Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Whats it worth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bedwards, Sep 11, 2021.

1. bedwards

bedwards

Thinking about going tomorrow and looking at this car. I have never owned a traditional rod so I'm hoping you guys with experience will give me an idea what its worth.
    It's an all metal car, 29 body with a 63 Impala running gear. Supposedly it was built in 1964 from a wrecked 63 Impala donor.
    It has a 283 with the 2 speed auto transmission. Standard brakes no power disks on front drums on rear, 2 BBl carb, single exhaust, single axle front torsion bars on rear. Standard points ignition. No heat, no air no side windows no wipers. Car was driven 2 weeks ago to a cruise in and is available for a test drive.
    That's all the info I have.
    Could you give me an idea what range a car like this is worth? I have included all the pics I have.

much thanks

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    Deuces likes this.
  2. evintho

evintho

OK....I'll take a stab. All steel? on '32 rails, louvered deck lid. What's with the M/C mounting? Top doesn't look right and rear wheels don't seem centered (could be photo angle). Looks semi-finished. Got the '70s-'80s look. Clear title? Motor and trans rebuilt or do they have a couple hundred thousand on them? Workmanship seems OK. With only 5 pics to judge it by................Alabama $10K to $12K, California $20K to $25K. Of course.....I could be way off!

3. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Vega tail lights! 71-73 at that. Don't see those anymore, for good reason. Ugly!
    It's a nice looking car, just needs a few changes here and there. Probably priced in the mid $20's.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  4. bedwards

bedwards

thanks, keep um coming, I didn't catch any of that in the pics

5. It’s had some typical Bama “upgrades” after 64
    the steering wheel and column, electric fan, taillights, exhaust manifolds, blinkers, front discs and tunes
    The rear looks off and way too wide.
    Worth only depends on if you dig it and what is gonna cost to make any changes you might do
    That engine has been painted orange while still in the car.
    Orange overspray on the steering

is the deck lid molded into the body?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2021
    VANDENPLAS and stillrunners like this.
  6. bedwards

bedwards

I should have posted, the guy says he's firm at 15000 also

7. There’s some nice A roadsters here in the classifieds.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. $15,000 I believe would be stretchy in Cali. It has some right/ok stuff - but let's agree -there will be things we'd change - not sure how much that will bring it down for you - the fact the proportions are off might bring it down some more. I'd pass at $9000.....just not my kind of build - sorry - and did someone mention the proportions are off ?

lurker mick likes this.
  9. Don't buy it. Too many wacky things just from these few photos, and the further you dig into it the more you will find. I gather you want a car to drive, not a parts car or start from scratch rebuild?

kidcampbell71 and The37Kid like this.
  10. The37Kid

The37Kid

Rear wheel wells have something way off, same with the top. When you first notice things that are off there will be more to follow. If I had $15,000 to spend, it wouldn't be in that driveway. Bob

anthony myrick and kidcampbell71 like this.
  11. bedwards

bedwards

Ok, I have cooled my desire. You guys helped me a lot. It's got a lot of things I would change if I had it.

12. little red 50

little red 50

At $15000.00 and a shotgun in the seat I think he's looking to rob someone. One way or the other.

13. spudshaft

spudshaft

I think what’s makes the proportions off, or a symptom of it, is that the panel above the deck lid looks really wide ( ?).

14. Proportions of the car is just all wrong.. The Impala may have been wrecked in 64 and then sat till the 80's to build that car, But it sure the hell wasnt built in the 60's

15. bedwards

bedwards

I guess I'll keep looking. thanks again for all your input!

16. BamaMav

BamaMav
    from Berry, AL

Before jumping to conclusions, I'd want to see a good side profile pic. It may just be the camera angles make it look off. I don't think $15,000 is out of line for our area, you look at ads for other cars and they're usually much higher. I don't think it would take a lot to freshen it up, a plus is you could drive it as is while you are doing it.

17. I would pass on that car. Deck lid is solid, doesn't open. wheelwells are smooth, no factory body lines in them. Steering column needs to go. I'd rather have glass car than that car.

18. IMHO, the car is dated and needs to be brought up to today's standards ,for 15 grand I would keep looking.

Like the old song goes,"Just walk away Renee" HRP

19. I see the consensus is to walk away. But...lets look again....

Deuce chassis that needs a new narrower rear axle that could be centered if need be when replaced. A good running 283 (maybe), that would benefit from another couple carbs or a single 4 barrel. A steel roadster body, that if the filler is not too thick, would benefit from cutting the decklid open, adding stock type wheel wells, tail light replacement and chopping the windshield frame a couple inches to bring the top into proportion. Mechanical updates (replace steering column/steering wheel, master cylinder relocation, and no doubt wiring and a hundred other things).

If I were looking, I would go see it to judge the body and paperwork first hand. If the body and paperwork checked out, I would have $12k in one pocket and $1k in another pocket for the negotiation...I think at up to $13k...and adding another $5-8k for work as you drive updates...you would have a pretty cool A roadster on a deuce chassis for around $20k...not too bad in my opinion.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
    bedwards, VANDENPLAS and nochop like this.
  20. TCTND

TCTND

That's a kit, not a car. If you took it apart, threw away and replaced a quarter of it, and reassembled it properly, it could be a nice car.

21. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I think what is throwing the proportions out of wack is the fact that the wheel wells are way too big for a '29 Model A. Obviously someone got "creative", while probably doing some rust repair in the quarter panel area. Model A's are notorious for rust along the subframe and wheel wells. The car needs a narrowed rear axle, larger rear tires, interior work, grill insert and some suspension work to lower it a few inches. I would offer him $7500 and let him know all the things you need to do to make it presentable, he might take it. If that's a Bop Top it's a $2500 item, at one time Sid Chavers was making them for '28-'29s, although the proportions were never right on a stock height car.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  22. I wont critique the car (enough already have)..but I will the price.
    $15K is too high!

23. I'm not convinced the wheel wells have been made larger...they may have been made deeper? (hard to tell), and they have certainly been smoothed. Picture below is of my roadster at the closest angle that I have to the subject car (and my tires are centered in the rear wheel well).

[​IMG] 20160706_131605_resized.jpg

fauj and bedwards like this.
  24. Throw away the top, ditch the CD player, trash the steering wheel and taillights, and enjoy the hell out of it. Wonder if the rear end came out of the impala also? Can't really tell for sure in those pictures, but it looks a little wide

VANDENPLAS and little red 50 like this.
  25. A8574A77-18EC-4646-8FB8-7CD2AEC12E17.jpeg
    listed for 16k in the classifieds
    Would be a cheaper route.
    If a trad style car was the goal.
    If ya want a street rod, offer the orange car guy $7500

26. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

I guess the only way to tell if the wheel wells have been butchered is to take a ruler and measure them against a stock Model A. I just noticed the front shock location and it's been a long time since I saw a street rod with a single exhaust.

VANDENPLAS likes this.
  27. Everything from the doors back looks wacky.

arkiehotrods likes this.
  28. Or go for a funky 60s vibe.
    Fix the stance and rear end width
    Leave the deck lid as is. Add some candy paint.
    Build a funky grill. Add some nauga skins and a flake steering wheel and cooler column
    Cut the windshield frame.
    D61C5442-47E2-4568-B706-CF60854D8DCC.jpeg
    or just fix the stance and rear width
    DA4DB2F8-D9B8-4D4F-B12A-75A51D9BA728.jpeg
    add some chrome pieces, multiple fuel squirt devices,cut and lay back the windshield.
    Surfboard and accompanying model are optional

fauj and VANDENPLAS like this.
  29. If you do buy it, your dream car will pop up.