Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration Anybody Heard Of These....Drag Magazine?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Speed Gems, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

I was searching Flea bay just now and i came across some R&C little pages but included were two little books i've never seen or heard of. It says San Diego's only local magazine for the motor minded. I checked www.99wspeedshop.com but didn't find anything
    s-l1600 (4).jpg

2. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

I was stationed in San Diego '64 - '67, and hit many used bookstores & swap meets, trying to fill my magazine collections. Never saw a single issue ... maybe sold at drags & shows ?

loudbang, Stogy and Speed Gems like this.
  3. Has to be rare a local like that - I say buy !

loudbang, Stogy and Speed Gems like this.
  4. I Googled "Drag Magazine" on the net. - - - - - Don't do that.
    Now I have to go bleach my eyeballs.

5. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

:D

loudbang and Stogy like this.
  6. Beanscoot

Beanscoot

What's the date of the second one in the picture?

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  7. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just experienced similar but I tried to put as many words to eliminate as much of the expected hits...didn't work...:oops:...BUT I found this link...;)

http://www.san-diego-prowlers-hot-rod-club.com/history/in-the-1950s/

Turns out some of the more revered shots around here came courtesy of the Belly Tank Issue...you shared...definately one to have in your collection...

Here's a couple of references shared at the link above...

cache_4201944439.jpg

cache_4201944441.jpg

:rolleyes:...being a San Diego publication would have made the Prowlers a shoe in for being a popular and stellar group to feature as they sure had done the Hotrod Walk without a doubt...

Last edited: Sep 16, 2021
  8. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

9. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No problems Speed, I've been spelling Club and Corner wrong all these years too...:oops:

loudbang and Speed Gems like this.
  10. catdad49

catdad49

Stogy, may be they knew Barris! Great find, add this to the thread “Yes, they’re Still out there”.

Stogy and loudbang like this.
  11. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I bet @jnaki has some helpful information on that publication!

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

He probably typed it up for them!​

13. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I have to laugh at that one....

ramblin dan, Stogy and loudbang like this.
  14. Hahaha .... years ago in Toronto there used to be a restaurant named 'The Organ Grinder', try searching that on your work computer :eek:

Stogy, Tman, VANDENPLAS and 1 other person like this.
  15. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

Well, that is a vote of confidence for just a guy that has a varied background in hot rods and drag racing. Thank you very much for the thought. But, in 1953, we had just moved to our last Westside of Long Beach house and my brother and I were still young whipper snappers... (a term I learned from our OKC extended family, later)

I was only 9 years old, still riding my Schwinn bicycle and doing dangerous things with steel wheel, homemade, sidewalk scooters in our neighborhood. The fastest modification we had built was a lowered wagon (then a wooden frame with wheels) with a rope attached to the back of the Schwinn for some wild rides on the local school playground.

But, if it was not for those early years, and then listening to those sounds coming from the West after a couple of years at this new address, did we get interested in what was making the sounds. A few bicycle trips to the railroad berm allowed us to see what was what in 1955. What a view and acknowledgement of what was making those very loud, cool sounds from the machines flying by us.

Jnaki

So, again, thanks for thinking that I could have been knowledgeable about the Prowlers background history in that cool magazine. My films, contacts from our drag racing history and great self-taught research methods from hours spent in the library stacks during college, studying with my wife, taught me a lot of ways to find information. It is something you just don't lose as you get older, and we are now a lot older.

Thanks...

Stogy, williebill, catdad49 and 3 others like this.
  16. harpo1313

harpo1313
    from wareham,ma

Always good to hear your stories Jnaki. Also Stogy for research beyond. Thanks.

Stogy, catdad49, Speed Gems and 2 others like this.
  17. catdad49

catdad49

HAMB Historical Society!

stillrunners, Stogy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  18. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Bob Hardee was a San Diego resident and was a regular photo contributor to all of the Petersen books in the 50’s and 60’s. So, I would figure that it was a Southern California regional publication.

catdad49, Stogy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  19. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I was given a few boxes of car books from the neighbour when she was moving after her husband passed. She was a very prim and proper lady and I knew she hadn't looked through the books before giving them to me cause there was a collection of Auto Buff magazines in there.

20. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

@Speed Gems get those mags, I want to see the rest of the content albiet with titles such as Mr. Jalopy of 1953 and Hot Stiff I'd be a little hesitant turning the pages...Ahhh the Good Ole Days...:D

Really very little out there regarding these Mags but I'll bet they were actually packed with great content...they look like Little Pages...