Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 32 ford chassis value vs buying aftermarket

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Weldinrust, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Weldinrust

Weldinrust
    from Maine

I picked up a project recently, a 31 ford sedan body on a rolling 32 ford chassis, plus a couple of pickup truck loads of parts. I just got the car in the shop recently and started looking things over, most likely the only thing from this 32 rolling chassis I am going to use will be the rails, I have all the parts and pieces (split wishbones axels rear axle suspension etc...) to build what I want. This 32 chassis is a roller with a V.I.N number. I am thinking I could probably sell this chassis and be able to buy a new set of rails and all the crossmembers, pre cut boxing plates. I browsed on Speedway and for a couple of grand plus shipping and a bit of fitting and welding I could have a pretty nice, all new metal chassis. Does having a ford V.I.N add much value to a hotrod these days? The last Hotrod I built had a state issued V.I.N and it was not a problem, they sent an inspector over here, riveted a tag on the car and left me the paperwork to register it. that was a scratch built tube chassis and a 38 ford cab

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 and Deuces like this.
  2. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

I always like orginal

Deuces likes this.
  3. catdad49

catdad49

Put it out there, then you’ll know the value. Good luck with the “new” build!

Deuces likes this.
  4. Hamtown Al

Hamtown Al
    Member Emeritus
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

The value is in the eye of the beholder and reflects his personal view.;) You can certainly build a good chassis from an original but you've got to have the discipline to carefully check, and re-check;), each step along the way to ensure that it doesn't get any mistakes incorporated into the final product. Of course, a "new" chassis could also have some building errors as well but a chassis from a well known builder adds value to the finished car or truck to me because I won't have to be as concerned to check the chassis to make sure it is right. I'm proud to say that my pickup sits on a complete chassis from Fatman.:) I think it also comforts a potential future buyer that the chassis and suspension are most likely right on the money and thus makes the hot rod more valuable to him. Having never offered my old pickup for sale, even though there seems to be some interest in getting it from me:eek::D; I can't share any real personal test of my thinking.;):D
    I was eager to effect a trade some years back wherein I traded a 40 coupe with a 291 hemi and 5 speed for a 40 Ford pickup project that was on a new TCI(I think) chassis. It was certainly a good chassis. Dang truck found a new home before I got it finished... I was flat out of room!!:eek::D It always seems that way around my garage.:rolleyes::D:D
    I will share that a buddy of mine has built a number of Model As very quickly and he decided that buying a new chassis would save him considerable time and actually save him some money... and it worked out that way!!:)
    I've got a smart and very capable buddy... and he's a big help to me now and then!;):)
    Good luck with your project no matter which way you go.

lothiandon1940, catdad49 and Deuces like this.

5. If you are going to use an original chassis you should set up in a jig to make sure that it is square before you weld anything onto it. The people that build good chassis's do this in order to get a good finished product. If you are content with having a state issued V.I.N. there are people out there who live in states where that might be a problem, and would be willing to pay good money for an original frame with good numbers. Some people state that you might be time and money ahead by buying a finished chassis. Think before you act.

6. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

If you plans for the original chassis is to remove all the crossmembers and set up for modern driveline, just sell the original chassis to someone that would appreciate having a frame with all the original crossmembers installed. Sure looks like a nice frame from the pic.

7. alchemy

alchemy

Yep, the value is to a fella who wants the whole chassis with original crossmembers. You can sell this one and have more than enough money to buy new rails and all the crossmembers. I don't really think a 32 serial number is much use to a 31 sedan.

Beanscoot likes this.
  8. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Do you have a title that matches the 32 VIN? If you do and that's the title to the '31, you better get your Maine issued new Vin attached to your new 32 rails before you unload the 32 chassis/title.
    If you have the 32 VIN titled (for use on the '31 build) and plan to keep it with new rails, you'll need to grind off the VIN from the original rails before you sell it so someone else doesn't try to register it.

If you go the newly created VIV for your new rails, the Deuce roller with clean title will be worth a lot of money to a lot of people!!! You may get enough $$$ from it to build an entire new rolling chassis for your '31!

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  9. Weldinrust

Weldinrust
    from Maine

Maine Does not issue a title for something this old, when the time comes to register it they will send an inspector here and Issue a V.I.N, then I can register it from that.

stillrunners likes this.
  10. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Why Wast a original 32 vin # or frame for any thing other then used for a 32.
    Things are a lot different then what was done 40 plus year ago .
    The Vin # does Not originally include
    "Body" even to this day!!!
    Only Engine ,trans , rear ,frame.
    Befor WWII. & I have seen Va titles with multiple Vin numbers , State issued before 1967.
    With all the database and computers now I wonder how it would be @ a DMV or Insurance company when they inter lets say 32 # 18----- but the Body is a 1925 T or a 30 chevy body etc.,
    I would say its title as 32 Ford year , but thats just because of frame Vin so what issues would come up if vehicle was stolen ,fire or accident?
    In your state for what ever the reason will Not Re-issue a title for a vehicle that old, ( other sates not this way ) You can fund a new Pinched 32 for A body , or new aftermarket 32 rails . Because you will be Issued a Vin number not associated with the original frame Vin.
    The Original 32 rails are more Valuable & cover the cost of aftermarket frame, even More if Clear with 32 title ,

The A body is not going to line up with any of Body mount holes on 32 frame ,

Jig are not required to build a chassis for 1 time or here & there Unless your a running a production run a chassis every few days or more.
    Move around to different location when welding / tacking.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    big duece likes this.
  11. A Boner

A Boner

Frame with original vin, could or not, be VERY important...depending of your state car title laws!

12. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

Here in ks if numbers are clear, vehicles and frames 1949 and older can get titles without visual inspections.

13. Does look like a nice original frame and like was said if your going to hack it up sell it and build a new one.

14. Don't separate the original Ford '32 frame from its title paperwork. If you feel the need to use new rails, go through the process of obtaining a state-issued VIN as you did before.

15. Squablow

Squablow

An original frame with a readable number and intact crossmembers will bring a good dollar, if you only plan to use the rails and if you don't mind having reproduction pieces under your car, then I think you're on the right track to sell your original frame and buy the new stuff.

I know that if I were in the market for one, I would pay a premium for an original Ford frame with readable numbers, as I value that originality plus in the state of Wisconsin those numbers make getting a title much easier. If that frame already has a matching title, double the value.

chickenridgerods likes this.
  16. don't buy new frame stuff from speedway. they have plenty of business. look up R-Jays Speed shop. Corey builds great stuff with the best prices out there and is great to work with. Plus you're supporting a hot rodder in his own shop. Not the Wal Mart of speed shops.

https://rjays.com/

Just Gary likes this.
  17. indyjps

indyjps

Good points. On the year of the body vs chassis. Most cops, DMV, insurance folks can't tell the difference. If the tag matches the title - OK. They just see really old car. :D My wife calls anything mid 1920's to mid 40's a "Dick Tracy car".

18. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the Deuce Chassis is not hacked up and has good complete cross members I go along with the guys who say sell it to someone who really wants the original chassis and use the money to buy a new frame from one of the Hamb member frame builders.
    Rj-'s builds nice frames as nailhead Jason said above.
    Gary at Cornhuskers builds and ships frames all the time. You might have to take a number and get in line but he turns out a quality product.
    Rusty at Dirty's of Dallas in Texas builds a nice frame.
    There are probably a couple more but those three do it as a regular part of their business.

I always View Speedway as the last place to go after you don't find it elsewhere except for T bucket and circle track items. They bought out the Go to T bucket outfit when the owner retired and sold out. They were the go to circle track outfit long before they got into the street stuff on a serous level.

Nailhead Jason likes this.