Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Tested: How good (or bad) are Woodlites?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Hemi Joel, Sep 7, 2021.

1. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

The question of how usable are the aircraft styled Woodlites comes up every now and then. So I decided to test them and do a video of it so everybody can judge for themselves. I bought this car that has wood lights on it a couple years ago, but I have never driven it at night as of yet. Sorry, it's not a hot rod, it is stock, so it's not really hamb-friendly, but it serves well for doing a test like this. So here in living color, is the test so you can decide for yourselfs:

2. Well, I agree with you, I am also surprised!

3. squirrel

squirrel

Taking it on Drag Week, I hope?

4. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Impressive car and I too was surprised at well the lights performed. Is there a high low beam control?

Stogy, Frankie47, VANDENPLAS and 3 others like this.

5. 5window

5window

Very good video demonstration and one cool car, don't care if it's HAMB freindly. Have you been to the ACD Museum? Thanks for posting.

6. Stooge

Stooge

Well good timing, im wearing my ACD museum shirt this morning! Generally, im a fan of them, and i like seeing Woodlites on cars, and they look especially good on the big, luxe cars of the late 20s/ early 30s, but ive definitely seen them on cars where they are not doing it any favors and look out of place.
    Count me as one of the surprised people at how well they perform, but the bit about the top cut off makes alot of sense, and is sort of similar to the cut off shields used in contemporary headlight housings. Do you know if they have ever been re-silvered/ coated inside?

I think i would get pretty damn excited to see your beautiful Cord drive by at night, and the ACD cars are always ones that peak my interest regardless if they are not considered a hot rod in our sense of the word. I've had these saved on my computer from either here of the AACA forums or something, just a beautiful car! Do you ever turn the cowl light Woodlites on?

front.jpg

Stogy, bymanr, mgtstumpy and 7 others like this.
  7. 41 GMC K-18

41 GMC K-18
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That is a magnificent Cord, the body lines remind me of a Bugatti Royale ! Very cool test of the
    " Woodlites ".
    Thank you for posting.

8. cshades

cshades
    from wi

L29 cords are one of my favorite cars of all time.

9. SPEC

SPEC

Excellent vedio.

Stogy likes this.
  10. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Great video, dispels the thinking that they were only for show and not a good driving light.

Stogy likes this.
  11. drtrcrV-8

drtrcrV-8

Nobody says that a car HAS to be modified, just pre 1965, so this one certainly qualifies as "Hamb Friendly"(And GORGEOUS as well!!) Thanks for the presentation!! Well done!!

Stogy, Frankie47 and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  12. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I'm glad you guys like it! Squirrel, no drag week in this thing! Double clutching slows it down to much on the dragstrip. :) 5'er, yup been to the museum, an incredible experience that every car guy should check out.
    I'm thinking the bad rap for Woodlites could have come from experience in older cars with marginal wiring, corroded connections, etc. delivering substandard voltage to the lites.

13. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

There is a high beam and a low beam. But the switch was all corroded because it is situated right under the water pump/hose connection and apparently it has been dripped on too muchover the last 92 years. I took the switch apart and cleaned everything up good and put it back together. When I tested, the low beam terminal on the switch did not work. But I didn't want to take it apart again because there are tabs that have to be bent to disassemble it, and I didn't want them to break off from bending back and forth repeatedly. reproduction switches are available but they are very, very costly. So I just ran them on highbeam. That's good enough for my purposes.

switch 1.jpg switch 2.jpg switch3.jpg

Stogy, mgtstumpy, Tim and 2 others like this.
  14. ironrodder

ironrodder

Beautiful car.

Stogy likes this.
  15. 5window

5window

How much is a reproduction switch? Maybe we could all chip in just to keep a great car on the road?

Stogy likes this.
  16. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Are you sitting down? $950. Tooling up to make a part where you might sell five or 10 of them over the next 20 years is costly I suppose.

Not to worry though, when I have more time I am going to take another stab at getting the switch working. If I do break a tab off, I'll figure out how to weld one back on there, or some other type of approach that will get the job done. I was in a thrash in a time crunch to get the headlights working for an event that I attended where I might have had to drive at night so I couldn't risk breaking it. As it ended up it was all done before sunset.

17. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

Do you know if they have ever been re-silvered/ coated inside?

I would assume so, they look like they have been nicely restored. But that was before I owned it, so I can't be certain.
    Store, I appreciate your enthusiasm for the car very much! I took a pic of the cowl lights for you tonight. It's hard to get a great image having into the lights. The camera tends to blur it. PXL_20210908_034242316~2.jpg

Do you ever turn the cowl light Woodlites on?
    As parking lights. They can not be on simultaneously with the headlights.

Stogy, mgtstumpy, Stooge and 2 others like this.
  18. Hemi Joel

Hemi Joel
    from Minnesota

I watched the video on the computer screen for the first time today. Before, I had only watched it on the phones little screen.
    When going through the woods, I really noticed the sharp horizontal dividing line between light and dark. It was especially noticable off the the sides where the trees showed it. I bet it would look really cool in fog or mist.

Stogy and 41 GMC K-18 like this.
  19. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Cool test, and beautiful car. They’re surprisingly bright for 1920s lights.

20. j hansen

j hansen

Thanks,,,,,that was better than I thought

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    Stogy and Frankie47 like this.
  21. hfh

hfh
    from Western MA

Thank you! I enjoyed seeing how well those beautiful lights actually work.

Stogy likes this.
  22. F-head

F-head

Wow beautiful car and very interesting test
    I too am surprised by how good they worked
    Thanks for posting this

Stogy likes this.
  23. MoePower

MoePower
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Omro, WI

Cool headlight test . . . even cooler going for a "ride" in a '29 Cord!

Stogy likes this.
  24. SR100

SR100

Do they have a high beam? Absence of a high beam could make them look worse in a side-by-side comparison.

Stogy and Hemi Joel like this.
  25. MojoRacing

MojoRacing

Very surprised how bright they are! Very beautiful car, very ahead of their time as shows in these headlights!

26. J.Ukrop

J.Ukrop
    SUPER MODERATOR
    Staff Member

Very cool video. Thank you for sharing.

27. Joe H

Joe H

IMG_0028.jpg Lights came along way in 18 years, these on the 1911 Stanley Steamer are acetylene powered and made just enough light to see where the street was. The side lights, tail light, and dash light used lamp oil.

28. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

SR...you might have missed the mention of a corroded switch near the coolant pump...apparently they are locked on Hi Beam currently...

29. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for sharing that @Hemi Joel...that is impressive...I suspect it is just push or screw in bulbs one for hi and one for low or is it a dual filament?

Would they have been bulbs typical to standard headlights of the time period or heavier in filament?

I want to share a pic @Harms Way shared in the 50s period correct Hotrod Thread I believe...It is a Pretty show worthy Hotrod Sporting a set of those...quite rare in my opinion along with the E&Js but not a not done thing...

I wouldn't be surprised if select Rodders new of how well these performed back in the day and ran with them with the look also a major part of the decision...

1015.jpg

:rolleyes:...I am certainly one of a minority here liking these rarities used infrequently on Hotrods but it certainly works on the right Hotrod...

There's another that is a fave of mine also sporting Woodlites and it was a Model A Roadster Yellow in color with a heavy Chop...I'll see if I can find it...

kbskfgvbkuh.JPG

:rolleyes:...I would share the Thread on Woodlites but it is too full of vile vitriol which typically follows any mention or image of either projection lights on Hotrods...

46083189_1875549392481958_7030880138069803008_n.jpg

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum...enized-hotrods.1002926/page-116#post-13212347

:rolleyes:...One more for provenance and a really cool Period pic in my opinion for all the naysayers...E & Js & Woodlites on Hotrods in the same pic...priceless...pics or it didn't happen...

Anyways great Thread and Happy Birthday Hamber...;)

Credit to Photographers, Owners

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    41 GMC K-18, Hemi Joel and j hansen like this.