Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Punching holes in frame webbing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 8ntsane, Sep 19, 2021.

1. 8ntsane

8ntsane

I purchased frame webbing from a well known hot rod shop.
    For the life of me I cant seem to figure a way to put holes in this stuff. It looks like seat belt material. I guess I could just cut it so it just ends before and after any given hole. What have you guys done in the past? This is for my 34 3-w ford.

Thanks Paul

2. HotRod33

HotRod33

Can you lay it down on a board and drill a hole in it

3. olscrounger

olscrounger
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You want a hollow punch set. Similar to this one or the ones shown below it.
    eBay item number:

You should be able to find sets locally or find them on Amazon. They are handy as hell for gasket making as that is what I bought my first small set for about 50 years ago.

Hollow punch sert.jpg

5. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Piece of copper tubing, hold it with vice grips, heat it with a propane torch and melt the holes into the webbing, Also cauterizes the hole so it doesn't fray.

Bugguts, Muttley, Roothawg and 7 others like this.
  6. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

.or you can fold it at the hole centerline and cut a vee into it .. slightly smaller than the bolt size and the bolt will slip past it.. square hole round peg idea...

7. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

I'd burn it, the copper tubing is a good idea but I've used a soldering iron before.

Crazy Steve and XXL__ like this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

This is the ticket. My dad had a dozen we used from belts, gaskets and mounting mudflaps.
    Lay thee material on a block of wood on a solid base, hammer a hole. Found it best to use a short handle 2lb sledge. Not much effort needed.

nochop likes this.
  9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've made replacement rubber pieces for exhaust hangers a number of times by using a razor knife to cut a piece out of a tire sidewall and my hollow punch to punch the holes in it. That started after I bought one at the parts house and it was made out of a sidewall out of a tire complete with part of a whitewall.

10. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I drilled holes in mine. The bolts go right through it. No muss, no fuss.

11. unforgiven

unforgiven
    from East Tn

My dad and I used a spent 45 shell with pliers and a propane torch to burn a hole in the webbing.

12. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

I use a hole punch and piece of wood . I mark the holes with a soap stone . image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

stanlow69, osage orange and harpo1313 like this.
  13. 8ntsane

8ntsane

Thanks guys , I did try drilling but just caused a frayed mess with this material. I do have a cheapo hole punch set I use for gaskets, and holes in belts,,,so gave it a shot. Results were not as clean as Id like. Could be they were not sharp enough. So I broke the propane torch. Now the hot tip worked really nice. I was impressed. Then trying to cut off my test piece off the roll using sheet metal snips was not getting a clean cut. The heat worked so well, I heated up a old putty knife and made a very clean cut. Perfect, With the from you guys, I can do the holes and cut this stuff off nice a neat.
    Thanks Very Much Guys

leon bee and olscrounger like this.