Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Look what followed me home today

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by racer-x, Jan 17, 2021.

1. Excellent execution Brian. As always the devil is in the details. You are doing this Chevy right.;) Love it.:)

loudbang and racer-x like this.
  2. Im learning all kinds of new skills that a mopar guy never needed.
    Four piece oil pan gasket
    Distributor in back.
    Starter shimming.
    valve covers cut to adjust valves.
    Water pump gasket at rear of pump resealing.
    Poly locks and studs. The shafts are so much easier.
    Stud girdles
    Special main studs for a windage tray.
    Welding the pick up tube to the pump.
    Bearing behind the cam sprocket to prevent wear.
    Sealing head studs.
    Oil pump in the pan.

A mopar doesnt need any of the above sillyness. Its still going to be fun. I find it interesting how the other makes go together.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  3. Budget36

Budget36

Hey Brian, I've heard about welding the pickup to the pump, how did you do it?

loudbang likes this.
  4. The milodon pan is deeper than stock. It holds 7 quarts plus the filter. Stock is five. The pickup tube presses into the pump. They are known for falling out. The pickup has a tab that bolts to the under side of the pump. These tabs have been known to break. After it was bolted on a silacan bronze rod was used do to the dissimilar metals cast and steel. That rod works fantastic on headers. They wont ever crack.

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

You forgot about...
    Tripping over Chevy parts just about anywhere. :D

mad mikey, loudbang, squirrel and 2 others like this.
  6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

And an urge to buy Chevy Orange spray paint by the case.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  7. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I painted my dads 273 Plymouth Chevy Orange when I rebuilt it. :)

mad mikey, loudbang and Just Gary like this.
  8. That is no worse then Jake King painting Sox and Martin Hemi's Ford blue.:confused::rolleyes:

9. squirrel

squirrel

heh....I could have built 5 427s for what I have in my 426

It's looking fantastic Brian!

Now you're only missing one little thing....

mill.jpg

chryslerfan55, OFT, mad mikey and 9 others like this.
  10. Deuces

Deuces

.....Some boost!...:cool:

mad mikey, 427 sleeper and loudbang like this.
  11. Its almost done. The intake wont fit. Now im off to the speed shop for a set of thick gaskets. The thin are not working. So close to. 20210917_131813.jpg

12. Budget36

Budget36

Dang that’s pretty!

13. Budget36

Budget36

Were the heads cut too much?

loudbang likes this.
  14. No. Gaskets too thin. Im trying that right now. Fingers crossed.

mad mikey and loudbang like this.
  15. Hey Jim i think your missing something to. 20210917_174053.jpg 20210917_174100.jpg

16. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Chinese Nitro.......what has the world come to!

17. kabinenroller

kabinenroller

18. After the Oklahoma bombing all the nitro producers in the US stopped selling it to racers. Thats why it comes from china. Its too much of a liability for the small amount of sales.

19. 20210917_221947.jpg 20210917_221934.jpg 20210917_221926.jpg I got the intake on now the drivers side valve cover hits the intake. Looks like around a 1/8 needs to come off the underside of the manifold. A shorter cover would work but im not doing that.

20. A little clearance shave, it will be fine. Great looking mill.;) Ready to make some Chevy noise.:)

kidcampbell71, TFoch, Deuces and 4 others like this.
  21. I cc the head. Its 105 ccs. That me means .060 was removed from the deck. It of course raised the compression by a unexeptable full point. The .040 head gaskets will be changed to .095 Cometic mls. The heads will go up and out. The intake will go up. This should fix the compression and solve the intake fit issues.

22. The gap between the intake and heads will get bigger also, so hopefully the thicker intake gaskets you got will still do the job.

mad mikey, kidcampbell71 and loudbang like this.
  23. 427 sleeper

427 sleeper
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Won't that have a bad affect on your quench distance with that thick of head gasket? Or is it not that critical with the compression you're running?

24. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I'm sleeper on this^^^
    These Chevy engine are not like HEMI's

25. Brian said he thinks the block has been decked so thicker gaskets are really just adding the height back to the cylinders, in theory “reversing” the decking process.

mad mikey, racer-x and Deuces like this.
  26. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

If the piston was coming out of the top of the deck I could understand that.
    And I'm not talking about just the dome of the piston.

27. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

There is some pretty amazing fuel made in Peru, that is hard to obtain as well ! Disclaimer, this is just fun with the computer, NOT REAL !

GUANO RACING FUEL.jpg

28. So after a little research, I believe those heads were 119 CC from the factory, his measure 105 CC, so the "deck" he is talking about is on the head, not the block.

29. Budget36

Budget36

I agree, the pic shown of the rotating assembly in the block shows the old gasket lines as well as the numbers on the pad.

30. Most of you understand whats going on.
    The block has never been decked. It has been checked. Easily measured from the crank centerline to the deck.
    The heads were cc d. Yes the correct cc is 118-119. Mine came in at 105. The only way you get 105 is to remove .060 off the surface of the head. Putting a .093 thick gasket increases the cc volume. A good gasket will state how many ccs the gasket has printed on the package.
    The stock gasket is .040 thick. Everything's is based off this. Putting the .093 in will return things back to stock dimentions. The manifold and pushrods will fit again. Mls and copper gaskets .100 thick are used all the time in race cars. I run .090s on the nitro hemi.
    It will also drop the compression. The compression was figured off the pistons and combustion volume. If one changes it effects the compression. It has to.
    Moving the head up with the thicker head gasket will allow me to use a stock intake gasket.