Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Cruising the Coast

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B.A.KING, Sep 19, 2021.

1. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Ok Never been south to a show. Got a chance to go down and check out this show. Never been. Do i need to plan on the whole week? Is the swap meet worth going to? Is the whole show worth going to. Just need some opinions. That is if another Hurricane doesn't show up. And there is that covid thing also..........

2. WOODEYE

WOODEYE

Went three years ago and was worth every minute. If you have a week you can keep it full

3. uncleandy 65

uncleandy 65

I have been there in 2018 and 2019. It is sure worth going to and the swap was pretty decent. In 2019 we had to leave early because of the hurricane that was coming in that area. They say Mississippi is the worst state for the covid so be careful.

4. primed34

primed34

BTW the Nostalgia Fall Classic drag race in Bowling Green, Ky. is Oct. 16 and 17. Didn't want you whining about not knowing about it again.:D

5. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

This is the 25th Anniversary for Cruisn’ the Coast. I’ve gone every year except 3 or 4 when the weather was going to be bad. I live within 75 miles of Biloxi and it’s always fun. I think last year they had well over 8,000 entries and who knows how many just show up. A bit of everything from antiques, street rods, HAMB friendly, muscle cars, sports cars, etc. There are five venues along the coast and it is a rolling car show on the beach highway. Lots of things to see and do. If you go to Cruisn’ the Coast website there is a lot of information. Make sure you have a reservation if you plan on staying as rooms can be hard to find and expensive.

catdad49 likes this.
  6. unfinished

unfinished

I'm lucky enough to stay in the swap meet as a friend is a vendor. It is decent sized, but more new stuff than used, vintage parts. Amazing amount of cars on the highway and everywhere else you look!

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  7. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It's a great event but I'm a local so I'm a little bias,

unfinished likes this.
  8. I hate this show. I go once every 6 years to make sure it still sucks. Too many late model jap cars on cruise night. If there was a HAMB meet and greet away from the traffic I would go but otherwise I will steer clear again this year. Oh and a bunch of trailer queens how can I forget

9. 29moonshine

29moonshine

if you go go monday - thursday lots of thing to do. friday and saturday it is a parking lot it took me a hr and a half to go 3 miles on a saturday

1956 F100 likes this.
  10. We went two years ago. Enjoyed it immensely. The venues are great. Never actually made it to the swap meet area. Too much to see. Traffic is killer, be prepared. Cruising at night is fun to watch.

11. mickeyc

mickeyc

I have been a few times. I limit my venture to the western end
    of the state at Bay Saint Louis. Stayed on the West side of the bridge
    and found parking easier walking easier. All around a less hectic
    experience. Still lots of nice cars to enjoy parked through the
    small downtown and beach front area. Have not been in a few years
    that may have changed. I know guys that went along the beach area
    near Gulfport and had their Harleys overheat from idling in the traffic
    jam for so long. The last few years I went to the Bayou Roundup
    in Lafayette La on the same weekend as the coast. That was a really
    good time, laid back event with lots of Hamb friendly cars and
    folks. Apparently was has been cancelled the last year. Hope it gets
    revived.

leadsled and Stu like this.
  12. RMONTY

RMONTY

I've been to Cruising the Coast several times, and it is well worth the trouble of dealing with all the traffic and hubub going on. I was lucky enough to have friends that live there so finding a hotel wasn't an issue. I'll probably go again, but not this year.

13. HRBOB34

HRBOB34

We are planning on going again this year!
    Swapmeet is so,so?
    Nice event, lots to see and do! Many good restaurants!
    We will be there in the 34 sedan this year!

14. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

I hope a flock of termites land on your car..................

15. primed34

primed34

16. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

like yogi berra said..its so busy no one goes there anymore...

17. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Haven't been in years, a hurricane took out the house we used to rent in Golf Port.

18. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Anyone else???

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

if you go be sure to take a lot of pics & post here

20. boutlaw

boutlaw

B.A. King, I think you're to close NOT to check it out...I think you'll enjoy...

I try to make it every year...as mentioned Sunday thru Thursday best days IMO..traffic gets bad friday and saturday.
    Swap meet is BIG, mostly new parts with some generally overpriced used stuff, but folks are usually parked along 90 with a trailer with more swap meet priced parts, lots of cars, projects and finished cars all along 90 as well. I never have any trouble driving Hwy 90 (Coast Highway) in my 31 thru thursday...thats why I leave thursday afternoon. With 8000 registered cars, theres probably another 4000+ unregistered, so lots to see. If youve never been, I would go. Lots of nice rides, and some junky RR crap too...regarding covid, per local TV, the numbers for hospitalizations has dropped significantly in last couple weeks in the state.

21. boutlaw is likely correct with his estimate of 4000+ unregistered, because I have never registered

22. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Couple of of pics from last year

Attached Files:

Max Gearhead likes this.
  23. Bbdakota

Bbdakota

I've been going for 23 years. It's gotten to crowded too cruise down 90 Friday and Saturday. The wife and I look at the schedule (check out the web site), pick a venue, get there early and that's where we stay for the day. There's too much to see. There's parties on the side of 90, people line hwy 90 and watch the cars cruisin, sock hops, burnout contest, flame throwing contest. Block parties, lots of live entertainment at each venue. View the cruise in Gulfport is nice, the block party in Biloxi Wednesday is great.... but I've seen the swap meet do many times, it's kinda old to me. There's a bunch of neat stuff at the swap meet but not much vintage parts. Can't wait!

24. B.A.KING

B.A.KING

Soooooo, how early do i need to be there to get spot on the gulf side of 90. Wifey wants to set on beach while i watch cars It our 1st time.
    Daylight? just wondering

25. BA King check out the event in Moss Point on Tuesday. Nice ride to a cool little town. Cars fill Main Street. Go early to the Block party in downtown Biloxi on Wednesday. Across from the Hard Rock hotel. Enjoy yourself. Gary

26. boutlaw

boutlaw

Theres 20 -30 miles of beach..finding a spot should not be a problem..MY OPINION..I would find beach/park spot between Gulf coast coliseum and city of Gulf Port...seems to be more parking spaces, easier to get in and out...I would be there 8 or 9 monday thru wednesday earlier on thursday to sunday....Biloxi and Ocean Springs super crowded..Bay Saint Louis is a great venue IF YOURE REGISTERED the day they have CTC event there,, lots of shops for women..Ocean Springs is awesome for the women but be there at 3 AM (REALLY) to find a spot to park your car if youre registered on CTC venue day..not registered, you aint getting in. You can also park at the Cruise Central area and see every car while you sit in the shade, but its across 90 from Beach..dont have to be registered...every car...registered and unregistered will drive thru Cruise Central at some point...

If you see the green 31 Model A coupe in my avatar at any point, wave me down and say hi...I will be on beach side between Gulf Port and coliseum on Tuesday...a buddy is selling SBC, tri 5, and hot rod parts off a trailer..so should be ez to spot...

Hamtown Al likes this.
  27. pirate

pirate
    from Alabama

Two friends and myself along with wife’s got here yesterday (Saturday Oct 1st) in our RV’s and cars. Went to Gulfport this morning about 9:30AM for the kickoff party show. I think theres more cars there then I ever saw before also looks like more activity for a first Sunday start then I’ve seen before. Should be a great week!

Hamtown Al likes this.
  28. 6sally6

6sally6

I'm headed there TOMORROW!!
    This will be my third trip (first time I'm staying a full week)
    If it's possible to 'OD' on hot rods that is what will happen there.....
    Last years "coolist thing we saw" was...
    we were siting in the bumper-to-bumper traffic surrounded by all types of street rodz...(I was in my "M-word" pony car with the open headers...snotty cam... cherry-scented fuel..-I know....I know...playing like I was 16 years old)...when we heard this absolutely radical/thumping/ground-shaking(no kidd'in)/rip snort'in....'something' coming up somewhere behind us in the next lane. My buddy and I were twisting and turning trying to get a look at this gawd-awful sounding machine coming up on us.... making such a fuss.
    Up rolls a primered, mid-sixties, Ford Econoline Van with about a 1/2 dozen folks in it!! It was severly tubbed out and slammed almost to the ground! The whole crowd inside were having a blast! I've seen Pro Mods that weren't as radical sounding as that van. Never got a look under the hood(in the doghouse) but definately a big block with MAX CR. He totally drowned out my old hot rod SBF.:eek:
    I also saw a SBC powered dumpster cruis'in by and a gas powered bumper car (complete with the tall pole on the back of it) :confused:
    How 'bout a fully licensed street legal flip top funny car?! Complete with NITRO burning blown MoPar engine?!o_O
    NEVER a dull moment!
    That's why we're going back this year
    6sally6

unfinished and Max Gearhead like this.
  29. Stu

Stu
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kicked off the kick off party in downtown Gulfport yesterday at 4am

Attached Files:

Hamtown Al and Max Gearhead like this.
  30. Stu

Stu