Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Any Stories About Hot Rods Appearing In Your Rear Mirror?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by LOU WELLS, Jan 18, 2020.

1. About 1958, I'm cruising down Western ave. in L.A. in my '40 coupe. This guy in a '47 sedan wants to race so we both punch it and away we go. Didn't see him beside me so looked in my rear view mirror just in time to see his car on its nose with the rear end flying across the road. He also hit a car in the opposite lane. Otherwise, I'm usually the guy in someone's rear view.

2. [​IMG]
    Coming home from Louisville a couple years back

Jet96, dana barlow, Deuces and 3 others like this.
  3. 6sally6

6sally6

No photo (but my pal has a couple-a good 'uns!
    I HAVE seen several cars pull up beside me (or just ahead) and sneak their windows down just slightly (and look sideways) to here my snotty idling SBF bubbling at a traffic light!
    Who knows....maybe if they lowered their window down further their eyes might start watering while we waited in traffic !?!
    Jus say'in;)
    6sally6

woodsnwater and LOU WELLS like this.
  4. fastcar1953

fastcar1953

Never the rear view. I don't drive that slow . I have showed up in plenty others rear view though. IMG_2284.JPG

Jet96, wicarnut and LOU WELLS like this.
  5. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-4-12_4-24-1.png

Hello,

You see the nicest old hot rods in your own rear view mirror. Back when we were involved in shooting feature hot rods and custom motorcycles for various magazines, I thought that would be a cool way to showcase the subject, too. Despite the fact that I was driving, I took the 35mm Pentax film camera with a standard 50mm 1.4 lens on infinity focus.

I held it up inside of the car and just did a point and shoot. It took several tries, but a few days later when I developed the 35mm film, I found another outlet for photos in stories of the hot rods and custom motorcycles.

Hot rods following us to a photo shoot location was always exciting. But to see a custom motorcycle turn a corner and stay upright was really something. Some of the magazines thought it was a clever way to expand the 35mm photo array. But, at the time, the editors wanted clear shots of the hot rod or custom motorcycle and were not interested in showcasing a different look to the artistic photos.

Jnaki

These days, a small but powerful digital camera is still point and shoot with some variations in long range photos. It just allows a better, larger screen as to show what is in the actual photo. Phone photos are for some people, but the actual digital camera is still old school and the way to get quality photos moving or parked in front.

These days, when people are worried about others showing interest in their old hot rods and trucks, one had to be able to take a good photo with clarity and continue moving down the street. With digital cameras, it is still possible to take a great photo in the rear view mirror.

The small digital camera shooting from a moving car is still a good way to capture a cool car on the road. But, one has to make adjustments for a shout or two of “watch out for traffic…as well as other choice words” coming from the other seat inside of our car.

LOU WELLS and Ron Funkhouser like this.
  6. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-5-26_4-30-6.png

Hello,

I was looking for a specific store that refurbishing patio furniture was their main job. It was in the central OC neighborhood surrounded by a ton of industrial buildings. I should have looked up the location, but who hasn’t asked themselves, what map? Also, who asks for directions, when the location is known, or was known, a while back.

Since I have been there on a couple of earlier road trips years ago, I thought I could remember the spot by the good old memory banks. Being old school, I normally look up the address on my laptop at home. Then set off with the brain functioning without any distractions. Having grown up in OC most of my life, the roads are like old home week during those searching drives.

Then once drilled into my brain, and knowing the location of several stores/warehouses in the general industrial area, I set off looking for the familiar spots. The first one was a centrally located a giant, auto dealership location just off of the heavy traffic 55 Freeway. Now, I knew I was getting close. A few streets later, I found the warehouse repair facility. I purchased my parts, got some new information on other patio furniture stuff and set off on side streets to bypass the traffic on the nearby freeway.

I knew of some other industrial areas, the camping stores and old antique stores in the general location. But, when I was backing up in a camping store lot, I saw this oddball car in my rear view mirror.

Jnaki

upload_2021-5-26_4-31-44.png
    It was an odd looking Studebaker Sedan with plenty of history.

You meet the nicest surprises on industrial area drives, making your brain try to remember what and where you actually are located.

Budget36 and LOU WELLS like this.
  7. okiedokie

okiedokie
    from Ok

I looked in my rear view once and saw this yellow, fenderless 34 approaching quickly. I tell you seeing and hearing Jakes 34 pass me and then following it for awhile was a highlight for a guy whose hotrod was still in his garage in the build stage. Nailhead singing and quick change howling.

Jet96, stillrunners and LOU WELLS like this.
  8. Always love seeing old cars come up in my mirror. And, like doing the same to others like a couple days ago when I thought I saw a late model Thunderbird (early 2000’s) up ahead on the highway and ended up coming up right behind it. The guy driving it wasn’t sure what to think when I passed him in a 40-something year older Thunderbird.

524E515A-3D2D-4BE3-AD40-067DAC24807C.jpeg

9. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

yup! On the way home. Such a sleeper with the blower under the hood haha

stillrunners likes this.
  10. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Like A Free Movie And Keep Your Hands At 10 And 2.... 126971906_3945498798803139_903246921670827952_n.jpg

Jet96 and wicarnut like this.
  11. KenC

KenC

Not a real hot rod in the truest sense, but just barely fits into our cutoff date as it was made 64-67.

Was working late one night on a software installation where I worked at one time and driving home at 3 or 4am. Long straight stretch of road over 2 miles with no side roads/intersections. I was tired and only driving 65 or so when I looked in the mirror and saw headlights. Rare on that road at that hour. Then I notices the were gaining,...fast. In just a few seconds it flew by me. The brightest Purple Sunbeam Tiger I'd ever seen. It was an early one so probably a Ford 260, but must not have been stock as it was surely North of 120 when it passed. Always wanted one of those, near perfect marriage of American HP and light weight foreign sports car.

Jet96, mrspeedyt, woodsnwater and 4 others like this.
  12. Donut Dave

Donut Dave

There was a killer ‘29 sedan featured in Hot Rod years ago with “Cars appear smaller under acceleration” printed on the rear view mirror!

Jet96, LOU WELLS and guthriesmith like this.
  13. Drylake

Drylake

148917719_10158059354617894_2756970090872533642_n.jpg I think it's always exciting dragging home a dream project you've always wanted, and keep checking in the rear view mirror to make sure you're not dreaming hahaha!

14. COCONUTS

COCONUTS

On one of my few visits to New England Dragway, Epping NH. running my 57 Chevy on a "run what you bring" Wednesday night, I managed to be on the line with the Stone, Woods, and Cook Willys. Often times big name racers would show up on Wednesday night to tune and test the track. They did not do a burn out or anything just timing the starting lights. So the light hit green and I took off, about 1/2 way down the track I lookin my mirror to see the Willys still at the starting line just starting it launch. The next thing I know that Willys flew by me like I was going in reverse.

15. Just felt like I was in the movie Hot Rod when I looked in the mirror. Actually, it is a buddies Willys coupe, but it was still cool seeing him come up behind me a few minutes ago on my way home from the parts store.

10F8FE63-24ED-49B4-8220-6E6B82298090.jpeg

Tim, Jet96, Deuces and 2 others like this.
  16. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-7-7_3-56-42.png

Hello,

Sometimes, being quick is just not fast enough. As I was approaching an intersection and watching out for this big truck taking up the road ahead, I thought I saw a cool station wagon coming toward us. As I got my digital camera for one of my practiced point and shoot techniques without any focusing, the white Ford Station Wagon blasted by us.

But, I managed to point and shoot into the rear view mirror asap. We had seen it driving around in town several other times, so, we do know it is a So Cal local. No surfboards on top, but, being a coastal beach town, it seemed to have empty racks on top. The station wagon was an old 50s style Ford.

Jnaki

There are plenty of station wagons in the coastal So Cal area. It is expected as it covers all forms of family transportation from grocery to soccer games. The smaller station wagons serve a different purpose, while not driving those huge monster, road hogging SUV vehicles and looking like Drug Dealers or FBI Agents. YRMV

dana barlow and LOU WELLS like this.
  17. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-8-8_5-38-36.png

Hello,

My wife and I usually have some errands to get finished in our community. Bank deposits, gas stations and of course mailing packages is a common occurrence during the pandemic. Each time we venture out with masks in place, we are always on the lookout for hot rods, trucks and unusual builds. Currently, we have our destinations and then once finished, take a short drive around town to check out the beaches for some calming effects.

Once the beach/coastal lifestyle is engrained in anyone, it is hard to let go. We have lived on the beach/coastline for all of our together lives, going back to 1966. So, it is easy to see the blue ocean/white sands combination and with a sunny day in So Cal, make a complete picture. It allows us to feel better about the horrendous pandemic and variants gone wild.

The Red Dodge Pickup had been seen driving around the beach area before. The times we have seen it, the people are smiling and happy, presumably about being able to drive around in a pristine Red Dodge Pick Up Truck as their daily driver. (or at least a cool truck to do some errands during the pandemic episodes in every community) From our sightlines and real living color, it looked well-built and the red paint with chrome rim style just looked like 1960.

Jnaki

This was a fast point and shoot in between traffic and different lanes. My digital camera was not ready and by the time we saw them coming up in the outside lane, it was an instant braking to slow down for cars in our lane. I could not turn around in my seat, so it was an instant point/shoot at the outside mirror and hoped it was set on infinity for focus.

By the time we turned, the Red Dodge Pickup drove past us in the intersection. The cool sighting was a quick response and once again, will have to be another time when we venture out on our errands.

“And I'll tell you all about it when I see you again…” Charlie Puth

18. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-8-25_3-56-8.png
    Hello,

On one sunny day, my wife and I were on our way for a short coastal drive to get some "out of the house activities" to change up the daily locked in place situation. Our backyard and sideyard had just been given the once over and it won't be for another month or so, to do the front yard as our bi-monthly maintenance activities. So, off we went, to go North from our location.

We had seen several Model A and 1932 roadsters cruising around our coastal area for the last several months. But, surprise, surprise, I just happen to glance back in my rear view mirror and saw a nice red 32 Ford roadster in the next lane over, several cars behind. The traffic was flowing toward the freeway and there was no way to slow down to take better photos or perhaps a movie.

As we approached our turn off, the roadster rolled up and the look on the driver’s face said it all. “Happy to be on the road, but happier to be driving an open air roadster…” An ear to ear grin if there ever was one described.

Jnaki

As we turned off, the red 32 roadster kept on going toward the ocean, but perhaps, he was going toward the DMV for the latest requirement. Since the pandemic, the DMV has had odd situations. First it was appointments, then long lines, just to get inside. Then it was random amount of people per day and then finally, it closed and went to online renewals only. (2020)

Recently, at the beginning of Summer (2021), the pandemic rules were relaxed, making everyone think it was ok to resume regular day to day visits/activities. Jumping the gun was more like it, as we can see now. But one thing that happened that reminded me of pre-pandemic days… no lines at the entrance to an open door at the DMV. It seems like everyone had other things to do and it was an odd sighting to NOT see anyone standing at the entry door.

So, here we are at the end of summer and are now being hit with another round of variants and cases. So, the California DMV has now gone back to online for the tests, renewals and registrations. YRMV Stay safe…

But, that Northward coastal drive was awesome, with a sunny day always putting a smile on our faces. The ocean always does its part, too. When the big waves come rolling in during the Summer months, it is awe-inspiring. It is, for us, a good way to get back to normal without bothering anyone.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2021
    dana barlow and LOU WELLS like this.
  19. LOU WELLS

LOU WELLS
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from IDAHO

Thanks Jnaki 0433c6_36c7ca59f11946c0993d856daadca5b2_jpg_srz_368_251_75_22_0_50_1_20_0.jpg And Your Stories Are Always Appreciated...

PhilA, dana barlow and jnaki like this.
  20. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

At my age (and accrued hot rod mileage) I can recall seeing a plethora of hot rods in my rear view mirror...
    Starting off side-by-side, I actually put 'em there.

21. Carlmac 369

Carlmac 369

Back in the mid '80's I had a completely stock '63 Mercury Meteor 2 dr post. My wife and I were leisurely cruising along a winding, hilly two lane road when I saw a wink of sunlight off of chrome in the mirror.

Fast approaching was an early '50's Oldsmobile. As it got closer I slowed slightly and put on my right turn signal and eased slightly onto the shoulder to let it pass. Pass it did and in a hurry with a deep, powerful exhaust note.

I pulled back into the lane and picked up speed hoping to keep it in sight, maybe get a better look if he pulled in somewhere for gas or grub maybe. No such luck though.

I can still see it coming up and leaving us behind like it was yesterday. Dark green with a white top. Beautiful car.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  22. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I was once the guy in the mirror. Several years ago my wife and I were on our way to the Nat's in Louisville, in our Deuce roadster. We came up upon a group of about eight cars and we said "let's cruise with these guy's for a while". We then realized that they were doing only about 60 MPH. After about five minutes we said enough of this and passed the group at about 75. My wife asked why they were going so slow and I said to her "I bet the lead car has 4.56 gears". As we passed we could hear the high RPM's. For the life of me I can't understand why people build car's that are meant to cruise with 4.11 or 4.56 gears. My Deuce roadster has an 8" Ford rear with 2.89 gears and we do 75 MPH all day and the RPM'S don't exceed 2400.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  23. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-8-27_4-40-9.png

Hello,

I was on my way to a small shop to get a needed part for a fence repair. When I saw this red Ford truck sitting by the side of the road. It was in a semi commercial area that has a lot of traffic, due to the abundance of restaurants and businesses along this highway. It also helps them as a major I-5 freeway off ramp heads right for the establishments.

So, it is a popular big truck stop and down the road, the world’s busiest In and Out burger joint. This one was the first one in the Southern Orange County area and has always been a full two lane entrance and line up throughout the day. In the morning, it was only a one lane entry. But, the trucks were all over the parking areas and in the middle of the highway turn lanes.

Jnaki

As I turned on the busy street, I knew I had to turn around to head for the small repair parts shop. But, I saw the red truck and instantly took a photo out of the window. But, as I turned around, the only photo I could take was one in the inside rearview mirror. The traffic was relentless and I had no time to take a leisurely rear truck shot.
    upload_2021-8-27_4-42-9.png
    Sometimes, it is point and shoot with the digital camera as fast as you can, while watching the nearby traffic. As we all know, wherever there is an In and Out drive-in, traffic will be horrendous at most times of the day or night. City planners have to see ahead in the future to see if any traffic patterns will impede future travelers. this location is relatively away from homes and seemed like it was out in the country. Time changes and waits for no one.

LOU WELLS and dana barlow like this.
  24. Modelafish

Modelafish

Remember this poster ? I had that vision one time in my mirror. Three of us were out with our hot rods. I had just made a left turn in my Model A and was accelerating, with another guy in a hemi powered roadster behind me, and the last guy in a 34 Plymouth sedan with sbc. The guy in the Plymouth had manually shifted to low in an automatic as he came around the corner and accelerated. When he went to upshift, he went too far and hit reverse. When I glanced in my mirror, his car was literally straight up and down. It tumbled and rolled a couple times and ended upside down.... Halfway into a Cemetery ! He took that as a sign of literally "one foot in the grave", and gave up hot rodding for many years.

Attached Files:

RDR and LOU WELLS like this.
  25. lemondana

lemondana
    from Lincoln NE

Sorry-no pictures, but when I'm driving the 71 Polara in my avatar, and people come up behind me-they ALL slow down. And yes- the Mopar cop cars back in the day held their own very well. I know my Polara doesn' fit this forum, but cop cars are the best of the best. The 71 Polara is a real former Nebraska State Patrol car-2 dr hardtop.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  26. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

No photo this time but a few years ago my wife and I were driving a rental across to Charlotte from Dallas and we'd had a stop over at the Antique Archaeology shop in Nashville TN. After leaving there and while we were stuck in downtown traffic the guys from Steadfast Mfg happened to pull up beside us in their green '32 Tudor ...... only got to say hi to each other and we were both on our way again, they were heading in the opposite direction to the Roundup.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  27. mrspeedyt

mrspeedyt

i drove way over three million miles driving for cf and abf over thirty-two years. seen one heck of a lot of cool cars out on the road. just wish i thought of a good camera set up to photograph the cool shit.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  28. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-9-7_3-57-17.png

Hello,

My wife and I have similar tastes in all things car. She leaves the selection up to me, if it meets her needs and wants. Once those are included, it is just a simple matter of enough horsepower and comfort for long distance driving. We love those long road trips to see our favorite places. Starting with those long coastal road trips in 1966, it continued until the pandemic hit all of us.

But during the pandemic, we are satisfied to make the local errands and bank/post office runs with what cars we have selected. They have very low miles, as we normally do not put on many miles. The longest run that we were doing was a 29 mile round trip to our granddaughter’s house. But, the pandemic put a slow down on those miles, too.

So, we have saved up some funds since we have not gone on those long road trips bi-monthly or the really long road trips twice a year as we did before. We used to fly to Mexico for a beach resort stay and the driving was minimal. These days those places are not the best place to get stuck, so they are put on the back burner for now.

Jnaki

We now are in the market for another car, but if we do see something we like, one of our daily drivers has to go to make room in the two car garage. That is just the way we have always worked out our purchases. So, if I want to get an old car, just to visit our granddaughter and run errands, there is a budget for that purchase.

One day, my wife surprised me with a sighting that was unusual and odd for us, but she said something attracted her to the look and style of the old truck. We had seen this flatbed truck on a different area of the OC, but the traffic was always going to fast to get a good photo. Plus, parking in the general area was horrendous, so we kept telling ourselves, one day we will see it again.
    upload_2021-9-7_4-1-49.png
    It was the way it looked, simple, but racy all at the same time. She and I grew up together as 20 somethings driving around in a nice 327 powered 1940 Ford Sedan Delivery. So, she is accustomed to driving a non passenger only vehicle. But a truck with a flatbed and those ever cool Moon Discs? That was a step away from a 40 Ford sedan with a v8 motor that we also had our eyes on for a possible purchase.

We saw it in another community, but as we drove to take care of some family business, we saw this 1932 truck sitting on the side of the roadway. She took the front windshield photo and as we drove by, I took the outside rear view mirror shot. Two photos in one drive by action…

Normally, we have never liked a 32 front end, but something said “look at me” to her and when I saw how cool it looked, it became a possible choice for both of us. A 32 truck or some body style was in our future? Maybe, but probably not. She likes 1940 Fords and especially a grey convertible that has been seen all over So Cal.

LOU WELLS likes this.
  29. Jet96

Jet96
    from WY

There was this one time... 02CDC2E6-7F24-4AEC-B2B2-41A07E0EAA1A.jpeg -On our way to LSRU around Shreveport maybe...

LOU WELLS likes this.
  30. 56MercMan

56MercMan

Similar story... After cruising Grand in Escondido I was headed south on Centre City parkway at the light before it went back on the freeway. In the lane to the right pulls up a Studebaker Truck with no hood and a motor as high as the roof. Right behind me is an El camino with a similar set up. I am the only car at the red light. On a hunch I pull over to the left turn lane and wave the el Camino up next to the stude. Light turns green and they take off like crazy. Took all my 460 Ford truck had to even see a little of that run before they went into the tunnel. They were gone by the time I got out the other side of the tunnel but it was LOUD when I was in there.

LOU WELLS, '28phonebooth and Jet96 like this.