Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Excelsior Tires

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Sep 16, 2021.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

Excelsior Stahl radials sure must be popular. Ordered a set (500-16s & 700-18s) a month ago for a new deuce roadster I'm starting and was notified yesterday that it could be up to 5 months before they are shipped. I tried several suppliers and they were all on back order. Not bad mouthing Coker as I'm sure they are doing their best. I've spent most of this year waiting on parts for my various customer chassis. Things sure have changed in this country in the last couple years.

-Brent-, Tman and loudbang like this.
  2. wheeltramp brian

wheeltramp brian

Very true. My good friend has a set of them on his 32 and someone slashed the front tire. I searched high and low and called every place in the United States I could find that had the tires advertised and finally found ONE in the size that I needed.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  3. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Wow, that's crazy. I wonder what exactly is holding things up?

4. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

same story all over - on News showed a lot of cargo container ships sitting outside Harbors waiting to be unloaded - - part of backlog is lack of workers to unload, and truck drivers to distribute - finished products, and raw material for manufacturing just sitting

stillrunners and 41 GMC K-18 like this.

5. Raw goods shortages, Delayed production, lack of shipping, lack of trucking and rail in the US, lack of employees to man the businesses here......

It is going to get a LOT worse until it gets better

Hollywood-East and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  6. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The entire world wide supply chain is backed up, a lot of it is due to the pandemic, all facets of industry are greatly affected, pretty amazing that in today's world, supply can't keep up with demand!

7. -Brent-

-Brent-

I read about this. In 2018/19 people who oversee the rubber industry were warning, based on whatever indicators, that there would be a rubber shortage in 2020.

Then, obviously, 2020 happened and I'm sure that impacted things further... because all things were impacted.

Malcolm and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  8. bigdog

bigdog
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Checked on some tires last week. Estimated delivery date Jan/Feb. With an all caps"WARNING DELIVERY MAY BE DELAYED FROM THIS DATE!"

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excelsior are allegedly made in the US meaning that with either the plant being shut down entirely for most of the last year and a half or with a limited work force they are probably to hell and gone behind with orders.
    Then throw in shortages of what ever you use to make anything of that you didn't grow in your own back yard in the past year.

The yellow arrows are cargo ships and the orange arrows are oil tankers.
    upload_2021-9-17_9-4-30.png

Each yellow dot sitting out in the bay by Long Beach CA is a freight ship waiting to unload. 65 ships waiting to unload yesterday per a news article.
    upload_2021-9-17_9-9-3.png

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  10. A Boner

A Boner

Giving people more money than they can earn going to work, has consequences, I guess!

11. I had them on the 4 door and they look great and ride the same way. HRP

12. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are on the boat.

13. A Boner

A Boner

Seems like tires used to last a long time...now they last 6 years. Might be having a tough time keeping up!

14. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Called Jeg's today to get an update on my Excelsior tires and the shipping date has now been moved to the middle of April. I ordered and paid for them the middle of August. Supply and Demand?

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  15. Gary, I have a friend who ordered Edelbrock aluminum heads for his sbc back in the Fall and they recently gave him an updated delivery date of Spring.....maybe! I've heard some horror stories on deliveries on flathead stuff from Offenhauser also.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  16. dirt car

dirt car
    from nebraska

Even if rubber goods are manufactured state side, it is common knowledge that the rubber plantations are elsewhere, not certain if Firestone still has facilities in So. Africa I believe it was. Not a pleasant subject but the war mongers were taking over that particular venue at one point.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

About Offenhauser, I had forty 5272 bellhousings ordered since the first of the year with nothing but promises and 2 price increases since the order was placed. When the dealer cost went to 270.00 in Jan to 440.00 in Sept. I canceled and went elsewhere. Unfortunately there's no other source for the tires.