Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Thread sealant on vacuum fittings?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by c-10 simplex, Sep 18, 2021.

1. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

Should thread sealant be used on vacuum fitting the screw into the intake manifold?

Note: i'm talking about the part that screws into the intake manifold, not the hoses that connect to the fitting.

2. Deuces

Deuces

Yes!..... I use Teflon tape on the threads but not on the first 2 threads of the fitting...

saltflats likes this.
  3. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

4. Yes, can become a small un metered leak. I like to use thread sealant over t tape (and not the plumbing type).

5. Elcohaulic

Elcohaulic

I used Indian Head Shellac when I need a sealant, usually I never need it though...

6. Mike VV

Mike VV
    from SoCal

Teflon tape...Booo. It gets places where no one wants it to be. Fuel pump filters and screens, oil pump screens, carburetor needle/seats.
    Use teflon tape nowhere ! Most plumbers...don't even use it.

I just use oil. This helps make sure that the fitting (both vacuum & pressure) go together with no galing. I've never had a leak, using a little oil in any of my automotive assemblies, and I'm old..!
    Though I did have a leak in a high pressure air gun (4350psi !). I had to use a special "paste" (NOT tape) to help seal that one.

Ok, all you tape experts...have at it.., you'll not change my mind.

Mike

7. chevyfordman

chevyfordman

I've had wonderful luck with Blue Monster on sealing everything and you don't have to over torque anything to get it to seal, great stuff, it's a paste.

8. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

The amount of air that could possibly leak around unsealed pipe threads into the intake manifold is insignificant and will not affect the mixture. But yes, I'd use a bit of paste or neverseize on them.
    I do use Teflon tape on occasion, and put it on the first threads even, because that's where it's needed. It's unlikely that any loose shreds will cause problems in an intake port.

Often times you can run a small "crack torch" type burner into the bores of the threaded fittings and burn off stray bits of Teflon tape.

By the way, any tape that can be seen in an assembled joint is outside of the joint and does no sealing. It's only the 3-5 threads that are actually engaged that have the opportunity to make a tight joint.

egads and Deuces like this.
  9. indianmark

indianmark

Loctite 567 is a high temp teflon based thread sealant. The best I have ever found.

10. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I use the crap out of teflon tape myself with no problems. The only trick to teflon tape is not starting it hanging over the edges of the fittings.

Deuces and egads like this.
  11. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Permatex #2…is my go to.

Paul likes this.
  12. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Loctite 545.

No tape!