Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Drag Week 2021

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Mar 30, 2021.

1. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Heres one for Joel. 20210917_190941.jpg

bchctybob, Stogy, 57 300 and 13 others like this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

3. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

4. Man, you must have started early if you stopped before Tulsa and have already hit Shamrock! So much for wondering if I would see you go by. :D

5. I gotta ask, how many cars have come up beside you wanting to race?

Stogy, alanp561, 427 sleeper and 9 others like this.
  6. Jim,...what kinda gas mileage does that Chevy II get out on the road?

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

Gets around 11 mpg. No races yet.

PXL_20210919_190156735.jpg

bchctybob, Stogy, alanp561 and 14 others like this.
  8. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think you should stop in all the towns you go through on the way back and hustle up street races for gas money. Maybe pick up a cute girl on the way. You could film the whole thing, it would make a great movie…

-Abone.

Jibs, bchctybob, alanp561 and 12 others like this.
  9. lake_harley

lake_harley

"Gotta change the jets"

Lynn

10. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

^^^^^ Right!

Stogy likes this.
  11. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Im sure you are just Joking/Funning around , But if not , Jim is not into the street challenging.

12. Call it "two lane blacktop through the corn fields" :D

Stogy, 427 sleeper, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  13. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I gotta hand it to these HAMBers...I don't know how they do it. Build a car, then thrash the living shit out of it....and do it a bunch of times. Hell, I break shit just going to a local cruise-in:(

bchctybob, Stogy, 41 GMC K-18 and 5 others like this.
  14. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Remember, the last time he seriously broke something it was his tow rig that he was towing the Chevy II with a couple of years ago on the way to Drag Week.

I'd say that a well built to begin with well sorted out car has a lot to do with it. The car isn't real fancy and doesn't have the trick of the week hot lick parts on it. It just has a well designed well researched setup with quality parts that handle the abuse.

Stogy, alanp561, 41 GMC K-18 and 4 others like this.
  15. Uh, remember when he had to rebuild the blower, pulled the blower without opening the hood because he signed up for the no maintenance challenge and they taped the competitors hood shut.

Stogy, alanp561, 6inarow and 4 others like this.
  16. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

We got home from Drag Week last night. I'll try to write up a bit of a story late this week. Short recap: came in 2nd in the Hot Rod class, best et 10.15. Had some issues just getting there, then a few problems on the road and on the track, but nothing we couldn't fix. Every day, we got to the track early, got one pass in, then hit the road. Not too much socializing at the track doing it that way, but safer to start the drive early in case of problems. Only talked to Squirrel a couple times briefly, spent a day carvaning with Tony. Had a great time, came home exhausted. More later coupe launch at martin.jpg

Last edited: Sep 20, 2021
    Jibs, Andamo, TA DAD and 32 others like this.
  17. squirrel

squirrel

It's pretty difficult to find time to talk to other racers, we're all so damn busy all the time!

Anyways, I made it home. No problems on the drive. I added a quart of water to the radiator this morning, it seemed it was running a little warm yesterday. Did fine today.

5464 miles total.

home.jpg

MBog, oldiron 440, Andamo and 48 others like this.
  18. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You had a hell of a week. Glad you made it home safe.

-Abone.

Stogy, swade41, TerrytheK and 4 others like this.
  19. Yep, glad you made it home safe! Thanks for taking us along on the ride. My son was following Drag Week and when I mentioned you drove your car there and back from Arizona, pretty sure you became his hero. He is ready to build an OT car to do it soon now... Sounds like a blast to me, just not sure he is up for it yet. We will see.

Stogy, loudbang, squirrel and 2 others like this.
  20. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Or Two lane black top "II"

21. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Thanks for taking us along. So cool!

22. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Enjoyed your trip! Thanks :D

Stogy, squirrel and loudbang like this.
  23. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Don't know if you guys saw this - I snapped it as one of the Drag Week participants was leaving Byron Dragway. :D

DSC_5654_1200.jpg

alfin32, sdluck, bchctybob and 13 others like this.
  24. TerrytheK

TerrytheK
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks @squirrel for starting the thread and @Hemi Joel and @mcmopar (and the rest of you guys too!) for adding your views. Three buddies and I road tripped to Indy and Byron to spectate. To me, the dedication and focus it takes to do this event is absolutely unbelievable. That's why I didn't spend much time socializing with any of the racers at the tracks, I basically tried to stay out of everyone's way! Came back with a lot of photos, mostly O/T stuff, and it was an absolute blast. Thanks again guys.

25. I was telling my son that watching it live on TV is a humbling experience, in your own little world you think you're doing something, then you watch a guy go 200+ mph in a square Volvo station wagon, guys doing it in old hot rods with antiquated parts, straight axle cars being driven half way across the country, beat on for a week, then driving back.
    Where are the guys that are always squaking about you can't drive those kind of cars ???
    My hat is off to you guys for sure.

26. squirrel

squirrel

thanks!

I was thinking about that on the way home....what it takes to get your car to the point that you trust it, and can also live with the way it is (comfort, etc). Apparently it's tough to do.

Anyways...finally got rested up a bit. I looked over the gas records, the Chevy got 11 mpg on the trip. Which is about what I got towing it with the 57 suburban in 2014 and 2016. I had to add a quart of oil when I was up in Michigan, and also added about a quart of water before the last day driving home. I never pulled spark plugs or the valve covers, and the only thing I did to the ignition was to check the timing, and I advanced it a bit because it appears I had not timed it properly when I had filed the points in 2019.

I did pull a plug when I got home, it looks just like they always look. And there in the background, blurry, is my poor neglected car trailer.

plug.jpg

My ETs this year ranged from 10.284 (first and last day in Michigan), to 11.65, also the last day in MI, when I did a lousy burnout and spun badly. The average of the 5 slips I turned in was 10.382. Not as quick as it has been in past years, but good enough to cinch last place in my class.

MBog, Tickety Boo, 51pontiac and 23 others like this.
  27. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Jim
    Not sure if you said this in some kind of philosophical way but my interpretation is like the quote that goes something like " it's not the destination but the journey that matters".
    Either way, I'm betting you enjoyed the journey!
    As always, we appreciate you taking us with you.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    427 sleeper, bchctybob, Stogy and 2 others like this.
  28. squirrel

squirrel

thanks!

I like irony....that's all. And it was about the journey this time.

29. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I forgot you ran points in that ol' girl. If you ever wanted to step up to a nice transistorized ignition someday, your secret would be safe with me.

-Abone.

30. squirrel

squirrel

Nope....not after the drive this year. Never a glitch, over 5k miles and 7 passes on the strip