Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects How many people here own 49 Buicks

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BJR, Aug 17, 2021.

1. BJR

BJR

I own a 1949 Buick Super Sedanet, and was wondering how many Hamber's own 49 Buicks of any body style. It's a car you don't see very often, and I am not sure why. So check in and let's see if there is more than 3 or 4 of us.

41 GMC K-18 likes this.
  2. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I'm number two.

3. kjmmm

kjmmm

I have two sedanets and one four door and would like to build a sedanet as soon as I finish about ten other projects.

SuperWildcat likes this.
  4. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

From the late '50s until a few years ago, the last car anyone wanted was a great big Buick that took half a minute to get to 45 MPH ... all that changed when having a strange car became popular.
    In the late '70s, I bought a black '49 Super 4dr that looked 2 years old, $125, I think. Drove it for a couple months when a guy offered me an air conditioned '55 Imperial coupe straight across for it. After 5 seconds of deliberation, I owned an Imperial ...

5. williebill

williebill

Love 'em. Don't own one, but the back end, fenders, lights, and especially the cool as hell bumper looks so custom from the factory.
    Front end ain't bad, either.

6. Fat47

Fat47
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think my build thread is still up on my 49 Sedanette but moving and building a new shop over the last two years plus an upholster who disappeared after starting the headliner really slowed the project.

7. SuperWildcat

SuperWildcat

I own a Sedanet but it's a 41

8. BJR

BJR

Fat47 I was hoping you would chime in.

9. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

A friends factory RHD sedanette, a rare car down here.
    Screenshot 2021-08-27 at 08-38-52 Facebook.png

41 GMC K-18 and 302GMC like this.
  10. BJR

BJR

There must be more than just these few on the Hamb. Come on chime in.

11. rockable

rockable
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Brian, I don't think you realize how rare these cars are. You, me and Walt (Fat 47) are the only people I know that have them.

12. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

49 Buicks is a lot of Buicks. I only have one.

NashRodMan and BJR like this.
  13. LOL!

Ben

BJR likes this.
  14. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

I have a '47 Super.

15. hemihotrod66

hemihotrod66

Had a 1950 Super once...Good car all stock...This was in 1975

Attached Files:

rockable likes this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

When our family first arrived in Long Beach from a long drive down the inland desert area of California from the Oregon border, it was 1946. My brother and I had no idea where we were. It was just a long trip full of food, snacks, drinks, and naps. Our dad drove on until he could not and we all stayed in some small motel along the route to So Cal.

We eventually arrived in Long Beach, but it was not the Westside of Long Beach. It was just on the other side of the Los Angeles River in an industrial park with a several block radius of small/large trailers for our home. (and for our relatives, too.)

Then after several years of living in the trailer court, our dad had again, saved up enough for a down payment on a “real house.” It was a two bedroom one bath Craftsman Style house with a huge fenced in yard. Now, this was as far West as Long Beach border could go in that direction. On the other side of our yard and the railroad tracks was Wilmington, CA.

There was an old rickety multiple car garage at the end of our yard and attached to the garage was an odd studio apartment. That was our rainy day playground and “get out of the house” place for sanctuary.

Upon arriving in the new house, my dad tried to park in the small garage spaces that had individual doors. It was a nightmare, since the opening was too narrow for the Buick Fastback Sedan. Also, the two barn style doors would not close all the way. So, the place to park was out in front of our picket fence, under a couple of huge palm trees.

By 1949, my dad has sold the 41 Buick and bought another huge 1949 4 door Buick Roadmaster. The poor 1941 Buick Fastback never got to stay in a garage for its whole life. Either did the 1949 black Buick Roadmaster
    upload_2021-9-15_4-1-14.png
    1946 trailer park parking lot and 1948 on the street Westside of Long Beach parking on the street.

(Note: The whole block is now, history. The houses were all torn down and leveled for a new elementary/middle school complex in the modern times. But, they kept our address as the schools listed address: 2335 Webster Ave.)

Jnaki

One of the most memorable things at this far Westside location was to be allowed to steer the big Buick sedans down the street. When I ran to meet our dad everyday at a pre-arranged time, he picked me up and allowed me to steer his big Buick back to our house. It was a block long adventure for me.

Finally, I could turn towards the curb and pull away just before the tire hit the curb. Then the Buick was in front of our white picket fence and yard. To this day, I have always thanked my dad for getting me involved in the steering of his Buick Fastback Sedan. Now, if I could only be tall enough to step on the brake AND gas pedal…

After doing this daily early evening driving (steering) lesson, my mom was wondering where I was going every day at 5:45 pm every day. She never saw me steer the 1941 Buick, as my dad bought a giant black 1949 4 door Buick Roadmaster sedan and the lessons continued. One time she saw the black Buick pull up to the curb and there I was, looking out of the window, waving. Needless to say, the $#!%&$ hit the fan and my dad was in the doghouse.

But, for all of the times we did those steering episodes, I was able to get a clear understanding of my skills of steering a car back/forth and moving to a specific location. It was my first behind the wheel lesson and experiences. Thanks, Dad… Boooo, on my mom…

upload_2021-9-15_4-3-20.png 7 years old on the 1949 Buick Roadmaster.

The only custom thing our dad did to his 49 Buick was to put on a big tube on the side of the passenger window to cool all of us off inside during those hot summer months. That did not last long as our mom had water blowing on her and the thing dripped water all of the time. It was gone in a couple of weeks. My brother and I had a great playground in that huge back seat from 49 to 53, when a different house and another Buick sedan came into the picture.

17. rockable likes this.