Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Value of a 57 chevy 235

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 57chevymadman, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Hey everyone! What would be a fair price for a freshly rebuilt 57 chevy 235 these days?

Thanks!!

chevy57dude likes this.
  2. Budget36

Budget36

Are you selling or buying? Are machine shop items/list available?

3. Selling, I'm working on trying to get the rebuild receipts from the previous owner, just trying to see what it's worth, might drive it for a summer as is... Elk grove Ca

4. Budget36

Budget36

I'll be honest with you. Seems to be a running engine, my guess is your plan is to go V8. You didn't have it rebuilt, so you're taking the sellers word for it. Am I on the correct path so far?

So add in you may just "drive it" (ya summer is gone right?) means it's running.

So IMO you have a running 235. So far so good? How long has it been running? I/e "rebuilt" ?

Can you stand behind it?

So again, just my opinion you have a running 235, you really don't know anything about and (assuming) it runs. 500 tops in our area. Folks looking for a running 235 don't really care if it is a '57 engine or not. You might however, it it can be assured it came from the car in your profile pic, and if it did, why sell it?

I guess as the saying goes "how long is a piece of string"? Yes, I know twice it 1/2, but get with it.

Okay, back to netflix;)

wvenfield, Just Gary and X38 like this.

5. Haha yeah, without receipts I really dont know what has been done to it definitely going v8 hopefully in the spring or maybe next fall, gotta see how my new job in Solar sales goes, wanna get Solar? Haha
    We install all over nor cal:D

6. Budget36

Budget36

7. You will get more if its able to be started,and ran.No one will go beyond a couple hundred if its sitting on the ground.Sell in car,and be ready to pull it for a next day pick up.

VANDENPLAS and Just Gary like this.
  8. Unless it's "numbers matching" I don't see much interest, after all you don't want it and you can drive the car today.

I say $250 and get rid of it. If you want top dollar, find a place to store it.

Hollywood-East and 1934coupe like this.
  9. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

What would you do if some guy came over took a look, like what he saw and said, I will bring my 57 Chevy over without the engine, we will put it in, see how it runs, drive it around and I will pay what you are asking.

10. I bought a bunch of 235’s and 261’s in either running when pulled or “ unknown” condition complete with manifolds snd all attachments for 200 bucks or less

I sold my rebuilt 261 long block for $3500 bucks but it was new and I had receipts for all the work done and could stand behind the fact it had almost 0 miles on it.

1934coupe likes this.
  11. 1934coupe

1934coupe

57 heap and vandenplas answered your question pretty well. It's only worth what someone will pay and if it's sitting on your garage floor no matter how rebuilt it's not worth a lot. If some one can really use it just get rid of it for what they offer. You have nothing in it, you bought the car with the motor in it.

Pat

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. finn

finn

Sitting on the ground, it’s a $60 core.

In a car, running and waiting to be pulled, $250-500.

On a good day.

13. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I paid 500 for the same deal about 8 years ago. Pulled the head off and it was all brand new inside. I've since sold it to another friend who was an inline 6 guy.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  14. Fogger

Fogger

I sold the 235 and power glide from my '55 for $500. The buyer was able to drive the car before I pulled it. Not rebuilt but a good running engine and transmission.

15. I once bought a '63 Nova with a bad engine. The guy had a nicely painted rebuilt engine sitting on the floor that went with the deal. I bought it, installed the "rebuilt" and started driving it. Smoked so bad that I had to pull it after a couple weeks.

16. Truckedup

Truckedup

the value? very little when selling, expensive when buying ;)

6inarow, 57 HEAP and 1934coupe like this.
  17. Squablow

Squablow

If I needed one, and I could hear yours run and maybe ride in the car with the engine in it so I knew it didn't smoke or knock, maybe a compression test, I'd pay $400 for one like that. Pulled out, with only your word on it, I don't think I'd want to pay more than $100 for it. Receipts for the rebuild would up my price somewhat but if there's no proof it was rebuilt I'd never take the seller's word for it.

18. Before you make a firm decision to pull it, drive it for a while and see how you like the car with a 6 in it. You MIGHT like it...after all, belly-button horsepower isn't everything, it's how the car drives that counts. After putting some miles on it, you'll know how good that engine really is, and that can help you price it. DON'T pull it until a buyer has heard it run, unless $$ isn't important for your quest for a V-8.

19. Budget36

Budget36

So true. Had a 350/350 set up ready to go in a pickup I had. But that damned 235 ran so well it stayed in place.

20. The good thing is your 57 235 is the full pressure oiling version. As opposed to the earlier low pressure splash oiling 235. That makes it better for potential buyers market size. But even if you get receipts, it is now a used engine since it has been run and driven around. Might be lower miles and good condition, which helps your price. fully agree that if you do want to sell it then leave in car and let people see it drive and run. No smoking, knocking, leaking, etc will sell it for more money and more quickly than a core engine that turns over sitting on the floor.

21. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

I forgot to mention I bought mine from a fellow Hamber who gave his word and a money back guarantee if it wasn't as described. It was.. Otherwise I'd have a hard time taking a strangers word without proof that a used engine is anything but a core.

22. 55blacktie

55blacktie

During my last year of high school, I owned a 57 Chevy 3100 SB, SBW/w 235 and 3-on-a-tree. I think anyone who is looking for a 235 would be willing to pay $1000/more for a good-running engine that's in a vehicle that can be driven. The cost of a professional rebuild will far exceed $1000. You should post a photo.

23. choptop40

choptop40
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

id ask 1500.00 and go from there

24. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

I bought a 216 for ten dollars that was being advertised for 100 dollars. Good thing, I only lost my time, effort, and 10 dollars on that deal.

Beanscoot likes this.
  25. Thanks everyone definitely leaving it running in the car for A full demonstration

26. scoop

scoop

Wish you were in Minnesota, I know a guy looking for one.

27. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Twenty three years ago I bought a '56 235 that was reportedly rebuilt at a price of $500. I asked for the receipts, the owner doesn't have them. Who rebuilt it I ask, the guy next door! Can I talk with him? Sure, gives me the number. The guy is very nice, an old water well driller who rebuilt the engine. Got the receipts? No, my wife does the bookkeeping and she says we don't have them. Four years ago I gave the guy a call as I had passed over 100k miles. I'm at 120 k now uses 1/2 quart of oil between 2x/year oil changes.