Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs 1949 Frazer custom... here we go!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kojack, Jul 12, 2021.

1. Door stretch looks good on proportions. I agree that shortening the roof a bit, and especially taper it down from the B-pillar and rearward. Reduce that huge bump in the rear roof. I know you are planning a carson type top, just make sure the side profile flows nicely. Maybe lean the rear window forward a bit as well, it will help the height and help that tapered flow. Shorter roof and extend the catwalk which is a lot easier than extending the trunk lid and opening.

2. Here's a rough idea of how it might look chopped....

Chop.jpg

alanp561, hfh, anthony myrick and 9 others like this.
  3. patsurf

patsurf

that certainly moves it toward chrys corp. styling!...

4. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Looking forward to seeing it in person, I live a bit west of ya

5. BJR

BJR

You picked a very hard car to make look good. It has no lines and no look. All you have to do is change everything. :eek:

6. jerry rigged

jerry rigged

You, sir, apparently don't drink enough. Remember, "beauty is in the eye of the beer holder":p

7. Thanks for the comments guys! It's a unique build for sure, but I think something pretty rad will come out of this. Thanks for the photoCHOP as well... there are a few I had at the start of the thread I'll repost, but thank you for that 3/4 View @themoose... that really helps since I've only done it from the side!

Photo Jun 05, 10 10 52 AM.jpg Photo Jun 05, 10 10 56 AM.jpg

8. do the quarterwindow version, chopped and dropped like Rik's design and it'll look good.

Hnstray, kidcampbell71 and Kojack like this.
  9. Gotta be honest, I really like the carson-topped version- Dad had a 51 Kaiser for his daily driver for a few years (I got to drive it from Ohio to Philly from him when he bought it), so I have a healthy appreciation for Kaiser/Frazer!

chryslerfan55 and Kojack like this.
  10. Photo Sep 27, 7 35 02 PM.jpg Photo Sep 27, 7 36 32 PM.jpg Photo Sep 27, 7 36 46 PM.jpg Chipping away! I'll be honest, I got ahead of myself like a lot of us do. I'm over thinking the chop when the truth is, wiring and a freakin' motor might be a good idea first. So I'm dialing back on messing with the chop for now, finishing up the two door conversion.

I mocked up the post option today. I don't hate it. I think on the passenger side I'm going to try and see how a hardtop look would look with a wing window from a Ford hardtop, and see how I like it.

SUCH a better looking car with less doors!

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Nah. Not seeing that. Looks more like a ‘49/‘50 Lincoln……except the Kaiser/Frazer preceded the Lincoln…soooo, who copied who…:D

Ray

12. Squablow

Squablow

Looks good with the pillars mocked up, looks high-end. The pillars make the rest of the roof look less bulky, without them the turret of the roof seems really pronounced. I like where you're at.

Hnstray and chryslerfan55 like this.
  13. nix

nix
    from Italy

Great project, I see I'm not the only one who thought about this. It's a job that I too have already done, a lot of work! I have been working on it for many years, above all because I have replaced engine, axle, modified the frame, etc. Now I have started the anti-rust painting and the reassembly... 2020.07.jpg

14. Squablow

Squablow

I like where it is now, but just for fun, since there's a nice side-on shot to work with, here's a couple quick and dirty photoshops. First one is a chop technically, I took nothing out of the windshield height but I brought the back down probably 3 inches to take some of the high crown out of the roof.

frazer.jpg
    And here's the same picture, but with the rear window brought further forward to take some mass out of the C pillar

frazer2.jpg

I could see this car getting finished with just the 2 door conversion, these are just food-for-thought.

15. UPDATE: I've been getting down on this thing. It's nice to feel a passion for a project again, and I'm super excited about it. I've been thankfully getting most of the things I need at a good deal or trade, so that's helping make this a low buck kustom.

Since i posted last month, I went through the annoying work of fitting a small block and automatic in this guy, which I'm sure @nix dealt with as well. I didn't do the crazy work as he did with the frame, but I had to built towers in the front and make my own mounts, and notch the firewall upwards two inches for the Dizzy. I can't believe how close it fits but it does.

Photo Oct 29, 10 03 28 PM.jpg Photo Oct 29, 10 21 34 PM.jpg

The stock dash I think is gorgeous, and I went with the '49 Frazer for that reason along with how the dash rides into the door tops as well. It's gonna look really nice.
    Photo Oct 29, 10 04 36 PM.jpg

Now that I have a motor in it, wiring and brakes are next as MUCH as I want to start looking at the top soon. Not a very useful car if I can't drive it first! But I couldn't help myself, and had to start seeing some visuals I was thinking about. I propped up the '47 Frazer ribbed bumpers, notched the guards for the tail lights, and finished shaving the back of the car. It's a LONG way to go... but it's nice after months of doing all the mechanicals and wiring that I get some visual rewards.

Photo Nov 02, 3 18 37 AM.jpg Photo Nov 02, 3 18 25 AM.jpg Photo Nov 02, 12 59 16 AM.jpg

16. Squablow

Squablow

I love it, love everything about it.

kidcampbell71, Kojack and Hnstray like this.
  17. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Smooooooth

Hnstray likes this.
  18. nix

nix
    from Italy

Good job! I follow with pleasure and I am curious to see it finished.
    Unfortunately for many reasons I was not able to work as fast as you do but I want to finish, now I am in reassembly.
    I'm not always at home where I have internet so sometimes I have problems connecting but as soon I will try to send you some photos and information about my work. I put a big block, changed the rear axle, modified chassis and more...

19. Update! So, I gotta say this is my first car that I’ve started from a body to a running car. I’ve had lots of cars, but it’s always been a little fixing up here and there and customizing. This has been really rewarding.

B030BA41-580D-4633-9BD5-05E1B88FB129.jpeg

The front sheet metal is finally on, and the second door is done! I still have some welding to do, but it’s functioning two door now. My buddy came over and we got the motor all bolted down and plumbed. So she fired up the other night just with exhaust manifolds, so that was a huge thing!

604374FA-A54B-478D-A68D-BB20E21EA09A.jpeg 463090CD-AE34-4AE4-90D6-30164589B491.jpeg D00AAA67-70F7-4795-AA29-E8E71F767266.jpeg D309E6F6-ABB3-4CFF-928E-9ADDC24FCCB1.jpeg

rod1, anthony myrick, Hnstray and 7 others like this.
  20. hotdamn

hotdamn

ive been following along on IG, stoked to see youve done a build thread on it!! cant wait to see the carson top happen, I think itll look killer whether you do the 3w or the 5 :)

also the car looks great so far!!!!

Kojack and kidcampbell71 like this.
  21. Hope you guys are all working on your projects for the summer! I've been HAMMERING down on this car and man... it's wild to see something come together, especially after sharing it all with you guys on here.

Last night I was able to take this photo of the car for the first time actually NEARLY together. It's wild to see it actually look like something other then a pile of parts.

Photo Feb 13, 6 51 42 PM.jpg

I got the thing running for the first time, and it made it's way around the lot a few times. I can't tell you how cool it felt to see all this hard work turn into something I could drive. Now, she's not even close to being street legal but just knowing I could *drive* it...

Photo Feb 10, 3 15 31 PM.jpg

As I said before, I don't get why folks have never used these bumper! These are 47-48 Frazer, and I liked them a whole hell of a lot better then the '49-51's. They are three piece, solid as hell, and I dig the ribs on them. I got them off a parts car, and while I had to slice up the front splash pan to make them fit, it wasn't a lot of work. I like them so much more then the stock ones.

Seeing them though, they look a little busy with that front grill. I think I'll end up possibly shaving the front guards and welding the bumper into one piece.

Photo Feb 02, 7 54 38 PM.jpg

Got my tail lights working! I sliced them like I said before, and made a mold of the parts I cut off. I then used clear resin with a tint to make the lenses, then mounted them with glue... literally how Sam Barris says to do it in '51. I think I'll make some clips soon so it's a little better. :)

Photo Jan 19, 11 57 46 PM.jpg

Photo Jan 19, 11 56 40 PM.jpg Photo Jan 18, 1 17 06 PM.jpg Photo Jan 10, 10 19 48 PM.jpg Photo Dec 29, 2 11 03 PM (1).jpg

All in all, i'm really happy how it's coming along and I can't wait to get the car all legal and road worthy. Once all those bugs are worked out, I can get onto the chop and more of the heavier customzing I really wanted to do.

22. Squablow

Squablow

I like it! The 2 door proportions look spot-on and I like the custom touches like the bumpers and tail lights and whatnot. I think you're approaching it the right way too, getting it mechanically functional and getting the 2 door sedan conversion fleshed out before trying to mess with the roof height.

This is going to be a really neat finished car. I don't think I ever saw a finished custom one, but I do think this car looks exactly like it could have if it was built in the early 50's.

Kojack, Stan Back and UNSHINED 2 like this.
  23. UNSHINED 2

UNSHINED 2

This is a really cool build.

@Squablow 's comment is dead on to what I was thinking.

Squablow likes this.
  24. That' the best compliment! And that's the look I want for this car. A very classy, clean kustom before the more wild years. And with styling that matches more of what the designer intended and not what the manufacture ended up doing...

25. Nice job!! This is going to be a truly unique ride when you're finished. It's subtle enough now to draw people in, to try to figure out what it is.
    Looking at the (almost) sideview, I think the body-to-top height proportions look just right. The main body is thick (insert chick joke here) so I don't think too much chop would look right (JMHO). You might post a full side shot for the photo wizards that do such a good job of providing inspiration before metal-whacking, so they can massage your ideas for you.
    "It's not your father's Frazer anymore"

Hnstray likes this.
  26. Very nice workmanship. Not likely that there will be two of those at the cruise-in.

27. cfmvw

cfmvw

I really like the taillight treatment, never would have thought of that! I actually like the proportions of it as is, not sure if a chop would look right, but that's just me.

'28phonebooth likes this.
  28. Also, for those of you into more video then just photos... I'm actually doing a video series with Rod and Style Television. I've got my first episode out, and the second drops tomorrow!

29. And I'm moving forward with Rod and Style with this! Take a look and tell me what you guys think!

30. Hey folks! Still chipping away at this guy and I’m super excited about it. Here’s another episode for you all…. I’ve backtracked a little in video on what I’ve been up to.

This one goes on about the custom bumper lights!

41 GMC K-18 likes this.