Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Tig welds on hotrod frames

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by krylon32, Sep 13, 2021.

1. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I lost my frame tig weld pictures. Could some of you guys send me up close pictures of some really nice hotrod tig welds for me to show to perspective employees. Send to [email protected] Thanks

2. Budget36

Budget36

There was a long thread “incredible welds”. Might allow you to grab relevant pics.

loudbang likes this.
  3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Employees or employers? Lol

WalkerMD likes this.
  4. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Employees, the man who has welded me for 30+ years is having some major surgery and will require at least a 12 week recovery and I have several chassis to build and finish by years end so I am looking for temporary help. None of my pictures of finished chassis show that kind of welding close up, so I need some detailed pictures of nice tig welds E-mailed to me so I can forward them to prospects.

5. Wouldn't it make more sense for them to send you pictures of what they can do?

6. I would have to say the same thing.. Let them show YOU what they can do !

oldiron 440 and Blue One like this.
  7. 31 Coupe

31 Coupe

Show them Gary Maxwell's site from "Blackboard Hotrods" in Bakersfield.

SilverJimmy and Fogger like this.
  8. Budget36

Budget36

I believe the intent is “if you can do this, come in let’s talk”.

Hnstray and -Brent- like this.
  9. As a employer , I would ask for the applicant to submit some pics of their welds , then have them come and lay down a few.
    Vic

10. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

As an Aircraft mechanic with an A&P ticket I was required to pass a verbal test, a written test, and a hands on test in order to pass all requirements.
    So I join the crowd that urges show me.

48fordnut, Roothawg and chevyfordman like this.
  11. clem

clem

12. Those pictures can come from anywhere.
    Or done by someone else just before taking a pic.

Frankie47 likes this.
  13. cfmvw

cfmvw

I remember a guy applied for a TIG position at a place I worked at. He claimed to have lots of experience, so we had him do a practical test. He put on the welding helmet, and the first thing he said was, "I can't see".

14. brading

brading

If possible as well as getting applicants to lay down a few welds I would get your guy in at the same time to assess there work.

15. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

Thanks. I got some great pictures. Yes I will have a prospect do dome passes for me on some samples I tack together, if I get any.

16. True but one would assume you don't hire someone just based on pictures. On the other hand if you actually have to show a potential welder what a good weld looks like they shouldn't be anywhere near working on something like a chassis.

VANDENPLAS, loudbang and 47chevycoupe like this.
  17. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska

I am in an area with several industrial business's and I find that what would be an acceptable weld in the industrial world wouldn't be acceptable for one of my chassis.

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Too bad it wouldn’t be feasible for you to mail them to me to weld them up for you and send them back .:D
    Larry

lowrd and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

That’s as bad as the guy returning the chain saw to the hardware store because it wouldn’t cut wood.
    When the store clerk put fuel in it and fired it up the guy said “what’s that noise “? :D

williebill, Roothawg, cfmvw and 3 others like this.
  20. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

Personally, would give ANY perspective a test on his welding skill- starting with twisting the knobs on the machine and some material, If the person can dial the machine back in and prep the material for welding you know at that point they are a welder even before they strike an arc

21. patterg2003

patterg2003

If the welder is competent they should know what a good welds look like. Blue One is a retired trades welding instructor and may give you some insight into weld tests. There are methods for doing weld coupons and testing them. If you require overhead welding then that could be a test position. Ask the prospects if they have proof of any welder training and or if they have any GTAW weld operator tickets for doing any industrial work as a start. Have the welder do some weld coupons to show they can weld the thicknesses you work with. If you want them to TIG thin sheet metal then maybe have them weld a couple strips of 18 or 20 gauge. You could give some instructions to welding the thin metal and then the prospect could give it a try after passing on the heavier samples. If you are looking for a style then show them what you would like them to try after they have demonstrated they are competent. There may be a college with weld instruction that may be able to advise on test coupons and have the equipment to test the welds. If the welder is expected to do frames and parts that lives depend on then there is a definite need to make sure the welder is a competent and not just lucky on his first try.

Blue One, loudbang and 47chevycoupe like this.
  22. Roothawg

Roothawg

Remind me to never let him close to my cars then……nothing to see here….move along.

rjgideon, fauj, joel and 3 others like this.
  23. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

See no evil, speak no evil, these aren’t the welds you are looking for :D:D
    Passing tech inspection? What you talkin about Willis ?? :D:D

24. Good luck! Hiring people that can do the work in a reasonable amount of time was tough to do years ago; can't imagine now-a-days.

Roothawg likes this.
  25. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Are TIG welds on hot rods traditional?

joel likes this.
  26. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

And I have seen a ton of beautiful welds fail non-destructive and destructive testing.

BrandonB, fauj and kidcampbell71 like this.
  27. I've seen a few "fancy" TIG welds on hot, oops street rod parts fall apart.

28. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yup, "stacked dimes" are far less impressive as an exposed edge of a failed weld.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
    fauj and VANDENPLAS like this.
  29. I can stick metal together , but I am far from a professional welder .

I totally understand this statement, we use two welder/fabricators for our structural welds that need to be done by certified people.

One guy can weld , it passes engineering inspections and works .

The other guy’s welds are like art work ! Perfect , neat and clean. Also passes all the engineering tests required .

Learning to weld is a simple process of learning and practice.

being a great welder takes natural talent as well .

ive been welding mig and stick since I started working on cars , my welds are good and strong , if I’m having a good day they come out nice and neat , most days they are just good strong welds .:D

good luck finding someone .

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    Frankie47 and X-cpe like this.
  30. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Good point, a pretty weld visually is not always the best weld for an application.

I’ve said it before that typical stack of dimes type weld that some guys find so visually appealing is a less than desirable weld from a quality standpoint.

The thing with TIG welding is that it produces a weld that has a fine pure grain structure and is very tough metallurgically.

We regularly put students test welds through the guided bend test and even poorly done TIG welds rarely failed completely ending up in two pieces.

The bottom line is that a skilled TIG welder is one who knows how to make his welds pass the requirements of quality for the application and how to make them visually appealing too.

A lifetime of doing high quality work on high pressure piping and pressure vessels with all sorts of different alloys will tend to do that for you.

I always strived for a level of quality that I was happy with from my work and for me personally that was always way beyond what was just okay or acceptable to the inspector on any particular job.

It’s called pride in what you do..

This was the basis of what I did my best to pass on to my students.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    fauj, HemiDeuce, Roothawg and 4 others like this.