Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs SM319 w/BW R10H-1A OD unit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by D'Monsta, Sep 14, 2021.

1. D'Monsta

D'Monsta

I just got one of these transmissions that I'll be putting in my DD '66 GMC 1/2 ton. Of course,it's missing a couple of things.. The speedo bullet (longer than the regular unit), the relay, the kick-down switch, the T-handle/cable and wiring.. I thought I read somewhere that a headlight foot switch can be used instead of the kick-down switch.. Anyone have a wiring diagram for that mod? I have a box of parts and wires here and want to use what I can.. I have a relay from an air conditioning array, dimmer foot switch and an old choke cable.. Hoping to use all of it.. 20210910_163604.jpg 20210910_163506.jpg all3.JPG 20210914_131751.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  2. These work best when installed as designed. The dimmer switch won't work for kickdown, you need a 2P2T momentary contact switch for that. The relay needs to be a 1P2T like a standard Bosch 5-pin relay. The choke cable may work, but the OD cables are usually stiffer/heavier. All these parts are available with a bit of searching. Correct wiring diagrams are readily available.

SS327, seb fontana and jaracer like this.
  3. D'Monsta

D'Monsta

Thanks for the input.. I'd like all the right stuff of course but was hoping to cobble it together somewhat to see if the trans is any good. I've read quite a few threads where guys by-pass the governor, relay and kick down switch.. I guess I'll do the Johnny Cash and get it 'one piece at a time.'

4. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might start with Van Pelt’s. I think a lot of those BW o/d parts were the same no matter which company they were produced for. I’m guessing Mac at Van Pelts will know right off hand what interchanges and what doesn’t and can take care of most of it.

Steve’s right, they work real nice when done as the factories set them up. One thing to remember is the R10’s weren’t used behind anything larger than the 292 yblocks in the Fords. So depending on what engine you’ve got you might want to treat it accordingly. By that I mean not dumping the clutch, or hammering it in 2nd over instead of using 3rd direct.
    If it’s a big block you’ll have to be more gentle than that.

http://www.vanpeltsales.com/

5. D'Monsta

D'Monsta

6. D'Monsta

D'Monsta

Finally got my Overdrive working. I used the choke cable to engage the overdrive and a pull on switch with a red light to supply power to the solenoid.. It works to turn off OD and also as a kick down switch.. This system works great.. It's more of a manual kickdown,but I don't have to goose the engine to make it happen, which I prefer. I ran a jumper from the governor to the other terminal of the solenoid and it functions as it's intended now.. Next will be a fuse.. I will continue to try and find the proper components but at least I know my transmission works as it should..