Register now to get rid of these ads!

What was your first old car?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fyrffytr1, Feb 4, 2021.

1. I guess it depends on one's definition of old car. In 1972, a 10 year old car was considered old. I bought this 10 year old car for $750 back then and still have it.
    driveway top off.jpg

2. Flat Roy

Flat Roy

50 Buick.jpg
    My first cruiser. I loved it, the girls loved it to.

3. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

A $600.00 deceased estate 1-owner 1948 GM (Ozzie) FX Holden as a 17yr old in 1976. 48-215 was official GMH designation
    upload_2020-1-28_9-41-57.png

lothiandon1940 and Oilguy like this.
  4. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

First car (at age 13 in 1955) was a '33 Plymouth roadster body ($20) that I sat on a '30 Model A frame, freshly painted, from buddy Mike Donahue, $3!
    My pal Noel wanted it bad, so I sold it to buy Billy Souza's '36 Ford Three window coupe. First thing I did was start chopping the top, with Dad's hacksaw and a few hacksaw blades. 4-1/2" was starting point...but after some 're-cuts', and better fitment, I ended up with 5-1/4" in front, and 6" in back! Looked great, back window was like a mail slot.
    When I did the doors, it was obvious that the chop was 'excessive'.
    My Mom asked why I 'took so much out'...I said, "So folks could tell it's chopped!"
    She said the top looked like the turret on a tank.
    Welds were nice, an older club mate taught me to gas weld when I was 12...I welded for all my buds.
    Another friend wanted the '36 badly, so when my pal Jim Rose found the '30 'A' Cabriolet body in a field, I got it for $3. Sold my '36, bought '32 rails, '32 rear end, and a Mor Drop axle from American Auto, for $10.95!
    Cabriolet got channeled 6", suicide front, and a '38 tube axle. Flathead I built, 5/16 X 1/4. Fast car, got my license suspended a month after I got it! 17 tickets, (no fenders, exhibition of speed, drag racing on city streets, too low (?)
    Judge deduced I was a 'menace', Man, 90 days no license! Slowed me down when I got it back.
    Was driving my 'new' '34 Five window to school by then...
    Most of that happened thru my 13th year to age 14. Was driving the Cabriolet at age 16. For awhile...(grin)

RJP, Papas32 and bowie like this.
  5. 34Larry

34Larry

[​IMG]
    Not in this condition. Traded my trumpet and a weeks forced labor for it. It had over 62,000
    miles on it. This was in 1956. 1947 Kaiser.

kidcampbell71 and cfmvw like this.
  6. George

George

. 1st "old car" was a '48 Plym with an Olds 455 in it.

7. My first car was a 1957 Ford wagon that my parents bought in 1959, old car now but not that old then. My first "old car" that I bought years later was a 1936 Ford pickup, 95% stock right down to the mechanical brakes. I owned it a couple years but found out people from then must have been much smaller than I am. I could do about 50 miles and I was wanting to get out and stretch my legs.

8. KevKo

KevKo
    from Motown

First some background. My Dad's first car was a '49 Merc convertible. This would have been in 1953 or 54. It was black, red leather, white top. Dad had it nosed and decked, lowering blocks, and put a small back window in the top. He dated my Mom in that car. Fast forward about 10 years, married, son, job, etc., he buys a '49 Merc 4-door to tinker with. Fast forward another 10 years or so, my folks are getting divorced and Dad gives me the Merc. So my senior year in High School I drove a '49 Merc 4-door. Oldest car in the student lot by far.

9. MCjim

MCjim
    from soCal

10. Sounds extremely familiar.. "Going to build a few trucks when I retire so I'm collecting all I can find now". East Tennessee also. If you live in Fall Branch I know the line of trucks you speak of.

11. First HAMB friendly car was 7 years after my first car of the Muscle era (but NOT muscly :)) was my first '60 Elco. That was repaired to run better and even stop, but the body was far from good, it then was totaled on the freeway. The next '60 I found was in dire need of a drivetrain....mated the two and still have it today.

12. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

'64 bought my first car : '47 Crosley wgn.(titled as a '48) for $35 & drove it home(about 10mi) : learned how to drive a "crash-box"(no syncros), how to rebuild a motor, how to rebuild a carb, how to paint with a brush(VERY badly),how to fix almost any part(sometimes multiple times : I didn't always get it right the first time : sometimes not even the 5th or 6th... LOL). Like so many of us with our first vehicles, it's a testimony to how well they were built originally, that any of them survived, let alone kept running, for the several years they were in our possession before we "moved on" to other vehicles that better fit our changing lifestyles....

13. '52 Victoria, flathead with shorty lakes. Dechromed with Black Diamond filler, tougher than Kryptonite to sand.
    Ford truck Caribbean Turquoise alkyd enamel. Used tires with Porta walls. It had a flathead v8 that scarred me for
    life. I walked more than I drove. loved that car.

52 back.jpg 52 side.jpg

14. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My first old car was a 29 Chevy 4 door that I bought at an auction in about 72?? The wood was rotted out and someone had stolen the radiator cap by the time I had picked it up (an ugly story at best). It was rotted far beyond any skills that I had at the time or gained in later years:) I sold it. Later bought a 57 Chevy 2 door hardtop for $165 and traded it for a basket case 38 Chevy coupe that I still have. The 57 need the brakes fixed....and was far more valuable that the 38, Bruce Wolfe in Des Moines IA, if you are reading this you got a good deal when you traded cars with me:) The picture was in about 1975 after I had assembled the Ikea rusty parts kit. The rear wheels are still on the car, I kept that one. Chad 38_0002.jpg

15. My first car was a 32 Ford , 3w coupe. Sounds good right, not really. My Uncle ran a salvage yard in 1962. He was hired by a body shop owner to move 6 0r 7 cars off the road in front of the body shop, as the state had ordered them moved. He knew I wanted a 33 or 34 Ford coupe. He called to say that one of the cars had been left at the shop with an unpaid bill by the owner. He said it wasn't exactly what I wanted but the price was right. ($25) As it turned out I had seen the car from riding the school bus by it. It was a channeled 32 Ford 3w. 40 front axel , 36 rear. Just the body and frame, and it was perfect, no rust, no dents. Top was filled with a pc. of metal and screwed in place. I got to keep it almost 6 months. I was setting in it, day dreaming when a fellow pulled up in a 62 Gran Prix. He looked it over and asked me if I had a title for it and I didn't. Called my Uncle and he didn't either. The guy in the Gran Prix said that he was lawyer and he DID have a title for it. I never saw the title (I was 15). He brought a deputy sheriff and claim and delivery papers the next day and that was that. Well my Uncle and my Dad knew of another car for $75 which was a 40 Ford 2 dr. Deluxe with a pretty decent body and a black and white rolled and pleated interior. There was no engine, but was a roller. I swapped my Uncle a 292 "y" block for a 42 Merc. engine that he said didn't smoke. As it turned out he wasn't totally honest about that but it ran. I scrounged up a 39 trans.( had to have a floor shift ) and drove that until I could get a 56, 265 Chev. engine. Cleaned out a large chicken house for that. Drove the 40 to high school, sold it and bought a 58 2d. Chev. and headed out for L.A..