Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage Drag Week 2021

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by squirrel, Mar 30, 2021.

1. squirrel

squirrel

Jay is here with his 55 also. He's at my hotel

2. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Sounds like the effort payed off, good luck guys.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Have fun y'all !

loudbang and dirty old man like this.
  4. What time does the "fun" start today?

loudbang likes this.
  5. I'm laying in the house with momma watching it on the motortrend app. Waiting to see Jim, Joe, and Tony make a pass!

loudbang likes this.
  6. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Squirrel just made a pass low 10s I believe of 10:26 @ 120ish mph. No rewind on live feed.
    1:19 est ,

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
  7. The way the day is going there, a one and done and on the road is a bonus. Tons of oil downs and lots of down time.

8. Yeah i had to walk outside to look at a job and missed it!!

loudbang likes this.
  9. I'm hoping they get all the oil downs done today!

loudbang likes this.
  10. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

More to come ,(oil downs ) do not know why Dipper are not required, when a pass is made Specially anything faster then 12s.
    then remove for the drive, They are not that expensive.

"""Jim (squirrel) """ is getting alot of coverage and questions asked, on the live coverage ask a question.
    It seem because he drives the nova from Arizona then wherever drag week tracks are ,then drives back to Arizona ,
    No trailer. I'm assuming not too many cars do this.

Tim, Almostdone, Legends47 and 5 others like this.
  11. Wasn't that the original intent of Drag Week?!

loudbang and stillrunners like this.
  12. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

i dont think So ,
    Wants the test / competition starts Vehicle has to be driven from track to track. Most are trailed close to start of first location .

loudbang likes this.
  13. Yeah, I meant in general ;)

loudbang likes this.
  14. Mostly all of them are trailered to the track. It makes it alot easier if you break. You have to get home somehow if it cant be fixed.
    Driving to the event is alot of fun. I did it with a sealed engine a few years ago. Its a big gamble. You have to be real sure of your car to attempt it. I made the whole week and drove it home.

15. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Jay Brown put together a 64 Galaxie a few years ago for Drag Week with a 585" Cammer and was knocking down 9.50's in that tuna boat

16. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

17. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Jim is a bad ass.

-Abone

18. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

Hade a great time today made a ok pass but 1 and done. I didnt trailer the truck hope it makes it all the way. Spent alot of time talking to squirrel and joel and everyone else. Tomorrow im hoping for 2 passes. This is hard enough with 2 a navigator yet trying it by yourself adds some fun to it. 20210913_161750.jpg

Tony

19. 19Eddy30

19Eddy30
    from VA

Good luck , & to all .
    Its a Brutal test for vehicles that are more then a Average stocker with a few bolt ons ,
    All so @ times MacGyver skills needed.

loudbang and stillrunners like this.
  20. squirrel

squirrel

hi, I made it to the hotel in Norwalk. Tony was already here, as was Wayne with the white nova AWB car that's also in my class. Jay ran 9.97, Wayne ran 9.32, I ran 10.28. There are only 3 cars in A gas, so I"m in third place now.

Joel just got in, they had some trouble with a transmission seal, but Jeff says he thinks it's fixed now.

Long day today. I got stuck in staging, they didn't finish running out my lane before they went to the second run session. Oh well, that means I need to get ready more quickly in the morning.

I might see about getting some new front tires at Summit tomorrow. they're getting pretty thin, and it's hard to find old design bias plys in stock on short notice.

My car ran fine today...never looked at the plugs, but I did add a half a quart of oil. Everything else was ok. No problems on the drive either. I hope it keeps up like...but we know how it works....

mon night.jpg

21. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Thanks for the update Jim.
    Good luck tomorrow.

22. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Got up at 530, off to the track, unloaded the car, got all the gear, tools and luggage for the trip ready, put the truck and trailer into impound, got the car into the staging lanes early, everything went like clockwork. Didn't know what the car would do, left at 4500, pulled the front wheels, grabbed 2nd. Hit every shift just right, the big hemi ran beautifully down the track. 10.15@133. A new drag week best for me. Got on the road by 10:00. Then the problems started. Just getting to bed now after 1:00

Attached Files:

23. Does impound mean it is safe til you get back and done?

loudbang likes this.
  24. Crosley

Crosley
    from Aridzona

Thanks for the updates...

loudbang likes this.
  25. Greg Rogers

Greg Rogers

Went yesterday( Monday) as a spectator. What a great bunch of guys! I talked to many- some did well, some broke, all were very friendly and relaxed- what a pleasure to talk to. One guy broke his 8" Ford rear end, and even he was still happy, I hope if I were under that pressure I would be as kind to a nosey stranger as they all were. Got to meet Jim- (squirrel). What a great guy also! He's my hero to take that blown Nova across the US like that. Talked to him for probably 1/2 hour while track was being cleaned after one of many oil downs. Resized_20210913_131930 - Copy.jpeg Resized_20210913_131930.jpeg Resized_20210913_131949 - Copy.jpeg Resized_20210913_131949.jpeg

26. I hope the driver of the '85 el Camino got the medical help he needed, or kicked out of the event (2nd last run of day one)

For those unfamiliar, he toddled off down the entire length of the track at just above idle speed to the point that a track employee caught up to him on a scooter (not kidding) before the end of his 'run', in order to hopefully ascertain whether or not the person needed medical attention.

Tman, sidevalve8ba and loudbang like this.
  27. Looks like Squirrel is already converted for the road trip after turning a 10.50 something.

28. Guthrie1068

Guthrie1068

I was at 131 yesterday, and like a dumbass I didn't check here before I went. I would have loved to meet you guys in person! On a side note, I felt like a sissy for not driving my Corvair the 1.5 hours to the track after I heard about Squirrel driving the gasser from Arizona. Looks like everyone made good passes in between all the clean-up. Have a fun week fellas!!

29. Got to Norwalk today about 8:30. Watched a bunch of FAST cars. Walked the pits about 10:30. Looks like @squirrel must be on the road already.
    Good luck to all the racers.
    This event is unbelievable, like always!