Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods '56 GMC on my drive,

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dentisaurus, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Rusted headlight eyebrows are common. The explanation I got from my Grandpa ( he had one when it was new ) was that mud would get kicked up off the tires, and pack in between the headlight and the fender and rust the fender from the inside. The other common spots are the cab corners, driver and passenger floorboards, and the front of the rear fenders. That truck looks pretty solid. I had almost a foot of metal missing in one of my cab corners. Check out the earlier pics in my build thread as mine had rust in all those areas. I drove my truck for almost 5 years with a 261 - 6 cylinder and the stock 3-speed and rear end. The column shift was wore out so I put a Hurst truck shifter on the original transmission. Biggest problem was the the rear end had the stock 3.90s in it which meant it would top out at around 50 MPH.

2. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Spent a bit of time pulling the gas tank today. Seat looks like it will be fine with just a new cover but the tank is history. Only the paint holding it together, nothing left of the pickup tube and sender float!

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

3. flatford39

flatford39

If those are the original floors you are very lucky and way ahead of the game. Nice truck.

4. sololobo

sololobo

score - I love these trucks, the big back window is way cool. If that 270 runs it would be a nice daily with a split manifold and some twice pipes.

5. Floors look great!! I had big holes in mine that I had to patch.

6. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Floors are spotless!

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

When it comes to the overdrives these trucks, and cars, came with, is it almost costs as much now for the relay, wiring harness, and switches, as the cost of one of the Muncie 319 overdrive transmissions. That says something about making your own setup to control the overdrive. I happen to have THREE of the Muncie 319 overdrives on hand. I never cared for the "CARS" movies style front grille and bumpers on the early GMC's. Chevrolet grilles bolt in, from what I hear, and patch panels for these trucks are available. Years ago, I had an Ex-NAVY, 58 Chevrolet 3/4 ton, with the aircraft carrier length bed. It was still NAVY gray/grey. Somewhere in it's life, someone had installed a 55, 4 barrel, 265. I snapped the input shaft on the transmission one day leaving a stop sign, normally; it snapped right where the input shaft necks down at the end of the throwout bearing/retaining collar. I had another Muncie 318 transmission from a passenger car that I replaced the broken one with. Always thought it odd the top two transmission to bellhousing bolts thread into the bellhousing, but the two lower go from the bellhousing into threaded holes on the transmission. Passenger cars are't that way, only trucks (???). Anyone have an idea of why that is? Nice start for an old truck; should have kept mine, but it's been 40 years now. I am Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Got a little bit done to the truck this week. Gas tank and floor are done, mixed my own Rustomleum to something close to the original GMC gray. Brakes are almost finished and I scored a 3 speed with overdrive complete with the original relay, kick down switch and lock out lever. Result.
    IMG_0178.JPG IMG_0202.JPG IMG_0203.JPG

9. squirrel

squirrel

looking good!

Stogy likes this.
  10. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Rare tranny... Say, guys. What is a 'NAPCO' setup? (I'm more of a Ford guy, is it something GMC exclusive?)

11. squirrel

squirrel

NAPCO is the company that converted Chevy pickup trucks into 4x4s. Chevy started building their own 4x4s in 57, I think NAPCO continued for a couple years then quit.

Hamtown Al and olscrounger like this.
  12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

13. s55mercury66

s55mercury66
    from SW Wyoming

Yes, Chevy began building 4WD trucks in 1957, using NAPCO supplied parts through 1959. With the redesign for 1960, that came to an end.

olscrounger likes this.
  14. wvenfield

wvenfield

Find a Pontiac 316.

IMG_20170402_141059793.jpg

15. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

316 not really an option right now. The 270 seems to be in good shape and I have a soft spot for straight 6's but I'll bear it in mind should I need a new motor

16. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Been a while. As usual life got in the way.
    Finally got my truck running this week, the 6 purrs along .
    I got my brakes working , spent ages fiddling about to get the adjustable rod between the master and the booster the right length.
    Took it for the maiden spin around the block, not quite what i was hoping for.
    Initially I thought the brakes were still dragging but no, busted rear axle!
    Nasty clunk from the rear and the truck wanted to stall out as I pulled away.
    Jacked it up and when i spin one rear wheel, the other remains stationary.
    Might be time to go find a 10 bolt with 6 lugs. Any one know of a similar size rear axle that might work?
    Guess I should open it up and take a peek. Not tonight I'm afraid.

17. squirrel

squirrel

bummer. 1960s trucks had a similar size rear axle, Chevys usually had coil springs and a truck 12 bolt, GMCs usually had a Spicer 44 or 60 (yours might have a Spicer 40?)

Stogy likes this.
  18. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Been a long time since I posted an update. Or even signed in on the H.A.M.B.!
    Been puttering around on the stock drive line for a few years and decided to change things up. I scored a complete 76 XJ6 so time for independent suspension and a cross flow head
    Front suspension and engine are mounted. Need to build a trans mount next. Also messing about with a home made triple carb set up using a set of Harley carbs. I liking it so far.

Attached Files:

41 GMC K-18 and '28phonebooth like this.
  19. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Crazy but kool..Stick a GM sticker some where and tell folks it’s one of the cammers from the 90’s. I’ve seen 3 S&S’s on a 261 Chevrolet 6 so y-not. What’s the trans? Keep the photos coming..

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  20. Downplay the IFS so the site poelese don't bump you

21. Would love to see a pic as the how the hood badge is fastened to the hood. My 1957 GMC that I just got about a month ago and some sheet metal brackets holding the stainless steel insert to the hood…rattles like nobody’s business…

22. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Sure , though I got the how to on this from this very site so hopefully it won’t be a issue

23. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

I’ll get some pictures of what I have tomorrow

Motorwrxs likes this.
  24. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Stock jag auto trans for now but eventually it’ll get a T5

jimmy six likes this.
  25. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Looks like sheet metal tabs locate the emblem into the hood. IMG_1164.JPG

26. Thanks for the pic…are those tabs attached to the hood or are they part of the hood and just bent around the insert? Thanks again for posting the pic.

27. lcfman

lcfman
    from tn

I like your build and probably many others do also as was said watch out for Barney Fife he is lurking around.

28. dentisaurus

dentisaurus
    from Boston

Looks like the tabs are part of the hood sheet metal.

29. Appreciate you taking the the time to help me out… have to see what I can come up with.