. Bend a flange on the tubes that captures the rubber seals (new ones from Hot Heads). Then use ACCEL long reach plug booted silicone wires.

I use Toyota hole covers. Just cut off the larger extension tube lipss on the bottom and slip onto the ACCEL wires. Toyota had two versions of the boots, you want the ones with the "R" cast on the top.

Bad gasket.jpg IMG_1537.JPG IMG_1538.JPG IMG_1539.JPG IMG_1540.JPG P8230084.JPG Rubber shields.jpg

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  12. fauj and Deuces like this.
  13. MoePower

MoePower
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omro, WI

Deuces likes this.
  14. 73RR

73RR

Regarding the plug tubes: expecting the tube to survive a long and healthy life when you are using the plug to compress the rubber seal is asking a bit much. I have a box full of tubes just like pictured with the end completely worn through by the plug.
    There are better options.

15. I'm not worried about mine. It is a cruiser and been running like that for 15 or so years, look to have 15 more years of life left. Probably not a solution for a racer pulling plugs every run.