Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods P-38 Belly Tank & Alvord Dry Lake Adventure. BY Marty Strode

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Marty Strode, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Around six years ago, I was contacted by a guy named Ed Godshalk that had purchased the remains of a P-38 Tank that had been built around 1952, and raced in 53-54 at El Mirage, and at the Drags. Ed is a newly minted member on here, and will share the car's history within this thread. My work schedule has been full, since Ed asked me to take on the task of bringing it back to it's race appearance, and has been patiently waiting for me. Well, late last year, I decided to put my own projects aside and do my best to get it done, as I am not sure, just how many more complete builds I have in me. Once we got started, as most of the cars I build, I tend to dangle a carrot out in front of me, by having a target event or happening that it is to be debuted, being a race or a show. I suggested running it at the Alvord Desert Dry Lake, this September, and Ed said sure ! A few pictures for now and details later. IMG_7713.JPG IMG_7679.JPG IMG_7689.JPG IMG_7695.JPG IMG_7699.JPG

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    chad fergen, bymanr, Thor1 and 52 others like this.
  2. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That's awesome Marty...Ed couldn't have chosen a better Builder/Hotrodder to take on the task...

You get to dig into another Builders hand and get things back in order...thanks for sharing and we look forward to the ressurection of past greatness...

Welcome to the Hamb Ed...

Thor1, Nobey, brady1929 and 7 others like this.
  3. catdad49

catdad49

The above pictures look more Then rather then Now! A hobby is supposed to be Fun, looks like the project is a Success.

Thor1, tractorguy, Nobey and 5 others like this.
  4. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow! Looks like target met. Extra cool.

Thor1, Nobey, Stogy and 2 others like this.

5. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

6. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Amazing tank @Marty Strode - you do amazing work.

What a great place to debut the car too.

Thor1, Nobey, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  7. That’s too cool!
    Your usual fantastic work!

Thor1, Nobey, brady1929 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

9. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Thor1, alanp561, tractorguy and 15 others like this.
  10. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

" Everything old, is new again " And still fast !
    Bravo @Marty Strode for helping to get this cool belly tanker, to haul ass out on the Alvord Desert !

Thor1, loudbang, Nobey and 1 other person like this.
  11. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Aside from the tank, on this exploratory mission to check out Alvord, we were joined by Charlie Hascall, his Wife Kelli, and a band of Hot Rodders from his neighborhood. Also, HAMB member Mike Moore,@bone31 was there with his cool little Modified, sporting one of his excellent quickchanges. Mike did some great work for us on the Tank, setting up the carbs and idler pulley. My old friend Jim Lindsay brought his Dad's 29 RPU, and his flamed Deuce roadster, that I drove in the event. IMG_7709.JPG IMG_7708.JPG IMG_7705.JPG IMG_7723.JPG

Pinewood, Thor1, alanp561 and 32 others like this.
  12. Chris Bright

Chris Bright

@Marty Strode Thanks for making this happen. Sorry the weather cut it short, but hopefully we can do it again next year.

Here's a PHOTO GALLERY with 40+ pics.

Thor1, alanp561, ratrodrodder and 7 others like this.
  13. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Welcome to the HAMB Chris ! Friends, I had never met Chris, and he showed up last Wed, on my 73rd Birthday, to help Ed, I, and the others that stopped in to help during the marathon work session. I was pretty well spent, and wondered if we were going to get it done on time. Chris brought some great deli sandwiches, and cupcakes for my Birthday ! That perhaps gave me the boost I needed to keep going, and not throw in the jock ! Thanks Chris.

Last edited: May 16, 2023
  14. Chris Bright

Chris Bright

The words out: @Marty Strode is powered by cupcakes!!!

Appreciate the shout out! You said it best: the fun of the build is the camaraderie of the folks pulling together to get it across the finish line. Happy to be a part of it. If you need a hand in the future, just holler.

15. y'sguy

y'sguy
    from Tulsa, OK

Nice project and a fun event that I am sorry to have missed!. Good on you guys!

Thor1, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  16. bone31

bone31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from oregon

I never met Chris Bright before, it was just after sunrise and Charlies guys got in late and I asked Chris if you want to make some noise and he said yes, we took my car out and made a lot of noise after two runs when we got back seams everyone was up.

Thor1, alanp561, milwscruffy and 8 others like this.
  17. Very cool project! Looking forward to the details!!

Thor1, loudbang and Stogy like this.
  18. Finally !! Awesome Marty.

Happy belated Birthday, too. Your voice sounds no older then 59 !! Fooled me. :)

Happy happy, buddy !! @Marty Strode

- Jamie

Thor1, Blues4U, loudbang and 3 others like this.
  19. Chris Bright

Chris Bright

That was my favorite part of the entire day! First time on the playa in your modified and makin' a lot of noise!!

Thor1, alanp561, bone31 and 4 others like this.
  20. BadgeZ28

BadgeZ28
    from Oregon

Neat you, and friends got to do some racing there. I am surprise the BLM ( not black lives matter ) let you do it. The weather can come up fast and furious down there at times.

21. It doesn't get any cooler than this thread!!! Anxiously waiting for more adventures.........

chad fergen, Thor1, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Marty I guess you have already made the desired mods and changes that were required by Ed as it seems to have already kicked up the dust...I look forward to Ed chiming in and sharing the story, mods/repairs and some more detailed pics and history...

A belated Happy Birthday Hotrodder...

Thor1, TFoch, loudbang and 4 others like this.
  23. BrandonB

BrandonB
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nor cal

Like someone before me said, it looks then not now. If it wasn't for the modern trailers and motor homes you'd think late 40's. Thanks for posting.

Thor1, loudbang, Nobey and 3 others like this.
  24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I had a look at the Articles and pics done by @Chris Bright...another surreal spot where go fast happens...and yes there is good times and bad times in the air there...but where Autosport happens this comes with the quest unfortunately...thanks for sharing that...great coverage of the Goodtimes you all had...but heck I didn't get any cupcakes...:oops:

Thor1, alanp561, TFoch and 5 others like this.
  25. The 39 guy

The 39 guy

26. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Darn Stogy, we had one cupcake we overlooked, and a few days later I threw it in the trash, if I had only known, I would have mailed it to you ! Thanks for all of your posts, you are very kind.

Thor1, alanp561, fauj and 6 others like this.
  27. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Jamie, you should hear my voice now, it sounds like I gargled a branding iron ! Too much talking I guess. Thanks my friend.

Thor1, Blown Red Ram, fauj and 4 others like this.
  28. Marty Strode

Marty Strode

Now for one of the best outcomes of the event. Zack Summers is a pal of Charlie Hascall, the kingpin of traditional hotrodding here in Oregon. I met Zack around 20 years ago, when he was quite young, and had a stock Model A coupe, with a Banger, sitting high, and no fenders. He, also has a nice blue, Shoebox Ford with an axle up front, SBC/4 speed that he Drag Races. He is is a pleasant guy, with a gearhead Son named Brett. I hadn't seen his A-Bone for quite some time, and we visited while he was unloading it. Great little car, and the only Coupe that showed up. During our conversation, Brett informed me he had worked and earned enough money to put together a running A chassis, and was looking for a T body to put on it. I started thinking about any Roadster bodies that might be available at a decent price. After I got home, I awakened with a thought, he might want my highly modified 27 Coupe. So mid day yesterday, I called Zack, and he said "can we come tonight" ? He and Brett showed up, and as I opened the back doors of my COE box truck, Zack whispered "I didn't say anything to Brett". You should have seen the look on Brett's face, when I told him he could have it for free. IMG_0954.JPG IMG_0957.JPG IMG_7718.JPG IMG_7719.JPG IMG_7722.JPG

29. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Marty's the man!:D

embyman68, Thor1, fauj and 4 others like this.
  30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow what a story and what a cool car.
    That is indeed way out past the end of the known world sign.

upload_2021-9-21_17-59-16.png

I was offered a job in the Napa store in Burns in 1991 and decided that 300 miles on way from where we were was too big a move at the time. Fields is 130 or 150 miles south of Burns depending on which dirt road you take.
    A friend of mine had an Oregon Sunstone mine down in that area 20 years ago.
    I think he was further west by Plush though.

Thor1, bone31, fauj and 4 others like this.