Register now to get rid of these ads!

Door Panels

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by James Ganley, Sep 18, 2021.

1. James Ganley

James Ganley
    from CUSHING

I have a problem that has me stumped, trying to figure out how to cut the holes in a door panel 1950 Ford Prefect so it can be attached to the door, I have the old panels so a template is not needed how do I cut the slot to slide in the clips (hope I am somewhat clear) Has anyone used velcro for fastening door panels? Ideas, unnamed.jpg please

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  2. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

What are the door panels made of? The ones I have done didn’t have panels so I take clear plastic and tape the plastic to the door mark outside for panel size. I then mark any holes that will need to be drilled or I use a hole punch . You can get oval or square ones at leather supply houses like tandy .if you drill the hole just use a file to elongate it.

3. James Ganley

James Ganley
    from CUSHING

Door panels are a cardboard type material with a layer of cotton and vinyl stitched to the board and must have been some type of glue to hold the excess material tight on the backside

4. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

We use 3m adhesive or rubber cement tach on both side and stick together

5. James Ganley

James Ganley
    from CUSHING

What I need to know is after I have the panel upholstered can I use say velcro to fasten it to the door frame instead of the factory clips?

6. Yes you can. I use it on a lot of door panels. Go to Lowe's and get a roll of the industrial velcro. It's about 2" wide. With both pieces of the velcro stuck together, peel the plastic off the sticky and put it on the door panel. Cut pieces as big as you want. When you're ready, peel the other plastic off the sticky and with the panel in place, rub it down. Now you can pull the panel off by separating the velcro. Use some lacquer thinner or rubbing alcohol to clean the mating surface first

302GMC likes this.
  7. Brand Apart

Brand Apart
    from Roswell GA

I've had great luck using 3M adhesion promoter as well as cleaning 1st with alcohol. That Velcro will not come off without you really wanting it to I don't care how hot it gets in the car.

8. john worden

john worden
    from iowa

Make the holes before upholstering. Nibble the holes/slots open with one of the leather punch tools with the revolving wheel containing several sizes of dies. Individual dies can also be struck with a hammer to cut openings before upholstery of course.
    Velcro works but can be a bit thick.

continentaljohn likes this.
  9. SAM3 Customs

SAM3 Customs
    from Michigan

Check out https://magdaddyusa.com/ for magnetic trim panel fasteners.
    I've always thought they'd work well for door trim.

10. I used 3M DUAL LOCK fasteners on my 36 Ford. They are like velcro except all plastic and worked good even with repeated remove/ installs. Mitch

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
  11. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I've found that industrial velcro Lloyd speaks of works so well it can make it a pain in the arse to get the panel off. My panels are made from a waterproofed cardboard type material so they are a bit flimsy when put to much pressure on them. The solution put the velcro as close to the edge as you can and use wide flat putty knife splitting the velcro bond as you work your way around the panel if they need removed. Problem solved.

Lloyd's paint & glass likes this.
  12. Lol yeah you can easily "over attach" them. Small pieces will do fine.

deathrowdave and Lone Star Mopar like this.
  13. deathrowdave

deathrowdave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from NKy

The head liner in my ‘ 32 is roll and pleat attached to a trim board , it is held up inside the car with the Velcro . Everyone of my Buddies , chuckled “ you be the first to have a suspended ceiling in a hot rod”! Well 29 years later it’s still there . A few have ask “ where did you get the shit , holding the headliner up “? My answer is the “ the ceiling section at Home Depot “!

14. greg32

greg32
    from Indiana

Rare earth magnets. The latest thing with the high dollar custom upholsterers. Cheap, and amazingly strong. Cut a hole in door panel the size of magnet, piece of steel on the inside, magnet sticks to door on the other side, kinda a magnet sandwich.