Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Lincoln 430 & Holley PB9M 9510 E issues, can you help?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by mrbthebarber, Sep 11, 2021.

1. mrbthebarber

mrbthebarber

Over here in the UK I continue to have issues with my 430 ( ran fine with previous carb ) & a reconditioned original Holley "PB9M 9510 E, LIST 1850 F" carb ( purchased so I could finally utilise the original air cleaner etc ). Initially it ran ok on a test drive until I floored it & the revs wouldn't come down under about 2000RPM. Guys here suggested a vacuum leak which I feel I have now fixed. I then got it running, seemingly ok again & set it up totally as per the original workshop manual & all seemed good but not tested on the road at that point. Finally I adjusted the cold idle adjustment & went to take the car out but as soon as it was under load in reverse it would cough, splutter & stall & just wouldn't go & I am at a loss.
    Carb floats are set correct, carb is tightened down correctly, I have 6 PSI fuel pump pressure ( Holley electric ) as needed, timing is at 8 BTDC which the motor has seemed happy at for years, fuel is E5 not E10, ignition is Pertronix & all seems fine, & car ran just great on the previous carb so it surely has to be this refurbed carb?...
    Before I adjusted the cold idle adjustment screw I had an even 475 RPM as set in the manual, without the hot idle screw turned in ( 500RPM once turned in ). Now after making the cold idle adjustment I have this unusual large variation of RPM ( please see 1st video ) which baffles me & I have to admit it's only as I type this that I recall the only change I have made since the even 475RPM, was that cold idle screw, which is off of the cam once engine is warmed.
    I have also noticed a weeping of petrol from the accelerator pump ( 2nd video ) which means the damn carb has to come off yet again for me to look at that, which leaves me to wonder that if fuel is escaping, can air also be being drawn in & could that be my issue?
    Apologies if I'm missing the obvious, I'm just a barber in the UK with little knowledge of this carburettor... Any help would be appreciated.

20210911_191614.jpg 20210911_191631.jpg 2020-01-11 18.11.52-5.jpg

2. Deuces

Deuces

Wow, nice Lincoln..:)

Max Gearhead likes this.
  3. oldiron 440

oldiron 440

Check out the carb spacer/gasket and see if it's sealing, I remember someone having problems with vacuum leaks and a Holley in the Ford forum.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    Deuces and olscrounger like this.
  4. sunbeam

sunbeam

Make sure the secondarys are closing all the way.

Deuces likes this.

5. miker98038

miker98038
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I’m not much of a Holley guy, but I see a number of discussion on gasket sealing on the Ford motors on both the yblocksforever site and the Ford Barn.

Also some discussions of certain Holley carbs having an adjustment screw on the secondaries that is often not set correctly and causes either idle or transition problems. If someone here can’t address those with some knowledge I don’t have you might try those sites.

6. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Can't help with the carb but maybe @carbking can. Your Lincoln is amazing. Must be fun driving it on some of the narrow UK roads. :cool:

7. carbking

carbking

Thanks for the reference, but I feel carbking's suggestion concerning this Holley will fall on deaf ears ;)

The 1850 Holley was used on the 430 in 1959. Lincoln also used a Carter AFB number 2853s on the 430 in 1959. My only advice would be to locate the Carter, and put it on the engine.

Jon

sunbeam and Kato Kings like this.
  8. Try using a different gauge to check the fuel pressure to verify that your gauge is accurate. If it is, you might try installing a fuel pressure regulator and dropping the pressure down to maybe 4 lbs. and see how it responds.

9. mrbthebarber

mrbthebarber

This 1850 was also used on my 1958 430... according to my original workshop manual & parts list book. From your preference towards the Carter, is it safe to assume you're not a fan of this Holley 1850 ?... nor am I currently ! Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2021
    egads likes this.
  10. carbking

carbking

There is a story told (truth unknown) that MG once tested Holleys for use on their vehicles.

The result: it was decided that one pool of fluid under the engine was sufficient ;) (any good Lucas stories?)

Jon.

ClayMart likes this.
  11. If you are still following this thread, you need to use a MANIFOLD VACUUM GAUGE to check for vacuum leak(s). 2nd on the secondary's adjustment.

Make sure the linkage(s) is not hanging and the throttle butterfly's are not hanging on the base gasket.

What source are you using for the CARB SPECS, a LINC SERVICE MANUAL or CARB KIT INSTRUCTIONS?

12. v8flat44

v8flat44

When I was in the 8th grade dad had a 58 Lincoln & when he stompped on it , it stuck wide open ..... YIKES !!! Don't remember what the fix was .....