Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical TH350 trans use.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hardtimesainit, Sep 12, 2021.

1. SS327

SS327

That’s the 4speed od version which is a great transmission. The 3 speeds sucked.

2. goldmountain

goldmountain

It was in Petersen's Complete Ford Book, 4th edition from 1976. Scan-190910-0002.jpg

ekimneirbo, Hnstray and 51 mercules like this.
  3. 51 mercules

51 mercules

My friend had a 29 Roadster Pickup with a a Model B motor, Riley OHV, dual Weber's and ran a torque flite behind it. I think the adapter was made by the Mancillas Brothers.

4. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Generally speaking..’yes’. There are, however, three different length tail housing/ shaft lengths for TH350 and at least two, maybe three, for aluminum PG. For a same length tail housing the PG and TH350 are the same length and all use the same output shaft spline. As I recall, the trans mount is in the same location as well.

As for the Mopar Torqueflite you mention, the 904 is most common version, especially when paired with 6 cylinder engines. The 727 might have been used in some truck applications with 6 cylinder engines and, if so, I might have one of those. In any case, the 904 would be more than adequate in your application and the bit lighter weight and lower internal drag of a 904 would be modestly beneficial with a lower power engine.

Ray

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  5. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

6. 4bangerbob

4bangerbob
    from AB, Canada

Never was a C only marking on the heads, B was police head on a model a and c was marked on the model b heads, both for regular cranks and counterbalanced cranks. Donavan made the model d

7. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

I find it curious that these charts seem to list auto trans' , must be more likely to change from auto to auto these days instead of auto to manual & vice-versa ?Sign of the times ? Did the air cooled power glide include a finned convertor as well as the drilled bell housing ?

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Yes, finned converter. The air cooled case has the bosses for the unused cooler lines but I don’t call if they are drilled and plugged or remain undrilled.

Ray

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    ekimneirbo likes this.
  9. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Ramblin Dan,
    THAT chart is great !!
    Thanks for sharing. What good info all in one chart !!

ramblin dan likes this.
  10. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Hey Bob,
    You’re pretty much right on (as-far as head id goes). , Hhard core Banger users, i.e.- 4e4 club members/me will tell you/me that the B with full counter weighted B crank, was a C engine. The early B… with ‘ beavertail’ crank, that is…. no factory counterweights was the B model. Whatever, eh.
    NOTE:
    4e4 club may be the oldest on going Banger club in existence…. any where in world. JMO, eh.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  11. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Anyone have FLAT JACK KIT … adapter for C4 auto to 32 Banger block ?
    I spoke to company owner this morning. Super nice guy !!
    He said that he could help, but with knowledge. And that he doesnt have the parts made that would be needed. I’m anxious to get his call again. This man knows how !
    Also got a tip about another guy who just finished C4 install to his B banger. Message said….. it was HARD TO DO, and expensive ! He seemed hesitant to assist neophyte. So it can be done , eh !!

Buoyed my spirits , which was needed , as today surgeon said I have to have emergency back survery. Pain is so bad. L4L5….messed up.
    So, auto is more indicated for me. Ive got troubles.
    For your information , Ive decided on trying for C4 auto use. Please do not hesitate to correct my choice, if you have positive critique !! You guys are my guidance. Thanks

12. I have used a C4 to Y-block trans kit from Flat-o products in Salem Oregon. I know he also makes a kit to connect a C4 to a Flathead V8 so he may know something about what trans would fit a B. Name is Gene Benson and he has been building auto transmissions since he was 14 and that was 50 years ago. The C4 is small, strong, and light but most importantly has a removable bell housing. Shifts are controlled mainly by vacuum so no trick linkages to build for throttle connection. The kit for the Y-block was pretty much a new bell, flexplate with an adapter and converter, no trickery to install. Also on the transmission size chart from ramblin dan be aware there was more than one version of C4 transmissions, mainly case fill or pan fill. There was also some different output shafts and housings that were different lengths between trucks, vans, and cars.

13. Budget36

Budget36

Damn on the back! Are you somewhat in my area? (Oakdale).

14. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

nosford, good useful info that you’ve given.
    Very good info that I can use when i talk to Gene again !
    Thanks for your help !!

15. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Budget36,
    Good to hear from you!
    I am in Los Angeles 91306…San Fern Valley.
    Oakland is way North of me. Where Raiders went from La…

16. Budget36

Budget36

Well, Oakdale, not Oakland....but what's 70 miles?;) And the Raiders were in Oakland, then to LA, then to Oakland and now in Las Vegas...ho humm...

If you were closer I could hook you up with a C4, for some reason I thought you were in this area.

17. indyjps

indyjps

I'd look at 200r4 or 700r4, low first gear will really help and OD will give it some legs. Rear gear will have to be matched well for torque range of the 4 cyl.

S10 4 or 6 cyl versions should be fine, as long as the trans is working the 4 cyl shouldn't put any hurt on them

18. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I love auto trannys, but I also had a 6 cylinder Falcon with a 2 speed automatic tranny and I was almost suicidal at times wanting it to go when everybody else was climbing hills etc.
    I could not image a worse choice to add to an under powered flathead engine.
    These engines need lots of gears to get them to perform as they have a limited rev range similar to early diesel's IMHO.
    I had a local friend with a power glide in a Model A roadster and he hated it and also complained about the poor gas mileage...
    Needless to say he soon removed it.
    So before you spend mega $'s on any adapter kit consult a wide range of folks who have owned such a combination is my best advice.

jersey greaser likes this.
  19. jersey greaser

jersey greaser

your not alone there, yet thankfully a new knee ended that problem for me . thou we could also do a hydro clutch and have it even easier

20. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

PERFECT input !
    This is the kind advice I seek !
    Would love to speak with your friend who had A with auto tranny ! Didd you ever see friends setup ?
    If he had near stock engine, I understand situation.
    Just want it known… I am NOT working with a stock A/B model ford engine. FYI one of the guys mentioned here that Gene , “Flat Jack”…. Has built trans for ever. I will definitely consult with Gene for gearing , etc…he is the guy who , at one time, built kit that I need.
    THERE MUST BE AKIT OUT THERE SOME WHERE.
    Maybe yuor friend STILL HAS his kit. Please check with him.

21. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

My buddy has since passed, but I understand he made his own adapter.
    All good, he just had to accept that only 2 gears were just painfully not enough to enjoy driving it.
    I've owned a driven stock Model A's and can say I always felt 4 gears for the stock car was the minimum requirement.
    There are probably many small things that can be done to improve perfromance but the trade off in $'s is probably not worth the effort...
    The otherside of getting the right tranny for the job, is a guy I knew in SoCal had a Model A RPU with 35 wires and a 5 speed tranny, that thing would run with LA traffic all day long.
    He said that darn thing runs so well at freeway speeds, I'll need to up grade the brakes to keep it safe...

22. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

An old saying(truth)…. You will never spend so much money… to go so slow !
    Your right, the 5 speed is a great add on to allow an olld 4 banger to roll along with traffic. DONT forget the brakes needed…. To safely stop, when going at freeway speeds. There comes a time , for some guys, when stick clutch wont be practical. Thats where I’m at. I can still drive stick, but why when every movement…. Body says… enough.
    Does anyone here have positive/ negative comments regarding using C4 with my banger ?
    Anyone have idea how much $$$ … a rebuilt C4 will cost me ? Thanks for all your help.

23. Budget36

Budget36

I’m confused. You mentioned a Model A/B 4, then said no, using an OHV 4.
    So is the plan to get 150 reliable HP ot of a banger, or OHV 4?
    Just trying to keep up. Lol

24. Budget36

Budget36

Here’s why I mentioned it.

25. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Ha ha ! Confused Im familiar with.
    Ok, this is a 4cly engine that is BASED ON the Ford B( 1932 and up 4 banger).
    Look up Donovan D. That will show you what Im working with. Same exact cu in as original A/B….200.5 cu in. It is a banger engine… but a bit upgrade.
    Now to build out with lots of HP, use OHV setup.
    OHV has been used on bangers… forever !
    Lotts of old time and new tricks used to improve HP.
    As said previously, Im trying for 250 with the way it is made and equipped. Naturally aspirated with 4 barrel 390 Holley.

26. redo32

redo32

OK, now I'm starting to understand your 250HP estimate. Post pictures of the project would be nice.

Budget36 likes this.
  27. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Mancillas Brothers are winning Banger racers, but never heard of them making anything parts/kit..for sale. Do you know ?

28. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

It is very close to being fully assembled for dyno.

Attached Files:

29. Budget36

Budget36

Now, I'm catching on... :)

30. hardtimesainit

hardtimesainit

Thanks woodie,
    Ill attempt contact with this company !