Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 1959 Fairlane Master Cylinder Pushrod Adjusement Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Zombiefink, Sep 12, 2021.

1. Hey guys,

So after hunting for a Master Cylinder Pushrod for my 59 Fairlane ive come up with diddly squat. I DID however find an adjustable Master Cylinder Pushrod to suit (XR XT XW XY XA XB XC XD XE) Fords.

Link to ebay below;

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4009739...aultOrganicWeb&_trksid=p2563228.c101113.m2108

So im thinking, if its adjustable.. Surely all one needs to do is to adjust the Rod to calibrate with the Master Cylinder and she'll stop when you hit the brakes right?

So on that topic, how does one do it? I've never done it before and figured the best way is to ask, right.

Im thinking attach the rod to the brake pedal and hold the brake pedal back so its pushing the brake switch, Then, Have a buddy measure the length of the rod pertruding through the firewall.
    Then, measure the depth of the master cylinder well for the rod and calibrate the pushrod to match whatever the depth of the well is, right?

Of course as always, If anyone has a better/tried and true/way to do it method im all ears since as stated this is my first crack at it.
    The Master Cylinder i bought for the Fairlane is an ACDelco 18M989.

Cheers
    Jackson

2. Rusty J

Rusty J

Try calling Mid Canada Suspension @ 204-475-3399. Norm is like a walking textbook of old cars and just may have NOS brake parts for your car. Yes I know it's in Canada but it just may be worth your time. I don't have his email right now but I'm sure he'll be useful for you.

Zombiefink likes this.
  3. Cheers mate, Sounds like a guy to ask about! Price on postage for the arms alone is a fair whack to Australia though!

4. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I used an adjustable when I installed disc brakes on my 56. I’d bought it for a Mustang from the supplier Wilwood. I made it the same length as the original and found there was too much slack at the peddle. I laid under the dash and adjusted it so the pedal had about 1/4” movement at the pedal and locked the nut on the threaded shaft. .

5. Problem is i dont have an Original.
    But from what it sounds like just adjust it so theres about 6mm slack in the pedal before the action happens?

6. jimmy six

jimmy six
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yep. Back a long time ago in a race car with a hand brake and stock MC I made a long rod from either 5/16” or 3/8” rod. I rounded the one end on a bench grinder polished it and threaded the other for a clevis or rod end bearing. Remember the lock nut.
    If a 65 Mustang adjustable will work on a 56 I’m sure it will work for a 59.

7. Check Your brake pedal. Some of the have an eccentric nut/bolt where the pushrod bolts to the pivot. You get a little bit of adjustment through that. But by the sounds of it you might not have that either. Was you car Power brakes or reg originally? The brake pedals are different.
    Also the master is 1-1/8 on a power system. If you do a dual master there is a particular one to use. I’m sure others will chime in.
    Just make sure your system is fully bled and the master is fully bled before the adjustment of the new pushrod. So it’s not too short.