Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1939 Ford 1/2 Ton Project

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dan Richey, Sep 20, 2021.

1. Dan Richey

Dan Richey

My name is Dan Richey and I have a '39 Ford 1/2 ton and a '39 Ford Tudor Deluxe. I've had the 1/2 ton since 1973 and now have the cab off and frame stripped. I am looking to build a daily driver that I don't have to work on every day. I've been headed toward building up the '53 Flathead, but now that I have the Tudor, I'm thinking about putting a 302 in the truck. I've seen it done, but now I'm doing it, so I need details if I can find them.
    I've followed this site before, so I know the folks here have some good insights. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
  2. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How are COVID shots different than newbie introductions?
    I don't know either but make an introduction man! A little respect!. Some peoples kids.

Oh, there's a ton of room in there. I fit a 330 Desoto Hemi with mechanical fan without touching the firewall.
    Now, make an introduction post or we shall not speak to you further.

alanp561 likes this.
  3. Wanderlust

Wanderlust

Just post some pics and the complaining will go away

4. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

An acceptable alternative, depending on the pics of course.

alanp561 likes this.

5. Dan Richey

Dan Richey

Did I do OK? Not sure what is enough and what is too much detail. I have a wife for rent if that helps......

6. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Again, pics of the wife. We have rules that must be followed or there will be anarchy.

7. Dan Richey

Dan Richey

Thx. I'll work on figuring out how to upload the 35mm film.....

Bandit Billy likes this.
  8. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

biggest issue with the SBF in the 35 - 40 frame is the front sump hits the crossmember, so either oil pan swap and strange mounting angles or cut the firewall.

9. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Would a pan from a van or the M word work? The bought a donor '83 van with a 302 that had a rear sump that I had to change out to install it in my '54 Ranch Wagon project. I can take a photo and post it tomorrow if you think that would help.

10. Even with the rear sump oil pan, the front portion of the pan still has an area (wear the oil pump hangs down) that is deeper than the SBC which is one of many reasons people typically use the Chev engine in these cars.
    I, at one time was going to install a SBF in one, and found even with the rear sump pan, the engine had to sit higher, which presented problems with the firewall, and proper alignment engine/trans/level carb mounting surface.
    People have successfully installed SBF's in these, hopefully they'll chime in and give you some details that actually help..I'm curious also how they overcame those obstacles.
    Welcome, and yeah, pictures.

11. I have actually done that job. I remember a little K member work was done, nothing to the firewall. This was back before the common Cell phone/Digi camera. That also means my oil pan issue was cured with a Non H.A.M.B. friendly package. Yes I have still photos of it but if I post them up the powers to be will give me the Boot. It isn't that tough, hang the motor in place, remove everything that makes contact repair accordingly and fill the gap between the rubber mounts and the Frame rails. If I can do it You too can do it pal.