Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1939 Kustom Merc Utah

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Mohaw, Nov 4, 2020.

1. fortynut

fortynut

So what? I write my opinions based on the subtext of what is not said, or expressed, in order that an opposing view to the general trend is expressed. To make it appear I don't understand what's going on is fine, if it makes you happy then lay it out there. Because, as far as I know, freedom of expression is one of those rights that the founders found necessary to delineate. Often people say things based on what they think the common herd wants them to say, and to hear someone tell the world, so to speak, that other opinions exist may work its way into the subconscious and limber up whatever inhibitions that may have held back their own freedom of expression. Fat Jack Robinson once said, "There's nothing we can't fuck up." I took that to mean exactly what I've been saying. So count me in when it comes to stirring the pot, into changing the rules, to include the possibility of failure as well as success in any car building.

chryslerfan55 and spinner like this.
  2. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Did you get straight AA in English so you could addlib 3 pages on a fence post

SS327 and Peanut 1959 like this.
  3. fortynut

fortynut

As a matter of fact I did. And, as to fence posts, I have put my share of them in the ground while reciting epithets not usually found in the cowboy lingo. And, I have also thrown my share of wrenches, that according to my brother were the exact ones we needed to finish our thrash. But, it's not the language that amounts to anything; it's always the ideas expressed. I am for, and have always been for. the underdog, the coward who would be a hero if he could only find out how to get over his 'nerves', for the whore who fell into a life style due to circumstances beyond her control, and for cars that other folks think of as dogs. I like these things because in my childhood I was told not to take things apart and got beaten with fan belts and coat hangers for doing so; and even then, I went ahead and did what I wanted to do. I know there are a lot of inhibited people in the world, and a few who are goaded into acting like fools because they don't have the mental tools to figure things out on their own. I am a spokesman for pushing the envelope, for trying out new things, and for kicking out the traces and thinking outside the box. I know it may irritate some, and if I can get through to that one person who needs encouragement, I have done my job.

chryslerfan55 and Stogy like this.
  4. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

Well written

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  5. CadMad

CadMad

We should acknowledge the past and respect it. But metal is metal and in the “now” you can only improve upon the successes and failures of the past.
    An artist has the ability to see what others can’t and put it into fruition.
    The builds “we try”and emulate are grounded in basic rules ( and no rules) and timelines that need to be studied and understood.
    Can’t wait to see this one improve.

41 GMC K-18, Stogy, hfh and 3 others like this.
  6. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

Kinda like popcorn a lotta puff but not much there .Oh and Love the Merc.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2020
  7. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

What the hell is happening to this thread???

8. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

i think you already know .went from a unique awesome save to blah,blah,blah. Mohaw, keep the pics and progress coming!!!

9. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Pushing the envelope would be trying to finish what has been started. Not by making it look like everybody else`s 2020 custom Merc build style.

10. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

11. Mohaw, Here's one I did in the 80's put a chopped stock or Duval style "V" windshield on yours, stock 40 Ford headlights and you'll have a good looking Merc. This one is chopped, channeled, and sectioned hood , now owned by Gordy.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
  12. Bigmac48

Bigmac48
    from Dundalk Md

like em both 51 and 80s

loudbang and arkiehotrods like this.
  13. Mohaw

Mohaw

I dig it

loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  14. Mohaw

Mohaw

Its winter here in Utah so ive been looking for parts, trying to narrow down the right seats, looking at some third buckets. Been playing with dashes, looking at shoeboxes or stock mercs. Just got rid of my other project a 59 edsel corsair coupe, got it running, and moved to a new home.

VANDENPLAS, Stogy, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  15. Mohaw

Mohaw

Here are some pics ive been looking at that have the same feel. The original owner was a musician, His wife told me a story about when he was touring in CA one morning and was out jogging, he found a car that was like the one he was building and took a pic in it. I asked her if I could copy the pic, she is currently looking for it.

Coachcraft19861a-vi.jpg images (1).jpeg unnamed.jpg 39_Mercury_Rdstr_Planette_DV-07_AI_01.jpg

16. Gregm1

Gregm1

YES !

Stogy, stanlow69, loudbang and 2 others like this.
  17. gsnort

gsnort
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Keep the dream as long as the car is yours.

Stogy, loudbang and Peanut 1959 like this.
  18. Peanut 1959

Peanut 1959

I'm glad you're making plans to give this ol' girl some love. It's a unique piece of custom car history, for sure.

The cross section of those buckets looks pretty thin. Could they be from an old European import?

Stogy, loudbang and chryslerfan55 like this.
  19. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

was it ever finished and driven?

Stogy likes this.
  20. Mohaw

Mohaw

kidcampbell71 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  21. 28rpu

28rpu

That was an interesting read. Let's you understand where his mind was on the car. Thanks for posting.

stanlow69 and chryslerfan55 like this.
  22. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

After reading that article ----- If by any chance you don`t follow his dream, sell the car to someone who will. I know of a convertible to trade you if that is your vision. With the possibility of a 4-dr and a 2-dr sedan.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  23. Mohaw

Mohaw

weather is starting to get better in utah, I've found a pair of seats from a austin healey sprite, I think they will look great, also playing with the idea of dashboards, i like the feel of the current 1950s kid now money piece together what you have, but i also am thinking of going back to original. Goal this summer to get it running/Stopping/new tires and then sand blast the body

Attached Files:

24. Mohaw

Mohaw

So i picked up a pair of old thunderbird seats, thinking they would work, they are to tall wont fit under the steering weel, trying to find some mustang seats.

stanlow69 likes this.
  25. Dangerousdan

Dangerousdan
    from Arizona

All kinds of possibility's

26. -Brent-

-Brent-

I have a set. Those Healy seats are interesting, maybe we could trade? I would have to check the fit and feel. I am on the east side of the Valley.

At the very least, you could test with my seats.

27. spinner

spinner

i would love to this completed on hamb lots of cars started with less

28. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

First time visiting this thread and glad I did. This thing has cool written all over it and I am glad car is not going to waste.

29. Gahrajmahal

Gahrajmahal

This car is going to require a lot of stamina to complete. Hope you get to enjoy driving it during all phases of the process. (Patina, primer, finished paint). I recently installed a GPS speedometer, adjustable fuel gauge and manual volts, oil pressure, water temp in our off topic MG. It was a little costly, but is nice to have working gauges after messing with original gauges for several years.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  30. 1-SHOT

1-SHOT
    from Denton

That’s because you were use in Lucas Gauges. The Godess of Darkness units