Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1940 Plymouth Coupe Build!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1959apache, Dec 14, 2009.

1. 1959apache

1959apache

Finally settled in a house in NorCal, got the garage setup and I have been working on the coupe! Working on the front suspension first, as the previous owner had installed a few things incorrectly (i.e. cut springs, sway bar mounted incorrectly, shock relocation located incorrectly, etc.). Will be posting pictures soon, stay tuned!

rockable likes this.
  2. 1959apache

1959apache

New rear shackles and front coils from Andy Bernbaum. The PO cut the coils too much, so I was forced to buy a new pair.

Have the rotors out getting turned (they are new, but surface rusted). Should be getting those back today.

Next up, ‘84-‘00 Cherokee sway bar. Shock relocation is completed, however I do not believe it is in the correct location, will advise. Based on the setup Monroe 31000 shocks. Placed a $500 order with summit this morning, should see quite a few goodies tomorrow or Wednesday. If the parts work then I’ll be giving out the part numbers.

Following the above work, I will be setting up brake lines and steering.

Attached Files:

3. 1959apache

1959apache

Looks like the shock mount is in a decent position, however the hole is egg shaped, so I have a little welding and drilling to do.

The sway bar will be in on Thursday. In the meantime, I had the rotors turned and purchased new bearings and seals. Looks like I’ll mount the discs and go on the hunt for the calipers I stashed somewhere tomorrow.

Attached Files:

rockable likes this.
  4. 1959apache

1959apache

Well, it looks like I am going to have to relocate the upper shock mount. It is just in the wrong spot and will need to be moved back about 1/4” to 3/8” to keep the shock from either hitting the upper control arm or rubbing the shock sleeve onto the upper shock mount.

I will also need to see if I can swap this bushing so that the grease zerk is facing forward to avoid the shock.

Attached Files:

rockable likes this.
  6. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wow. Glad to see you're back on it! Keep us up to date!