Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Free Model T... what the heck do I do with it??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flynn's_57, Feb 10, 2021.

1. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

Hey guys,
    So, just this past week I met a cool guy (into muscle-cars, not hot-rods) who gave me:
    -a "1923" model T frame & suspension/running gear (and 2 wooden wheels) with a primitive tow-bar attached. No engine/trans/rad
    -3 "1923" 4-door closed-cab doors (1 is a front door, I haven't checked the other 2)
    -back section/rear window
    -a lot of old wood from the body
    -4-piece hood
    -Windshield frame
    -2 rear fenders

But no cowl pieces or firewall.
    I seem to find bodies w/o doors (anyone else have that problem??) frequently enough, I thought maybe I could just keep the doors and the rear spring and hope for the best-
    I was also thinking "model T speedster" but... No engine, no radiator, only 1 wooden wheel-
    Plus, I don't like speedsters that much.

I have the frame, suspension & running gear for my hot rod project already, so that makes me feel like I should leave all the "T" stuff alone. I have no idea what type of hot rod body I'm running, I suppose whatever I can cobble together or whatever falls into my lap.

Register on the Model T site I guess? The doors are pretty nice.

dana barlow likes this.
  2. scotts52

scotts52

Start building what you have. Make a thread here on the HAMB about it. Talk about what you have and don't have. I'll bet you'll have people contacting you to help with parts you need to build it. If you involve people on the HAMB, they really get involved.

3. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

Well, the HAMB is the only "hot rod" website I know.
    But the chassis isn't HAMB friendly, per-se.
    Dick Dean's Dot Rod from the 70's | The H.A.M.B.
    is my main influence.

Nowadays I'm pretty sure only rich guys or guys who know everybody & got the hook-up on everything get to build "period correct" hot rods.
    I read an article written in '89 "the other day" in which a '27 T body in a ditch sold for $15.
    $15.
    For a 5 window body.

Yep.

Makes me wonder what the heck did I do to fall in love with this stuff & not live in a time when I can afford it?
    God knows I guess (Hah! maybe I get to ask 'em.).
    I'm trying to build my cowl & firewall, but I'm not sure how to make the curves or where to scrounge them.

Trades???

4. rusty valley

rusty valley

generally speaking , the only 4 door T's around are cars that survived from indoor storage by someone who cared. the ones that got left outside turned into a pile of tin for the cows to clean they're feet on. Pretty much nobody, even the T folks will start with a tin pile 4door because they are an extremely wood intense project. Wood kits are about 4 grand. But...i'm sure a restoration is not on your mind. You could start a speedster project, maybe find a buyer for good doors, or watch for a cowl and make a whatever. i always thought free old car parts was a good thing, but now i have too much and would like to move some day, so free is not always a good thing. have fun...happy motoring

VANDENPLAS and Flynn's_57 like this.

5. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

Hmmm, well, I moved it all again, turns out my mind was playing tricks-
    I don't have 3 doors, because it's a tudor!! And I have both doors in great shape.
    (Along with some of the wood, not sure how much is there-)

But, I am still missing what I think is the most important thing on any hot rod, the cowl!
    Can anyone tell me what other years work? I don't notice any difference between a '23-'27, but maybe...?
    I was thinking of joining the model T forum also, but the "membership fee" scared me off.
    Cool, thanks.

6. rusty valley

rusty valley

If in fact you have a 23, then a 23-25 is the only option I believe. Big difference in 26-27's, mostly steel cars

Flynn's_57 and wood remover like this.
  7. 26-27 share the same cowl , gas flap on top of cowl body parts are also 26 27 specific , black era ts share a lot of body parts 1917 - 1925 . Mechanically most parts will fit all cars unless worried about correctness .Black car is 1919 and maroon car is 26 $_59.JPG.jpg $_59.JPG-1.jpg Resized_20181228_162823.jpeg Resized_20181228_162834.jpeg

VANDENPLAS and Flynn's_57 like this.
  8. Rust valley is correct with grouping 23 -25 as there is different things . but all parts will fit 1917 to1922 had a straight up and down windshield and a 2 person top . 1923 -25 has a slanted windshield and a 1 person top .
    But all will interchange there are other differences just depends on what your building and how correct you want to be .

VANDENPLAS and rusty valley like this.
  9. A Boner

A Boner

O.P.....Buy a camera.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    Tman likes this.
  10. rusty valley

rusty valley

I am not a smart phone guy, but I use an old digital camera to play on the internet. They are about 10 bucks now days since very few want them anymore.

11. I see the pictures just fine , if I wanted a real nice picture I would get my wife to photograph it . She is a professional photographer !!!having a good camera doesn't make you a better photographer !!!

12. Hollywood-East

Hollywood-East

Maybe whip up a truck cab ?

Flynn's_57 likes this.
  13. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sell it all and put the $ into your current project.

Just Gary and Flynn's_57 like this.
  14. Flynn's_57

Flynn's_57
    from Nor*Cal

So, it's a closed cab 2-door, not an open cab.

15. adam401

adam401

I love Ts. Sounds to me like youve got a pile of cool parts more than a car. Instead of noodling out how to make these parts into something sell them to folks that need them for their projects. Take the money and put it towards a body for your current project.
    Dont need to be a rich guy to build a period correct car just gotta hustle stuff sometimes to generate funds. This is a good oportunity to do that.

Just Gary likes this.
  16. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

I'm having trouble trying to understand what the two wooden wheels are for? Ford had steel wheels for it's vehicles, Chevy wooden wheels. Or, are you talking about steering wheels? Like adam401 said above, you might consider selling all the stuff you have to work on your current project. A 23 model T frame won't work well under a 40's era car. You state: ( I have the frame, suspension & running gear for my hot rod project already, so that makes me feel like I should leave all the "T" stuff alone. I have no idea what type of hot rod body I'm running, I suppose whatever I can cobble together or whatever falls into my lap.) I don't understand even building a frame with running gear, unless you know what type of body will be going on it. I'm not trying to bust your balls, but sounds like you need to make up your mind what type of project your going to build & stick with it. If you have room for the T stuff & are considering that as your next build, save it, otherwise sell it off, or trade it for what you do need.

17. Gofannon

Gofannon

26 Ts had wooden wheels, 27s had wires.
    upload_2021-9-19_10-54-38.jpeg

18. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_0537.jpg You could build a roadster with the parts you have and some swapmeet scrounging . Be prepared for some wood work.