Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical delete!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dumprat, Sep 18, 2021.

1. Paul

Paul
    Editor

As said already, when one wheel lifts through uneven road surface, body roll in cornering, engine torque or any live load it will tear the cross member.

2. Looks like plenty of room to mount a spring properly.
    Nice car.

Splitbudaba and Paul like this.
  3. A pan hard does not eliminate side shear.
    It absorbs most of those forces to itself.
    A single shear bolt added to a hole drilled in a front axle isn’t able to “eliminate” or take all the side shear. (My worthless opinion anyway)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    Paul likes this.
  4. Splitbudaba

Splitbudaba

Yeah I get it, I have a Pete and Jakes clamp not camp, kit for her!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  5. Deuces

Deuces

Woh, what's with the name callin' dude?????o_O These guys here are trying to save your ass from a nasty wreck...:rolleyes:

6. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Plenty of room for good new ideas , should not be any room for bad ideas .... They seem to sort themselves out ..

WiredSpider, Deuces, Paul and 2 others like this.
  7. I'm not trying to rain on your parade, but stop and think, you would be asking a lot for a single bolt to hold the spring in place, even using a mono spring.

The roads all over the country are notoriously bad, pot holes,ruts & railroad tracks, it wouldn't take much of the aforementioned hazards to sheer that bolt.

Having sheered a spring eye perch I know all too well how that turned out, fortunately I didn't loose the entire front suspension. HRP

VANDENPLAS, Splitbudaba and Deuces like this.
  8. Why argue about it and say bad words, just do it. Always more fun to say i told you so, and if we don't hear back from you, we'll assume it didn't work.

9. jetnow1

jetnow1
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from CT
    1. A-D Truckers

I have had a shock mount torn out of the frame on a 87 chevy pickup when I hit a pothole at about 70 on the CT turnpike. There is no way I would trust a single bolt to hold the spring.

Splitbudaba and VANDENPLAS like this.
  10. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

Ford twin I beam front axles only have one bolt holding them in place at the pivot point. I have changed them where the bushing has been gone for a long time and the bolt has cut into the axle. I never thought it was a good design but Ford must have.

das858 likes this.
  11. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Is that bolt mounted as single-shear, or double-shear?

12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Based on having read about half of your 18,000+ posts, I suspect that your question is rhetorical?

13. alchemy

alchemy

And that twin I-beam bolt is probably about 7/8" diameter, isn't it? The OP is asking about a whole lot smaller bolt, trying to hold a springing member with no bushing.

It's nice that guys come up with new ideas about how to build hot rods. But when they get pissy because the advice they get says it won't work, they should be able to take it in stride. Maybe they give it a try in secret and say " told ya so" when it works later. But they should also be brave enough to tell us it didn't work.

harpo1313 likes this.
  14. TA DAD

TA DAD
    from NC

been a long time, probably double I would think