Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical motor drain

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flatheadgary, Sep 19, 2021.

1. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

i have a 460 ford motor and it is in the car. i put all new freeze plugs in when i had it out. when i got it running there was a leak right behind the motor mount in one of them. i drained the water out and put in some k & w block sealer ran it for 30 minutes, like the can said and it stopped. i drained it out and opened all the drains, hoses and the thermostat housing. the only ones i couldn't were the screw in ones at the bottom of the motor, on each side. they are a allen head type. they wouldn't turn, as usual. i need to get them out since the water must be out below them for the sealer to dry and cure. i could remove the mounts but it is a real pain to do. i sprayed pb blaster for several days with no luck. i can't use heat because there right above the oil pan. does anybody have an answer to this?

2. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Could have just put in a can of BarsLeak & called it a day ....

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  3. BJR

BJR

Don't worry about it, your leak stopped. Flush the motor with fresh water, drain and add a mix of antifreeze and drive it.:D

4. I stripped an allen head drain plug on a SBC. Didn't want to introduce heat to loosen it up (same as you mentioned) so I drilled through it, tapped the next size smaller pipe thread and put a small pipe plug inside the seized plug. Worked for me :)

Hnstray likes this.

5. Sporty45

Sporty45

Can you get a battery powered impact gun on it? I've had good luck using one when just trying to loosen a plug with the wrench by hand will strip it.

6. flatheadgary

flatheadgary
    from boron,ca

great replies!! i thought about the impact gun but there is no room to get it in there. it is a little late for the bars leak. besides i have never had it work for me. i like the idea about drilling it out but there is no room to get it in there either .
    thanks for the replies.