Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Turn Signal cluster light add.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by askforjonny, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Hey,
    I'm working on adding a bulb to the right and left turn signal indicators in my 49' Ford cluster.

Currently I have a turn signal column mount turn signal switch.

I'm thinkin I would splice a light into the circuit after the flasher relay for both right and left signals.

:confused: Not sure if this is a realistic workable approach.... Maybe someone else has done this and can tell me why this will or will not work.

2. dalesnyder

dalesnyder

The dash indicators are tied to the front turn signal lights. If you wire them to the rear lights they will also light with the brake lights. You can use just one indicator with diodes going to both sides.

askforjonny likes this.
  3. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

How many wires does your switch have ?

4. I'm not sure how exactly to spice into the circuit. I'm thinking that I could figure out which wire leaves the flasher to the current turn signals and splice a bulb inline. in theory adding another bulb to the flasher circuit.

5. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That switch that you linked to has a light.

The green end of the lever lights up.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  6. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. I wonder if I was to get this switch instead and used the wire for the indicator light at the
    Yes I would like the dash lights to light up instead of ..... Just the tip

8. jaracer

jaracer

Doesn't your 49 cluster have left and right turn indicators? I have a 49 or 50 cluster in my Model A and it has both indicator lamps. You just need to splice them into the front left and the front right turn signal lights. If you connect them to the wire after the flasher, both will light. IMG_1378.JPG

askforjonny likes this.
  9. Yes it does.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Pull the bulb in the end of the lever.

The instructions will tell you which wires are for the front turn signals, both left and right. Split both of them after they go under the dashboard. Use the long leads to go out to the front of the car for the signals. Use the other wire that you attach to the bulbs of your choice on the dash (or stock ones if they are present).

That will get you a left and right indicator on the dash.

This holds true for any lever, so take your pick.

askforjonny likes this.
  11. However there are just 2 empty bulb sockets holes in the back of the cluster and what looks like an after market turn signal switch from the late 50's/60's pipe strapped to the column.

I was going to buy 2 sockets from SOMEWHERE... and add them to the cluster some kinda way to blink when in use.

12. 24riverview

24riverview

askforjonny likes this.
  13. You remember that old geezer with his left turn signal flashing for 12 miles on the freeway last week?
    Yea, that was me. :oops:

I'm putting these in my dashboard...... first chance I get. :cool: :rolleyes:

DSCN2334.JPG

VANDENPLAS and ramblin dan like this.
  15. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I bought these ones with arrows for my car cause I'm tired of people telling me where to go. my indicator lites.jpg

askforjonny and VANDENPLAS like this.
  16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

OOOH!

Where did those come from?

My Falcon has one single red indicator.

17. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Not quite sure. Bought them off Ebay.

18. oldsman41

oldsman41

Elementary, wire to front signal wires. If you are going to do a lot of wiring the book how to wire a hot rod is a great way to go

19. I kinda just want to use the original cluster bulb sockets.

20. I just finished under the dash and the engine bay. Just traced one wire at a time.

302GMC likes this.