Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building My First Roadster in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by J.Ukrop, Sep 7, 2020.

Tags:
  1. 97

The radiator is not pressurized , the overflow tube is just that, if you fill a Model A radiator to the top it will spill the extra out. As it is designed to do. Once it finds the correct level , water should expand and contract inside the radiator and only a bit of steam might escape on a hot day....all in an ideal world.
    If the motor is maintained and running well the water will need topping up infrequently . Just note the water level when it is cold and hot and only top up to the appropriate level. Of course if the car/water /engine is hot only add warm/hot water . It will cool a motor down to add cold water to a hot motor , but you have the very real risk of cracking the block or head. Don't take the risk!.

sewfast, Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  2. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

You can push/coast start a car with a good generator with no battery at all. How do I know this? :rolleyes:

Outback, 48fordnut and Stogy like this.
  3. To answer 97's question I am running a 6 volt three brush generator. At idle amp gauge reads 0, at 2500 rpm amp gauge shows 6-7 amps. Battery always shows full charge. I'm very stuck on the prewar theme. I did upgrade to turn signals but even those are 1942 guides. Running a B block, Riley cast iron 4 port with Winfield carbs. Brakes are 32 front, Model A rear, still mechanical. Running at 60 mph I would lose a quart of fluid on a 50 mile run. Switching to the smaller pulley stopped that and now I very seldom have to add fluid. That was why I questioned Joey's decision. I feel a lot of people over think this stuff. 20181007_115611.jpg 20200115_140058.jpg

4. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Joey, It looks like there is a roadster body right there where you are working. :rolleyes:

5. SillyBabbit

SillyBabbit

Well, I just binge read this post. Yeah, the whole thing. Now my girl says I don’t pay attention... or listen... or something like that. Great read. Good luck on v2. Can’t wait to read it. Maybe just a couple of pages at a time tho...

6. 97

Really nice Model A . I like that a lot!
    That is the answer I hoped (expected) to see! Yours has a different combination of systems and parts and you use the car differently. I suspect Joey very rarely runs his engine to 2500 rpm, mostly driving in the city, he has an alternator (disguised as a generator) and is running 12 volts. You have the ability to turn the charge rate up and down with the third brush, and I think the aftermarket crank pulley is useful for driving at higher speeds, made practical by your OHV B .
    I agree about the overthinking , like anything you modify, there a pros and cons , it's the combination that counts, to suit the owner/driver.
    I personally do not find it necessary or even desirable to convert to 12 volts or an alternator with a banger in a simple car. Henry really had a well thought out combination for the driving conditions of the era. I guess if I were to add audio, heater/fan, spotlights, and other modern power consuming "necessities" in a Tudor or similar , I may need a rethink .

Stogy, 48fordnut and Six Ball like this.
  7. 97

You live on top of a hill? :D
    British bikes with a generator or permanent magnet alternator used to have a capacitor built in , they would kick start easily with a completely flat battery and charge it up, I don't think they work with an alternator which needs some voltage to start working.

Stogy and Six Ball like this.
  8. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

It is 4 miles to the highway and I can coast the whole way. I did end up with a 441 BSA at the bottom of the hill once. It never started. You can push those at night in gear with the lights on and the compression release lever pulled and have good light.:eek:

Outback, 97, Stogy and 1 other person like this.
  9. 97

We all get that here, mine attracts my attention by saying "Model A Ford" , or "I see an old Model A" at the beginning of the conversation she wants to have , which rarely actually has anything to do with a model A.
    Welcome to the HAMB, check out the monthly Banger meet
    https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/september-2021-banger-meet-thread-happy-equinox.1240073/
    A link to all the past versions are at the beginning of each months intro page.

J.Ukrop and Stogy like this.
  10. It’s really refreshing to see you two youngsters, full of enthusiasm and energy, having the passion for our kind of cars. You sure bring back some pleasant memories of chasing down treasures.
    Thanks!

J.Ukrop, Hamtown Al, Stogy and 3 others like this.
  11. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I still love chasing down treasures,
    and I've been doing it since 1964!

12. 97

JOEY , Joey, oh yahoo Joey.....
    31 roadster body for sale $550.00 atm
    https://vanderbrinkauction.proxibid...-1-Ford-Roadster-Body/lotInformation/61949396
    Online bidding has started, live auction Saturday, a quick trip to North Dakota required ,

https://vanderbrinkauction.proxibid...LC/The-Krinke-Collection/event-catalog/201865
    Lots more to see
    https://vanderbrinkauction.proxibid...dy-for-rod-or-Project/lotInformation/61949382
    There's even one of these for your Mum, or you could change your daily!
    https://vanderbrinkauction.proxibid...-Cars/1962-GMC-Pickup/lotInformation/61949372

wish I was there! but I'm not , I'm here.

catdad49, Outback, Stogy and 5 others like this.
  13. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Official update happening tomorrow, but I figured I'd drop in to say I've been working on both versions of the car this weekend. IMG_8582.jpg
    Feels good to have it back on the street. IMG_8498.jpg
    Making moves!

14. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Tease lol

Woogeroo, J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  15. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Is it tomorrow yet? It's got to tomorrow somewhere. :rolleyes:

J.Ukrop likes this.
  16. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

" Vintage Automotive perfection, cannot be rushed "

guitarguy, Woogeroo and J.Ukrop like this.
  17. 97

I am calling you from the future, it has not appeared here yet either ! yes it is yesterday there for me! 10.51 am Tuesday 21 September in NZ , and 3.51pm Monday PST in the USA. So whenever I am there I really am "Living in the Past"

18. 97

That's a pretty clean , long frame, for "Second Edition", heavy too though ! you gunna need all the V8 horsepower you can muster to beat the "other" nimble car. ;)

Outback, J.Ukrop and Six Ball like this.
  19. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Things have been busy around here, but don't worry. I'm not neglecting the thread! A few important items before I continue.

1) I would like to say a huge (and overdue) thank you to @gimpyshotrods, who donated a perfect set of '40 Ford backing plates and shoes to the project. As I'm sure many of you know, Brian is incredibly knowledgable about all things hot rod and is also a master machinist and problem solver. It was super fun getting to hang out at his shop—which isn't far from my place at all—and talk projects. Thanks again, Brian! IMG_8316.jpg I have some fun plans for these, but more on that later.

2) For those who were following the motorcycle adventures, my friends made a video of our trip to Born Free. It's feature-length, and it captured so much of the fun. I was very surprised to see that they included my film photography at the end. If you have some time, check it out!

20. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Back at home base, I've been tackling line items big and small. IMG_8315.jpg
    Like painting the rear brake drums under the pomello tree. These are now semi-gloss black and looking good.
    IMG_8445.jpg
    As part of my pulley swap, I also installed the old chrome front timing cover from @Hitchhiker. I'll be honest—it was a little tricky to install. Why? The cover hasn't been on a car in decades, and the chrome makes all the bolts fit a little snugger. Nonetheless, I was able to get it in place and I couldn't be happier. Note the golden timing pin.
    IMG_8577.jpg
    I present you with Version 1.5 of my Model A roadster's engine compartment. I couldn't be more excited about the new old chrome addition. IMG_8580.jpg
    Another angle, just because.

21. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

The weather has been incredible here in town so, naturally, I've been driving the roadster as much as I can. The other night, I finally drove it up to University of San Francisco's Lone Mountain Campus.
    IMG_8583.jpg This building reminds me of something you would see in the background of an old Rod & Custom feature.

The car is running great, by the way! The stock lower crank pulley improves the car's charging ability.

That's all for tonight. More happenings headed your way tomorrow.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  22. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hotrod looks great with a balance of chrome, rust, grease and paint...glad that all went together without a single swear word...well maybe one or two...:D...nice pics, you're on a roll and have been for quite some time...very happy for you...;)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    Outback, Six Ball and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  23. 97

Looking better than ever !
    Golden timing pin, never heard that one before, are you sure it's not the Golden Rivet! ? ;) :D

Outback, Six Ball and Stogy like this.
  24. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a great video!

Six Ball, 97 and Stogy like this.
  25. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Joey for sharing, Born Free ride.

26. Weedburner 40

Weedburner 40

You're gonna miss that banger:rolleyes:

Six Ball likes this.
  27. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

That is really getting to be a good looking banger! The new can will be good too but this one will always be special. This is where we all met! :cool:

Outback, Tony Martino and Stogy like this.
  28. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Thank you, Stogy! There were definitely a handful of choice words at one point or another. But, as things came together, I quickly apologized to the ol' roadster. He didn't do anything wrong!

Well, um, I guess you learn something new every day!

Thank you! We sure had some fun out there.

Thank you for coming along for the ride!

I know it!

Thank you so much! It's really checking all the boxes for me. There's something neat about all this old speed equipment...

And I'm so glad we all get to hang out here!

catdad49, Tony Martino, 97 and 4 others like this.
  29. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

I've been running a little behind with my updates, but I'm doing to do everything in my power to change that tonight. Let's jump right in.

As I mentioned way back on page 1 of this thread, my friend David di Falco and I are working together to build this thing into a flathead-powered A-V8. His shop is about 45 minutes north of San Francisco in a beautiful town called Petaluma. Last month, we hatched a plan that I would head up there to work every Saturday morning until the project is finished. We're certainly not in a hurry, and we're doing everything we can to build the best car possible.

The idea is that I will work independently, but get pointers when I'm stuck. David is a craftsman of the highest degree; he has built numerous hot rods, many of which came to life while he was working for Vern Tardel.

Week #2: Cleaning Up the Frame

When Saturday morning rolled around, I couldn't wait to head up to Petaluma. Unlike last time, my truck bed was basically empty other than pedals from '35 and '39 Fords. After a foggy, relaxing ride, I pulled into my usual parking space. A knock on the door later and I was in the shop, surrounded by hot rod treasure from here and there. It felt good to be back.

David suggested that we bring the frame out in the driveway and set it on the biggest jackstands possible. Why? "To help save your back when you're working on it," he said with a smile. I dragged out his largest ones that he refers to as "Harbor Fright" specials. They were perfect for our application.
    IMG_8487.jpg
    First and foremost, I removed the original pedal mount. Judging by the rust on the rest of the frame, I figured there would be a lot of Kroil-soaking and power tool usage. Much to my surprise, every nut and bolt came out with ease using an impact wrench and a 1/2-inch box wrench. As you can imagine, I let out a big "Ahhh haaa!" when the first one broke free. We plan to clean up the hardware and use it elsewhere on the build.

Next, I grabbed the angle grinder and began eliminating some of the sharp spots on the frame. The previous owner had straightened it on his jig, and there were still some remnants from where he cut off the bracing. I also cleaned up the torch cuts on the K-member. I was glad that I could use the grinding skillz I learned during the build-a-Triumph-in-a-basement days at Mazi Moto!
    IMG_8493.jpg
    Next, we grabbed some square tubing from the back and tacked it to the frame. This will help keep it square until we install the Model A rear crossmember to clear the quickchange. It had been awhile since I MIG welded (or did any sort of welding, really) so I did okay on some of my tacks and managed to blow a hole through the tubing (not the frame!) on the last one I tried. David had no problem getting everything back to a presentable state.
    IMG_8490.jpg
    Getting things in position.

Once the pieces were in place, David noted that the front right frame horn was bent. He then taught me the proper technique on how to straighten them. "Just think about the chain of events that made them bend," he said, "and then work in reverse." I had a feeling it was going to involve some very big wrenches.
    IMG_8495.jpg

30. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

For our final task of the day, we planned to remove the rear crossmember. This is a big step for a number of reasons. Perhaps the biggest one, however, is that it's the first major change I'm making to the frame. In a way, I'm making it really, well, mine.

On this particular Deuce frame, the rear crossmember was held on with eight rivets. I've never removed rivets from an early Ford chassis, so David showed me the cleanest way to pop them out. First, I ground down the rivets so they had a flat top. IMG_8497.jpg
    Then, using a pneumatic drill, I drilled into each rivet, going just deep enough to pass the threshold of the frame. Finally, for the grand finale, we drove them out with an air chisel. Padadadaddadadadadada! Padadadadadad! POP! Off went the heads. It was a little tricky at first, but by the end I was really getting the hang of it.

Once all the rivets were out, I held the frame in place as David used a sledgehammer and a metal pole to break it free. We cheered as it slipped out of the place where it's lived since 1932.