Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Pourable die material

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotts52, Sep 18, 2021.

1. scotts52

scotts52

Hoping someone knows what I'm talking about and can give me the name of it

A long time ago, I read about some kind of sheet metal die that could be made by pouring something together. It initially made me think of concrete but I know that wasn't it.
    Whatever it was, you could make your own by using materials and then pour it into a mold. Once done you could stamp some parts. Wouldn't last very long, like the factory dies but you could reproduce a handful of the items.

2. lake_harley

lake_harley

Kirksite?

Lynn

fauj likes this.
  3. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

4. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There was an article in a magazine probably 20 years ago that was showing how to reproduce an embossed Jeep emblem. They just used Bondo from what I remember.
    They routerd out the negative in some hardwood then used a release agent and made the positive from Bondo or fibreglass filler (can't remember)
    I tried it and it worked in some 22Ga sheet metal

5. scotts52

scotts52

That's it. Thank you. I couldn't remember for the life of me.

6. Working with Kirksite isn't just a regular DIY deal. If you have the capacity to melt the amount needed for your project, then what? What do you do with a pot of molten 800 degree metal?

7. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

If youre trying to find it you may want to ask for Zamak 2. They may or may not know it as Kirksite. As Carl La Fong said you're talking about hot liquid metal and Zamak 2/Kirksite has a melting point of a bit over 2600 degrees F.

8. AccurateMike

AccurateMike

Kirksite's melting point is 725º.
    Mike

9. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Kirksite dies: Kirksite dies are used in our rapid prototype, and low volume production area (Typically less than 5000 pieces). Kirksite is an alloy comprised primarily of zinc with aluminum and copper additives. The key advantages of using kirksite to make a die is it’s low melting temperature of 750 degrees. This allow us to make precise casting of the form required, greatly reducing the machining time needed for final design shape. Essentially, the design is carved into a piece of foam with our CNC machinery. The foam is then used to cast the molten metal to shape. The new casting heads back to the CNC department for final dimensioning. After some detailing and tryout the die is ready to make parts.

The above is from this website http://www.ptmcorporation.com/die-basics/
    Based upon the above, one can make several thousand pieces with a kirksite die. Interesting.

Back in college, I worked night shift doing hot dip galvanizing in molten zinc. The dipping tanks filled with zinc were kept at 900 degrees F.

'51 Norm likes this.
  10. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

@AccurateMike I believe you are right about the temperature. Some of the metal dealers that sell Zamak 2/Kirksite for some reason say over 2000. But even at 700-800 degrees F it is still something to be very careful with when pouring.

11. There was a quick segment on the Kindig show where Kris Elmer had used Kirksite to recreate a profile. He had made a dam of sorts and then used a torch to melt some into the dammed off area to copy it and then once the Kirksite cooled, he used that in the pullmax to recreate a piece with the profile needed to repair. I want to say it was an under-hood brace, but can't remember exactly.

Magfiend likes this.