Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Thoughts on kill switches….

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by AGELE55, Sep 14, 2021.

1. Joe H

Joe H

I have a battery kill switch, I turn it off every time I get out. Last battery I bought was from Walmart, it lasted 14 years, figured the shut had to have helped the life of it.

clem likes this.
  2. Mimilan

Mimilan

HEI's are a bit more difficult to disconnect/isolate.

All a thief does is simply unplug the HEI and connect a Hotwire to it [totally bypassing any hidden kill switch]
    Personally on a Tri-5 , I would recommend a Ford Starter relay mounted on the underside of the battery tray [this makes jumping the actual starter more difficult, and fixes the dreaded heat soak starter issues at the same time

If you want a potential thief to leave some DNA evidence behind [Skin, blood, hair on the hood latch]:D
    Use a latching relay spliced to the S post wire on the starter/key circuit, then to the horn.

Even if somebody uses a screwdriver to start it, it will backfeed and activate the relay [and HORN].
    [post #30] is 12volt live
    [post #87] to the Horn
    [post #86] is ground
    [post # 85] goes to the starter solenoid "S" wire/circuit

You run a Latching wire from the horn side of the relay [post #87] around to the primary circuit [post #85]
    That way the Horn cannot be switched off unless this circuit is broken.[because back-feeding keeps it activated]

upload_2021-9-15_14-0-18.png
    To switch it off use a simple DPST switch [hidden]
    upload_2021-9-15_14-6-53.png
    One circuit goes into the latching circuit from [post #87] to [post #85] so it can be switched off.
    The other circuit goes to the primary activating circuit from [post #85] to the "S" wire , so you can start the car yourself without triggering the horn.

All a thief needs to do is short a screwdriver from the battery to the solenoid and the horn goes [and stays on]
    Or even start it with a skeleton key etc

3. A little c4 under the drivers seat with a remote detonator. If you're not gonna get to enjoy your car anymore, why not make sure the thieves don't either...

19Eddy30, '34 Ratrod, AGELE55 and 3 others like this.
  4. gene-koning

gene-koning

If they are going to steal your classic car, the odds are they are not going to drive it away unless its kids going on a joy ride (or to a drift show). With a wheel lift wrecker, they can have your car gone in seconds.

5. I have Studebakers - should I be worried ?

6. It was blue all right.
    He reckoned it was a Brock, probably wasn't.
    I do know it flew like shit off a shovel.

7. cfmvw

cfmvw

A neat trick a friend of mine used was to replace the lead between the coil and distributor cap with a piece of vacuum hose with boots on it to match the rest of the plug wires.

8. AGELE55

AGELE55

All the responses talking about thieves using a roll back trailer got me thinking. Maybe install a locking collar around the parking brake pull handle?

9. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Outside of racing and a sanctioning body requiring a battery shut off, I see no reason to have one. They're ugly, and as correctly mentioned, add an additional failure point.

As to an ignition kill switch, a basic toggle between power to the ignition, I don't see an issue with it per se, provided you hide it. But let's face reality, if a thief wants to steal your car, it's getting taken one way or another. Most crimes are those of opportunity, so don't park with your windows down and leave the car for hours on end, don't leave valuables in plain sight, and garage the car at home if possible. These are your best ways to prevent theft. But if a legitimate thief comes for the car, they're coming with a truck and trailer and nobody is going to stop them. In fact, I'd argue that making it hard on them is either going to stop the theft, or guarantee that the car gets significantly damaged in the process of being stolen, maybe both.

I just have good insurance and don't worry about it.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  10. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Perhaps the best means of theft prevention is to pack your shit up and move to a better area?

Maicobreako likes this.
  11. cfmvw

cfmvw

I know this is an OT application, but I have a Gene Berg locking shifter in my VW...put it in reverse and turn the key...really stout, solid piece.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  12. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

My car sucks. Nobody wants it.

egads, Blues4U, AGELE55 and 2 others like this.
  13. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

Hey let me know where your bug is and I will come load it up with the shifter in any gear you want! :)

If the thief is a pro many of these tactics will not stop the theft. I make an effort to park one of my newer cars in front of the hot rods while not in use. I also don't advertise what I have....if I can have it parked inside I will.

14. 6sally6

6sally6

I like your boy ! Special MEN chose submarine duty........
    Most guys have no idea how the letters SS after your rank is so hard to achieve.
    Not every MAN can do it.
    6sally6

15. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

I shut the battery off every time I park in the garage. Had a guy a few miles from me with a vintage Caddy that had an electrical fire and burned down most of his house cause the garage was attached.

16. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Dish soap and water on the deck is how that squealing sound is prevented.

Johnny Gee likes this.
  17. Battery kill switch is a nobrainer. Whether your storing in off season or at a event over night its piece of mind. The new stuff muddies the waters a bit. My latest project has a GM LT4 8 speed auto. Killing the power losses all the two ecu's have learned, fine for the winter but I don't want to do it all the time. In this case I put a hidden switch into the ignition so it will spin over but not start.

18. RmK57

RmK57

I wonder if the new age car theives would take a chance boosting a car with a 3 on the tree trans? It would be a great prop with hidden cameras on Americas Funniest Home Videos.

I have a simple hidden switch under the dash and a steering wheel club. Generally thieves are lazy and wont bother if they see a steering wheel club and move on to the next victim.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  19. '34 Ratrod

'34 Ratrod

I drove a rollback tow truck for about 12 years, helping a friend nights and weekends. I picked up a grundle of repossessed vehicles, it didn't matter if the car was locked, trans in gear, and the steering locked all the way to one side. I just sprayed the bed of the tow truck with soapy water using a squirt bottle and the vehicle pulled up onto the bed slick as can be.

irishsteve and TrailerTrashToo like this.
  20. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Roll back or a repo rig. I've watched a couple in my area who are legit repo people work the parking lot at the mall a few times with him driving and her comparing cars and plates to a list of cars they are looking for. Thing was that they went straight to the close by city police station and told the cops that they had the car and showed them the repo orders.

Most of the things that the guys throw out stop or hinder the joy rider or guy without a plan who just decides that he needs to steal your car but won't stop today's pro thief.

As silly as I think laying frame on anything is, that may be the best anti joy rider theft protection. Air the bugger out on the ground, blow the tanks and stick the master fuse or breaker to the pumps in your pocket.

Deuces, gimpyshotrods and VANDENPLAS like this.
  21. belair

belair

IMO, some people need them.

Brian Eddison and Glitchy like this.
  22. RmK57

RmK57

Around 30 years I recall a tow truck trying to drag out a Boss 429 Mustang from an underground apartment parking lot. There was 150 feet of rubber from the parking spot to outside the building.
    The driver of the tow truck gave up and got the heck out of Dodge as bystanders were raising eyebrows as to what's going on. 1970, the first year of the column steering lock and lock into reverse gear.
    Saved that owner a lot of grief.

23. ........tow truck

24. X-cpe

X-cpe

Bolt cutters vs. cable.

25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A whole bunch of cars get stolen on flatbeds on trash pick up day, at about that time.

Clunk, clunk, scrape, bang whirr, blends in with the garbage and recycling trucks.

26. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

It depends on the thief , Nothing is safe.
    If the desire is there to take , they will take it. You might make it a little difficult for them but again if they want it they will take it.
    There are many ways to skin a cat!
    Some know pretty much all the ways to do so.
    There's other ways to protect, then you you will need a lawyer.

Locks are only for honest people!!

Deuces likes this.
  27. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

Screenshot_20210915-171645_Chrome.jpg

Blues4U likes this.
  28. AGELE55

AGELE55

29. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

To most it looks like Its a deterrent & there ride is safe ?:p
    No key ,cutting tool , torch or hammer needed.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  30. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I can unlock that with nothing more high-tech than the tube from a Bic Round Stic pen.

Elcohaulic likes this.