Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Building a Parts washer from a dishwasher

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by noexit, Sep 20, 2021.

1. noexit

noexit

I'm turning an old diswasher into a parts washer, and I need a pump for the washer solution. I tried to run it gravity fed from a 5 gal bucket sitting on top of it, but water wouldn't come in the inlet. The dishwasher manual says that it needs a minimum of 20 psi water pressure. Would a little giant parts washer pump work, or would I need something else? I also want to put an inline filter to help clean what goes in, so that's a consideration as well.

Just Gary likes this.
  2. noexit

noexit

3. Dave G in Gansevoort

Dave G in Gansevoort
    from Upstate NY

Oh just put the parts in your significant other's dishwasher. What's the worst that can happen???

4. gregsmy

gregsmy
    from Florida

Are you trying to reuse the wash water? Closed loop? I would think diaphragm pump would be a good choice for that. Then some kind of baffle to help separate any solids.

Vin-tin likes this.
  5. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

What does a parts washer use?

6. Why are you needing a separate water inlet? Why can't you just use utility water? I assume because you're planning on feeding it with a cleaning solution? I'd be a bit concerned about that, are you sure the dishwasher seals will tolerate it?

In any case, rather than a pump that may over-pressure the dishwasher, how about a pressure tank (sourced from a old compressor) with a regulated air supply fed from your compressor. That would allow easy pressure adjustments. I'd be concerned also about trying to remove heavy deposits, most dishwashers cycle the water internally once or twice and that can't be good for the internal pump. You might want to install a screen over the inside drain.

Whatever you do, please post a follow-up on this if you go ahead, I for one would be interested in how well (and long) it works.

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Better yet, what does a dish washer use? Op is actually trying to get water into the unit is how I understand the question but the pressure switch won't let water in because gravity fed water doesn't create any pressure to trip the valve open. I say by pass the pressure switch.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  8. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you really want to go all through the hassle of trying to retrofit a dishwasher to clean parts in ? Or have you looked at various sources such as harbor freight or northern tool, that has parts washers such as this style. Just sayin.

parts washer.jpg

alanp561 likes this.
  9. Dishwasher soap is pretty heavy-duty, but won't remove baked-on stuff any better than a parts washer will. I have tried it a few times... Tip: run it again with soap empty to remove the 'smell' before SWMBO gets home...

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I'm not the one reinventing the wheel. I'm just saying the unit has it's own pump is all.

11. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

He would have to have to have a reservoir tank for his cleaning solution to make it work as Dish washers don't recycle the water. .
    A used RV water tank and RV water system pressure pump might do the trick as long as it provides enough pressure and volume to feed the dish washer A pump similar to this one Water Pressure Diaphragm Pump Industrial 115V, Self Priming Pump 4 Gpm 45 Psi include Power Plug, Pipe Fittings Strainer Filter for Kitchen Bathroom RV Marine Yacht Caravan, Garden Hose - - Amazon.com

I think most of us would just put the wife's "old dish washer" out in the shop and hook a hose to it and run a drain hose out side and snag some of her dish washing soap for it when we wanted to wash a part. We used to have a portable one that was a top loader that wouldn't hold big parts but would have been pretty handy for something like that.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. noexit

noexit

I'm setting this up closed loop so that I can reuse water based parts cleaning solution. Right now, I have a 5 gallon bucket sitting on top to act as the reservoir. I might put a small manual parts washer tank on to for scrubbing tough stuff.
    I'm planning on trying purple Simple Green first. It has worked well for me a room temp in a standard manual parts washer. I also plan on putting a filter between the reservoir and the washer so make the solution last longer.

mrspeedyt and Just Gary like this.
  13. noexit

noexit

Most dishwashers are designed to have household water supply up to 100 - 120 PSI attached to them. Most of my pump options won't get that high.

I would think that the internal pumps would be fine with some particulate matter since they're pumping that stuff around when they're washing dishes. I will have an inline filter on the supply line.

14. noexit

noexit

The reason I'm doing this is 1.) I have an old dishwasher and 2.) I always hear from old timers about that one time their wife caught them with parts in the dishwasher, and how well it worked, but they got in trouble so they can't do it anymore. So I thought I'd try it out, but not get kicked out of the house.
    I suppose before I actually spend money on a pump, I should just dump some part washer solution in there and try it out.

15. (Fast edit: I see that you just mentioned "water based parts cleaning solution". In that case you can ignore my concern below. You should be good.)

I'm not an expert and I don't know any facts, but..........
    If you're using any type of solvent, I'd be sort of worried about any kind of vapors that could be explosive. They actually have fans and vents to push out the humidity in the drying cycle. Dishwashers are engineered for water solutions and therefore no thought has been given to having the motors, switches, and contacts sealed from electric arcs, sparks, etc.
    Maybe I'm being Chicken Little but at least check with someone who is an "expert".

16. You won't find hard, gritty carbonized 'stuff' on most dishes.

17. noexit

noexit

True. So far I only have about $30 into this, and most of that was Arduino stuff to replace the dead circuit board. If it doens't work, no huge loss.

VANDENPLAS and Just Gary like this.
  18. Budget36

Budget36

Seems to me you want a closed loop system that doesn’t drain out, but can be reused?

19. I used to fix dishwashers, and I would dispose of old leaky ones to whoever needed a parts washer. Patch up the leak (or replace the pump as a shaft seal leak meant a rusty pump shaft), put in the old 1 colour powder dishwashing stuff, hook up to the garden tap and drain, and wash away. When it dies or leaked too much again, look at the freebies ads (or pay $20) for another.

mrspeedyt and VANDENPLAS like this.
  20. rpu28

rpu28
    from Austin

I have nothing to add as far as converting a dishwasher into a parts washer, but can say with authority that it's not a good idea to put a '40 Ford steering box in the dishwasher without asking.

'34 Ratrod, VANDENPLAS, X38 and 3 others like this.
  21. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

My ex had a new Whirlpool Commercial dish washer I bought her...

I was 'shade-treeing' Porsche 356's at the time, so after a quick gasoline wash of the 3 case pieces (356 T-6 alum.) I slipped the three into the dishwasher and turned it on high, with 'clear rinse'.
    Man...After a wash and rinse cycle, they shone like jewelry!
    Wife got home, became aware that my cases had gone thru...I said I had a crank, cam, and 4 rods to go.
    She told me where to go...

Eventually, she left. Took the washer and all the other other things with her.
    I married a 'trophy wife' then...that's what the ex called her... Hah!
    Now, if I want to wash engine parts, lovely 'trophy wife' helps. She measures, assembles, and final checks everything.
    Best wrench I ever worked with. Best lookin', too.

22. noexit

noexit

Confirmed that it fills when hooked up to a tap, so I'm going to try it with some cleaner and some parts tonight after I get the temperature sensor set up. If I'm satisfied with that, then I spring for a pump.

23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you think the "spot free rinse" would work on chrome and polished parts? Asking for a friend.

24. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

You've never been in my kitchen after I've been cooking......

I've been known to overcook things a time or two...:D:D:D

25. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Typical domestic waterline pressure is 30-60 psi, once you get over 80 you’ll have issues with your faucets.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  26. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

hook it up to the hot water spicket on the bottom of your water heater. more heat the better.

VANDENPLAS and Just Gary like this.
  27. noexit

noexit

I don't have water in my garage, and I'm recirculating the cleaning fluid.

28. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Why not by pass water inlet pressure switch so it thinks it's connected to street water source?

osut362 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  29. 1pickup

1pickup

@noexit PM me if you want a brand new never used pump from a parts washer that I converted to a bathroom sink.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.