Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Converting a model A to Juice brakes

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Dave Huelke, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Dave Huelke

Dave Huelke

Hi guys wanted to know when suing stock axles and 40 backing plates to convert a model A to Juice brakes can I use model A brake drums or do I need to use 40 Drums? if I need to use 40 drums will I need to do anything to the bearings?

dirt t likes this.
  2. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Can’t use model a brake drums and model a ford have drum and hub as one. So you will need drums hub and backing plates

Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  3. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

I'm all most sure you have to use 40 druns. and the 40 drum bearings work, once you use a Kit to adapt them to the spindles. Speedway use to sell the Kit, it has 2 big rings to put the backing plate on the spindle and 2 small rings to help the rear bearing fit on the spindle. Make since? Hope this help.

ChupaJustin and Nailhead A-V8 like this.
  4. 31Apickup

31Apickup

Besides Model A drums are smaller diameter.

5. Dave Huelke

Dave Huelke

Does this hold true for both front and rear axles?

6. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

@RICH B ? Isn't there some interference between B/P & drum until you use a custom bearing race or cone spacer to move the drum out? or I've even seen a thread on here where a guy machined the drums backing pates and shoes because the spacer is hard on axle keys apparently

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  7. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Yes... if you have a set of model A piston rings...they are the exact size needed to space between B/P and spindle

8. Nailhead A-V8

Nailhead A-V8

Oh and you first have have to decide whether you will heat and dimple your b/p's or cut a hole in them... and also if you will clock them so the spring doesn't interfere with the w/c or flip them so the w/c is on the bottom or have the axle ends machined to move the brakes inboard ...man there's quite a bit of conflicting info and seemingly arduous routes out there:confused: but the fact is guys have been doing it forever

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  9. What are your plans for a master cylinder mount? They make a battery box that also incorporates a master cylinder mount but be careful some manufacturers use metal that is too thin and they flex. Where, in general, are you located?

Charlie Stephens

10. Dave Huelke

Dave Huelke