Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1936 dodge business coupe builds

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Jasper234, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Jasper234

Jasper234

Howdy.

move just bought myself a 36 dodge business coupe. Nice, straight, rough round the edges but no rot anywhere. A good strong motor I want to keep (straight six - a change from v8s)

I’m looking for reference photos or links to build threads that anyone can share . I’m looking to either lower it or ideally put it on air ride, but have never done this type of car before (32 ford, 28 ford etc, but nothing else) - so if anyone has threads to any similar build that shows the process, that would be great. 2-3” roof chop. Rear fender skirts.

plan is to drive it until it’s time to change it - I don’t want a garage full of a broken down dodge next to the broken down model a!!

always grateful for anything you can share or show me

thanks

41 GMC K-18, j hansen and Stogy like this.
  2. gene-koning

gene-koning

Your car has a beam front axle with front and rear parallel leaf spring suspension, putting it on air bags is going to be a major undertaking. A top chop on those mid 30s Dodge coupe bodies are tricky to pull off and still look right, another major undertaking.

Add a 2" lowering blocks between the rear axle and the springs (a weekend project if the parts are in hand), add your fender skirts (could be a slight challenge), give it a good coat of primer (or body work and paint), and drive it as is until you get the Model A done. After you can drive the Model A, then get after the Dodge if need be. Gene

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  3. earlymopar

earlymopar

Don't chop it. That will really screw up the proportions that the factory designers absolutely nailed. Gene is correct with regard to air bags. You're much better off to send your "dropped" front axle to someone and have it dropped further (3" is a common drop modification provided by most of the axle shops that do that type of work). I see you're in the UK so I have no sense for how difficult it might be to find someone there.

On the rear axle, what Gene mentioned is a quick, simple and cost-effective way to achieve a drop. Welding spring perches on the opposite side of the rear end will get you even lower if needed. However, I would drop the front first and then match the rear end to the front.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  4. Jasper234

Jasper234

Thanks for the advice on the chop. I’ve sat and looked at the car and on balance I agree. Won’t be chopping it….

I’ll take a long look at the front end. It doesn’t need too much. The back is way up in the air for my liking, but I can see lots of shops selling lowering block kits I’ve found a guy who has some skirts that just need a little work. The car is rot free other than a couple of small areas where the front fenders meet the cowl. Easy fixes. I need all new rubber for doors and windows, fender to body etc also new window brushes. I need to change all suspension bushes to tighten it up a bit on the front as well. Not so easy here in the uk, so grateful for any referrals to a good supplier in the states.

Still interested in any build threads for these dodges - always good to see them stripped and put back together so I can see the issues you guys come across.
    Thanks for your help as ever!!

41 GMC K-18 likes this.

5. j hansen

j hansen

A few suppliers,,,,,,, Skärmavbild 2021-09-17 kl. 11.39.19.png Skärmavbild 2021-09-17 kl. 11.40.29.png Skärmavbild 2021-09-17 kl. 11.41.28.png Skärmavbild 2021-09-17 kl. 11.44.33.png

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  6. Jibs

Jibs

7. A good list of suppliers. Add Restoration Specialties in Pennsylvania.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.