Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 26 T rear suspension question.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rusty rocket, Sep 19, 2021.

1. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

I picked up a t roadster that will be a father son project built with an early 50s style. I’m going to use the T frame that will get boxed. So my question is rear spring options. I have an early bronco 9” that will be used. My first thought was to z the frame in the rear and use a T spring over the axle of the 9”. Last week I picked up a set of 35/6 rear bones so now I’m wondering if I should run a spring behind the axle. I have a T spring and a 40 rear spring so parts are not an issue, just wondering what would work the best. If I run a spring behind I’ll have to add length to the rear of the frame but if I run the t spring I’ll lose a lot of trunk floor. Give me you all’s 2 cents.

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Use a later year flat spring for starters and you may not need to step the rear portion of your frame much and that way you can keep some trunk space free.
    Next problem, where to put the gas tank...

MMM1693 likes this.
  3. silent rick

silent rick

will a later year flat spring fit inside the model T crossmember?

4. alchemy

alchemy

If you use a T spring with the 36 bones, be aware how much clearance your frame rails will have over the axle tube. My brother used 36 bones on his extended A frame with an A spring, and there's not much room over the axle.

5. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used the Tardel step in the rear and built the brackets for the spring behind rear perches. I used a '48 unsplit front wishbone for the rear end. I had to add almost 10 inches to the overall length of the frame due to the combination of the front and rear spring behind axles and still have the stock Model A wheelbase. rear end and spring hung.jpg

AndersF, WalkerMD, OFT and 2 others like this.
  6. rusty rocket

rusty rocket

Thanks for the picture. That looks good

7. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

20200726_085710 (1).jpg
    You're welcome. Hope it helps. Another shot from the front.

AndersF likes this.
  8. Blake 27

Blake 27

My friend's 27, it's full fender-ed but might have some usable ideas. The cross member was flattened and left loose
    until the final tire placement was decided upon.
    DSC003801.JPG DSC009091.jpg

AndersF and alanp561 like this.