Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical GM Distributor built by speed shop specs unknown

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by belair_54, Sep 21, 2021.

1. belair_54

belair_54
    from australia

Hi everyone in 2017 I bought a rebuilt GM distributor on Ebay it was listed with many others from a speed shop that was closing down.
    It is running Pertronix LS1181 lobe sensor unit.
    I am about to install it in my 1960 El camino but when I went to get it off the shelf it had a spec tag which has now gone missing . I am sure it had a few numbers on there but what exactly can be changed on a distributor ?? I know about the springs and weights but will this have any effect on a near stock 1968 327 ??? Its in real good condition no play I believe its from a 1969 Camaro
    [​IMG]

2. oldolds

oldolds

Do you know anyone with a distributor machine? They can run it and give you all the specs. in a couple minutes.

ottoman and Mr48chev like this.
  3. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Throw it in there, check the total and initial timing and don’t lose a lot of sleep over it.

-Abone.

joel, Desoto291Hemi, pprather and 2 others like this.
  4. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've got an older (60's?) delco distributor in the 38, upon a little better examination I found that a bushing was missing (I think with the weights or springs...age has diminished my memory) which gave all kinds of advance that I didn't need...once you determine everything is there...like a prior poster indicated, install it and drive it:)

5. squirrel

squirrel

that stamped number on the side that starts with 111.....is the part number, and you can look up the application and specs from that.

But yeah, get a timing light with a dial or readout, set the total timing to around 34 degrees (vacuum disconnected), and then note what the initial timing is. Check what happens to timing when you put vacuum to the vacuum advance can. Compare it to specs. Drive and enjoy. If you want to play with it, you can do that, too. Change springs and weights, and maybe a different vacuum can, if you want to get a different curve.

ottoman and deathrowdave like this.
  6. You might want to call the tech guys at Pertronix to find out which coil that particular unit needs.......wrong coil will fry the unit.

7. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Unless you have access to someone with a distributor machine they nailed it spot on.

As Hotrodart and Pprather both mentioned. Having the correct Pertronix coil is an absolute must . Of the around a hundred "My Pertronix crapped out on the side of the road what do I do now?" threads on the Hamb over the past 15 years that I have been on here 50 % of them were at least partially because the guy had the wrong coil. Most of the rest were because the guy who installed it did something that went against what Pertronix says to do. It's pretty much go by exactly what they tell you to do or plan on having a failure.

8. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I like the Mallory Volt Master coil..

#28675 for regular 12 volt coils with points..
    #28880 for CD ignitions.
    #28670 for 6 volt cars..

[​IMG]

9. belair_54

belair_54
    from australia

Thanks for all the replies yeah I think I will just throw it in see what happens thanks for the timing tips I have a Pertronix coil that I already bought to suit. I have installed Pertronix before in a 66 Nova just made it run a heap better.
    That sounds interesting just use the points for a switch to a CD box sounds more accurate than the pertronix I dont understand how the lobe sensor Pertronix can be accurate but they must work going on all the reviews.
    One more question since my distributor has been sitting on a shelf for at least 5 years do you need to lubricate it before installing it??

10. squirrel

squirrel

There is probably a felt grease ring at the top of the housing, which you have to remove the shaft to get to...if it was properly rebuilt, they put fresh grease in it, and it should be good for a long time (a decade or two?). Put a little oil in the lower bushing, although the bottom will get lubed pretty quickly once the engine starts running.

milwscruffy likes this.