Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Will a 241 red ram hemi fit in a 33 coupe with hood sides?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dave Huelke, Jul 11, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Dave Huelke

Dave Huelke

I bought a 50 year old barn find (really) and I have a 53 merc with a T5 setup. I also have a red ram 241 hemi that I would like to put into this coupe..

I REALLY WANT TO RUN THE ORIGINAL HOOD SIDES. Will the 241 fit? will I need to do anything to the fire wall to fit it?

Any help suggestions taken.

2. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

Move it back 10 inches -- it'll fit.

(Or just measure it. Or just trial fit it.)

Jibs and stillrunners like this.
  3. cornfield county

cornfield county
    from Indiana

I think you could keep your hood sides, or keep your firewall, but not both.

stillrunners likes this.
  4. gene-koning

gene-koning

You can keep your hood sides but you will probably have to put "power bulges" on each hood side to clear the front corners of the heads. I believe I've read someplace that the Hemi heads are a couple inches wider then the hood with the hemi mounted where it needed to be.
    A tape measure would be your friend. Measure the length of the Hemi, from the back of the farthest back head (or the distributor) to the farthest forward head, then add 2" for clearance at the back. Then measure the widest point at the front and rear of the heads (include exhaust manifolds or headers). Cut a piece of cardboard to those measurements open the hood, and set the cardboard on top of the existing motor (or about 10" above the frame) and see how the Hemi is going to fit, and how the hood is going to fit.
    Then take pictures and show us what it looks like (because we all want to know too). Gene

5. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

I put one in a 32 roadster. No hood sides mods. No firewall mods.
    It was for SCCA "C" class racing. It went fast. It was extremely noisy with 4 inch collecter cans.

RICH B, stillrunners and vtx1800 like this.
  6. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Are we all presuming that the car is a '32 Ford?

Ebbsspeed likes this.
  7. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

He said 33 COUPE.
    I said 32 ROADSTER;
    They are similar is all. Dunhh.

HemiDeuce likes this.
  8. Blake 27

Blake 27

My friend's 29 RPU with a Red Ram and full hood. DSC058492.JPG

9. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes it'll fit easily. The engine bay originally accommodated a large V-12 quite handily. Or are you not talking about a 1933 Cadillac Coupe?

Similar, eh?

So far neither you, nor the O/P, have mentioned a manufacturer. Or is the default assumption always Ford?

Cadillac Coupe.jpg Dodge Roadster.jpg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2021
    LOU WELLS and Fortunateson like this.
  10. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

1- Yea, as far as putting a 241 Dodge in.
    2- Unless otherwise specified.

11. Of course it is. This is a hot rod site.

12. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Well excuuuuse me! Seriously, I only glanced at the title but read the OP's statement where the car wasn't mentioned at all... year or make. Ebbsspeed did a great job illustrating the point!
    I usually restate my question in my post even if it's in the thread title and I wish others did the same.

Ebbsspeed likes this.
  13. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Yes The 241 Dodge Will Fit In Your 1933 "Ford" But The 315/325 Will Require Hood Bulges Due To The Taller Block....Proceed..

14. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Yes but your going to have to move the motor back a bit and recess the firewall . The grill on the 33 is slanted back pretty good and taper in. It’s a tight fit for a SBC running a mechanical fan with out some mods to the firewall .
    I have a 241 in a 32 cabriolet and it’s a awesome motor . 1D9369DD-5D1A-4067-BDAE-89CBD7FA9E71.jpeg

15. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

DSCN1843.JPG if tight try grafting a '35-'36 truck firewall, they have about 4" more engine bay...
    '37-'39 truck firewalls are about the same but have a built in battery box...

stillrunners likes this.
  16. Dave Huelke

Dave Huelke

Sorry to make myself not perfectly clear.

THIS IS A 1933 FORD 5 WINDOW Coupe. Thanks for the inputs

How much recess will the fire wall have to be ? I would like to still have foot room and also not have to fabracate a fire wall tunnel.

Just another side question will the 241 be such a drastic improvement over a 53 MERC flatty that I would be stupid to not use that?
    I'm Cruising it not dragging racing it. Want a clean 33 that is dependable not taking it on a cross country trip.

17. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

The firewall will need to be move back a few inches only and so your floor or foot room should be fine with some modifications. (Tunnel)
    As far as performance its a bit better then the flathead in stock conditions . The look is way better on the redram and sounds great as I have straight pipes with some chicken wire in the exhaust pipes. Mine will sit in traffic with no over heating and purrs like a kitten . I have a turbo 350 with a shift kit and 9 inch rear and drive the heck out of it.. In over 25 years no issues besides a distributor module has gone bad. The motor is tired now and will need a rebuild and parts and getting harder to find. That not the case with the flathead as it seems to be getting lots of folks interested and new suppliers and parts.
    I dont know of a lot of red ram 241 270 suppliers besides Hot heads and my local hemi guys Glenn and Harold.. I would love to hear of other suppliers..
    Is the original motor in the 33 coupe now? Or the 53 merc? Pictures please. I am working on a 33 pheaton and have a hard time fitting anything into it beside the original motor with out modifications or electric fan. It gets tight in the front even with the merc motor . I tried to use truck water pumps with truck crank pulley wide belt. Then a 37 generator but fan hits the radiator hoses. So either of your choices will need some messaging..

18. 73RR

73RR

That 'little' 241 can be quite surprising with the correct pile-o-parts. I'd suggest 10:1 c/r, a warm cam and electronic ignition as a starting point. FWIW, the LA distributor is a drop-in. I sell AutoTec forgings if you have a desire and offer cam grinding mods.

19. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

@73RR do you have cams that are ground already and who do you recommend for parts..thanks

20. 73RR

73RR

I still have a couple of cores on the shelf but nothing 'ready to go' as it seems that everybody wants something a little different.
    Most all parts are readily available. As mentioned, I sell forged pistons for the 241 as well as all of the EarlyHemi and Poly engines. [email protected]

stillrunners likes this.
  21. silent rick

silent rick

@73RR what kind of wait is there on ordering pistons?

do you require a core with a cam purchase?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    continentaljohn likes this.
  22. 73RR

73RR

Current lead time on custom forgings is about 12 weeks.....:(

No core required for any cam that I have on hand. All part of the inventory clearance project.

stillrunners likes this.
  23. continentaljohn likes this.
  24. sunbeam

sunbeam

A low deck dodge will require about 28" between the hood sides for 1/2 " clearence on both sides. Not much more then a SBC when you figure the exhaust will not add to the width of the dodge.

Hnstray and continentaljohn like this.
  25. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

Kirk.jpg
    Yep...and this one even has a lil channel to it. Kirk Hanning built this a few years back.

26. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

@sunbeam I can’t fit a sbc into a 33-34 let along a 241 dodge in a coupe without cutting into the firewall. I know some say just cut the firewall and be done with it. Well that’s not that easy as it moves everything else back bell and trans and mounting trans and torque tube.
    I would love to see examples as I have tried a few different times...

27. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

@flatheadpete sweet hotrod and would love to see the engine compartment..

28. Guy Patterson

Guy Patterson

Hell just go with a 36 coupe then you have lots of room. Thats what I'm doing

29. dumprat

dumprat
    from b.c.

IMG_0500.jpg I have a 34 truck with a Desoto hemi in it. The car truck rad and frame are the same. The Desoto is larger than the dodge and the motor is narrower than the frame by a couple of inches. I had to trim about an inch off the firewall to clear the passenger side head.

The dodge motor should fit without much effort.