Register now to get rid of these ads!

History What would younger you say?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lostone, Sep 13, 2021.

1. 6inarow

6inarow

my younger me said "why would you pay $600 for that 55 2 door hard top when you can get the 56-4 door sedan for $50?? Dont be a dumb ass - both cars will get you there. Shiiiiit I was stupid.... Ah check that - probably still am

lostone likes this.
  2. Younger me would say " hell yes!"

20210914_133408.jpg

3. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

This is actually what I would say to myself if I could go back in time

41 GMC K-18, mgtstumpy and lostone like this.
  4. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

Pick a sock you like, same color, and keep buyin' 'em. That way, you can always and ever just grab two and they will always match.

5. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The younger me would probably ask "Did we ever figure out an easier way to unhook a girl's bra?";)

6. ramblin dan

ramblin dan

Date girls that don't wear them.

7. LAROKE

LAROKE

I can't imagine I would want to hear anything a younger me might say. I was as goofy as anybody else at that age.

8. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

You know we all laugh and joke about the young "us" but I would love to have back some of the wonderment and enthusiasm for building I had back then.

I was willing to tackle anything and give it my best try back then no matter how insurmountable the odds seemed stacked against me.

I would have the older gents look at me and shake their heads on some of the projects I tried and now I find myself shaking my head.

Some say its wisdom.... Nah I say its old age !! Lol !!

pitman, 41 GMC K-18, bowie and 2 others like this.
  9. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

LMAO. I always went for the girls with BIG gozongas...and they NEEDED to wear a bra...usually a heavy duty jobber with 3, 4, or 5 hooks...presented quite a challenge, especially when you are in the car.

10. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Younger me would probably say a bunch of dumb stuff, but I hope would have enough sense to listen to older me.

Younger me would wonder why I'm driving our buddy's dad's car.

11. LAROKE

LAROKE

In the movie, Looper, Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays young Joe and Bruce Willis plays old Joe. Time travel is involved and they end up trying to kill each other. Entertaining but no wisdom is gained by their interaction.

lostone likes this.
  12. jaracer

jaracer

My younger me would probably say that it isn't a sprint car, but it will do for a grocery getter. IMG_1511.JPG

13. Truck64

Truck64
    from Ioway

I learned a lot (sometimes) because I didn't have any choice, no money back then. Not enough to pay someone else anyway. Have ran into examples of my earlier handiwork and for the life of me, can't figure out how I did it! When there's a will there's a way.

One thing I've learned the hard way though is there is a really big difference in being frugal or thrifty, and then just being stubbornly cheap. It's kind of hard to explain.

Thrifty is a good character trait, but cheap is different. Whenver I try to cheap out, this has led to some really really expensive mistakes.

14. What did you do with our hair?
    One project at a time.
    Start something, then finish it.
    Take up model railroading instead.

15. 4 pedals

4 pedals
    from Nor Cal

My older self would tell my younger self to appreciate what I have and find hobbies/ a career that's not fixing things.

Devin

hotrodjack33, lostone and mgtstumpy like this.
  16. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Fourteen, eh? Lol.

17. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

"Well, How 'bout that?"

lostone likes this.
  18. 38 Olds 2 Dr, I'm gona paint the frame and wheel wells white, take all the springs out, wipe it down with Wesson Oil for gloss and go to the drive-in at 5 mph cause its an inch off the ground and drags the on the crown of the road. Oh Ya and wear your shades at night, in the day time they're just shades at night they're COOL. That's what I told myself and did about 1958. JW

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    hotrodjack33 and lostone like this.
  19. Older me would smack younger me for being an idiot.
    Then younger me would smack older me for STILL being an idiot !!

alanp561, 41 GMC K-18, LAROKE and 6 others like this.
  20. Darin Younce

Darin Younce

I would say, buy all the 32 fords 40 coupes, 50 coupes and a few non hamber cars that happen to have a hemi or the word Shelby included in the name. Oh become buddies with Bill Gates and buy apple and Walmart Stock.

VANDENPLAS and lostone like this.
  21. jnaki

jnaki

Hello,

If we had kept all of the cars 4 cars we had fun with from 1956 to 76, we would have to have a larger house with a 4 car garage. Possible 6 car garage due to the fact that the daily drivers would need a place to park for access. Those cars would be relegated to several times a week street action to keep all things working fine. We were not in the time period where people kept their old cars and bought or built a new one. A daily driver was the custom hot rod and only a few had multiple cars.

The mantra was: “Buy one/build it and if you wanted a new one or a new build, you sold the old one you have.” Buy one sell one in simple terms. Plus, in the old days, we all only had a two car garage. No carports or three/four car garages. There were side yards, but not for storage.

At one time, we had 5 cars. Two in the two car garage, two on the concrete pad and grass backyard and one in the backyard garage. But, that got whittled down to 4, then three as the college age teens moved out. The final count for the old Caspian Avenue teenage house was one for my mom and a Buick for my dad.

Jnaki

Saving an old car is not what we did for value, we drove it daily and put on plenty of miles. It we were wealthy enough and had the facilities to park our old cars, perhaps we would have done it. But, as it was, where would we have gotten the infusion of cash for the next car purchase, while keeping the old car?

We were never looking at driving a hot rod an investment. It was our daily driver and road trip cruiser. We had plenty of fun doing all that we did with the old hot rods and station wagons in our arsenal. It may not be the old hot rodder’s dream squad, but for us, they lasted until we made a decision.

The scenario is the same today. We have two old cars, a 16 year old and an 8 year old for my wife. They are both paid off and as long as they run fine, they are safe. There are no other future car(s) on the horizon, except for the 400 hp small station wagon my wife keeps mentioning as we drive around and an old 1940 Ford Sedan we keep seeing in our purchasing minds.

But, as usual, one has to go before we get another one. Back then and right now... YRMV

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    lostone and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  22. The younger me and the older me still think the same way...

"If it is not period correct, makes it go faster or stop shorter it has no place being on my car!"

lostone likes this.
  23. squirrel

squirrel

"Holy shit!!!!"

alanp561, 41 GMC K-18 and lostone like this.
  24. { My younger me would say.} I can't believe you still haven't finished the coupe! 227.jpg 014.jpg

alanp561, pitman, lostone and 2 others like this.
  25. I just used my teeth, my hands were busy.....

26. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well the younger me at 17, undaunted by common sense, just had to have the 41 GMC K-18 panel truck, my dad could not convince me, to NOT buy it !

k-18 in 1971-3.JPG

The older me, came to my senses and sold it a few years ago, not a lot of difference in the element of me listening to anybody, but the price of tires today, does have the ability to make a person think !

41 GMC K-18 side view (2).JPG
    IMG_3253MA31291520-0006 (2).JPG

No regrets what so ever for the purchase of that cool kick ass rig back in 1970 !

27. Deuce Daddy Don

Deuce Daddy Don
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Love the "BRA" answers!!!!

hotrodjack33 and lostone like this.
  28. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

I swear, I thought that was Wilford Brimley when I first looked at that truck.

29. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I always take that as a compliment, we have the same facial features and same style of glasses and very similar mustaches!

wilfred brimley hicklin.jpg hat and head.jpg IMG_5355.jpg

30. SS327

SS327

You were stupid then and are still stupid! I told you not to get married but you knew better and lost your race car and house and everything else you owned or loved over it!
    DUMB ASS!

lostone likes this.