Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 34 Ford front tires

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by vet57air, Sep 11, 2021.

1. I have had this 34 for sometime now in different configurations. Has been repainted once in its life (1990). I am presently running 16" 500 dirt track front tires. They don't handle the best and I would like something a little shorter (less diameter). Doesn't seem to be many tire options in the small diameters. Thoughts on a tire replacement?
    IMG_20170813_101221_256.jpg

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

With all the gingerbread on that car, its style doesn't seem to call for the competition wheels and tires. If you want radials there are a few new ones that mimic bias plys. If you want bias plys, I'd suggest some Firestones in a 4.50 x 16 size. I'd guess either would work with the current wheels, but maybe something a little more fitting the resto-rod style of the car? Or maybe just remove the dog and cowl lights?

porknbeaner likes this.
  3. When you say "dirt track" front times are we talking rib rubber? Like tractor front tires?

Sorry when I think dirt track tires I usually think short and fat.

@alchemy hit it well enough. I think that if radio-tires were the option I would be looking at 195x16 to 205x16. But for bias-plys 4.50x16 sound about perfect to me.

4. Less sidewall? I don't think so.
    Try Diamondback Auburn Deluxe 5.50/16 (it's a radial)
    [​IMG]

Packrat likes this.

5. twenty8

twenty8

First thing I thought when I saw the pic was it needs more diameter on the front.
    Ain't perceptions a funny thing..........:confused:

Packrat likes this.
  6. -Brent-

-Brent-

16x4.50 Coker/Firestone is an option.

Model A Coupe Rake.jpg

Nailhead A-V8, coupe33 and Tman like this.
  7. Thanks for your replys. I guess we all have our preferences. I like my car the way it is, "gingerbread" and all. I just want vintage looking tires to replace the ribbed tractor fronts. The fronts I have are listed at 25.85" in diameter. The 450 Firestones are listed at 26.2". I like the ride height I have (lower is always better Lol) but when I go around a corner sometimes I get a little rub on the fender, hence part of the reason to go to a shorter tire. I have bias ply on the back and ideally I would get bias ply for the front but would go radial if that is all I can find. I have had a similiar combo before with small radials on the front big biasply on the back with no issues. Presently a 500R16 Excelsior Stahl sport radial at 25" is the shortest I have found without going to a "modern" tire, although pretty much as everything I have looked at at Coker tire, its backordered. Here is another angle.
    front.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    Nailhead A-V8 and Dooley like this.
  8. Pretty typical, ask a question and get opinions on how you should build your “gingerbread” car the same as everyone else’s:confused:

Great looking car by the way.

DenverFlash likes this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

:confused: Sorry guys, I can tell you didn't appreciate my comments. I'm kinda new at this hot rod stuff. I'll make sure to not post on your threads anymore.

10. I wouldn’t take anything personally, I just don’t understand why when someone asks a question everyone feels the need to tell them what they should do but not answer the question.

That being said I ruffle a lot of feathers so who the fuck am I to say anything.:)

11. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My 34 has these up front.
    B3AF6C3A-F795-4A55-8BC6-2263F7F90697.jpeg
    They are DB Auburn’s, 15”. They handle nice, corner nice, look nice.

12. Yes, many more options with 15"

13. Hey, see you all at Deuce days next summer!

14. ...in a padded trailer.:rolleyes:

:D:D:D

AmishMike, Bandit Billy and Tman like this.
  15. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Probably right 15" seems to have more options or FTF is another option!

16. K, you got me, what is FTF?

17. -Brent-

-Brent-

F--- The Fenders

coupe33 likes this.
  18. Not an option for me. I like fenders.

19. I wonder if the mounting surface of the wheels, or knock off hub or??? Might have enough meat to machine off 1/4" or so to suck the wheels and tires in a bit to address your slight tire rub? Then you might be able to find a similar height tire (or keep the ones you have?).

20. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yeah, It makes me feel at home back at the Phyco-Neurotic Institute for the Very, Very Nervous.
    Actually I dragged the car to the beach for the weekend to Rod Run and slept in my trailer with the car at a RV park. I propped my air mattress against the wall during the day to clear the floor.

21. You cannot imagine how many people I have unfollowed just so I don't have to see what they post. :D

B Bay Barn and -Brent- like this.
  22. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a blessing in disguise. There is nothing like a round tire...and Cokers are not even close to being a round tire!
    The ones I posted on the front of my 34 (in the padded trailer above) are these
    upload_2021-9-13_10-28-52.png

I started with the Coker American Classics and took them off and sold them. These are made from new molds not decades old molds that are no longer round. They took very little weight and ride wonderful. The Cokers made my car feel like it was going to bounce right off the freeway at 60. I have rolled these up to 100 MPH with zero concern and great comfort.

I like the so much I bought another set (Wide Whites) for my truck I am building.

23. They are pin drive knock - off. Shaving meat would make it rub worse (inside). The dirt track tires don't have a lot meat on the road, hence the poor grip. I am leaning towards the 500R16 Excelsior Stahl sport radial as it is .85 shorter. Still no foreseeable stock for several months.

24. Lots more choices with 15" (mine are 16") Who is the manufacturer?

25. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Diamond Back Auburns. Call them and talk to Bill.

26. Thx, was worth the try. Smallest Auburn deluxe in 16" is a 550 at 26.5" which is larger than what I have.

27. bandoola

bandoola

IMG_3353.jpeg Here's a picture of my 34 with 5.00 X 16 on the front. These are Coker Firestone bias ply and I have no complaints. There were no issues with ride, steering, or fender rub. I actually went to the same tire in 5.50 X 16 with the same result - no issues with ride, steering, or fender rub. In this photo, the rears are 7.00 X 16, I changed to 7.50 X 16 when I changed the fronts.
    In your post you say you want to change because of handling and rub; what do you have for front suspension? My car is a stock full-fender on the stock frame, with a dropped front axle.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Nailhead A-V8 likes this.
  28. bandoola

bandoola

Here's my car, at the tire shop with the 7.50's installed; and another picture with the 5.50's on the front. There's a lot of room inside those front fenders.
    64028347076__044DD114-3589-4B10-BB32-F00D36464E94.jpeg IMG_3395.jpeg

Nailhead A-V8, X38 and coupe33 like this.
  29. 34Larry

34Larry

VET57AIR, that's a mighty sweet ride you have there. My first '34 was identical to it, built
    from a Revell kit, back in 1962. Same color, stance, everything. As far as gingerbread, I dig it
    a lot. In fact when rebuilding real one into a high boy I purposely put the cowl lights back on it, violating some stupid code in hot-rodding about no C. L's. on high boys. (My car I'll do it My way!!)

'28phonebooth likes this.
  30. 1934_01.jpg
    Nice Roadster. With my present setup I can barely get my hand between the top of the tire and fender. So a little history. I bought the car out of Arizona as a finished hot rod that was really undriveable. I bought it because it was an uncut excellent body that has only been painted once (35 years ago now) and had a TCI chassis. Since I have replaced the floor to get it lower, new interior and dash, new 9" Ford and 31 spine axles. It had a 4" chrome drop axle which I replaced with a 5" chrome drop. Added Wilwood disks and the So-cal wheels shown. Installed a 383 stroker with FAST FI and a Tremec Magnum 6 speed. Its not perfect, but I drive this a lot, one of my favorites. Picture is of the car before present paint.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Atwater Mike and Nailhead A-V8 like this.