Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest A New Friend: Jack "Herr" Benefiel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nicholas Coe, Sep 9, 2021.

1. On Monday while driving home from my parents house we decided to stop off in Leslie, Arkansas. It is small town. At a local Antique shop I met Jack. I asked him about a track roadster on the corner of the street. He said the car was his. He asked me if I had ever heard of Ed Roth or Von Dutch? Of course I said yes! He said that he was also a painter in California circa 1950s -1960s. He said that they were friends of his. He wondered if anyone could find anything about him. I would love to find a photo of him! Norm Gorbowski was also a buddy. Jack said they spoke not long before Norm's death. If anyone remembers Jack please let me know. He didn't keep many souvenirs. He does still have a German helmet that he painted. (Kinda of his trademark) I'm going back to Leslie to visit again soon. Hopefully I'll have more details.

Attached Files:

2. Budget36

Budget36

3. Anyone have any group pictures with Ed Roth or Von Dutch from the 1960s? Thank you!

loudbang, alanp561 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  4. Great story! Hope you told him about The HAMB/ Jalopy Journal, you know spreading the gospel of traditional Hot Rods & Customs to Hoodlums Worldwide.:D......Don.

Hamtown Al, loudbang, Lil32 and 5 others like this.

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Jack has been a friend of mine for over 30 years. He lived in Conway and worked for a sign company before he retired. He drove a yellow '55 F-100 flatbed that showcased his talent.
    I swapped him a '40 Ford front suspension (axle, wishbone, spindles, spring) for a pinstriping lesson. After he showed me some things (preparing brush, loading brush, pulling a line, cleaning brush, etc) on an old Ford tail gate I had, I said, "Thanks for the lesson." He said, "Oh no, we're just getting started." He had me practice for hours, literally, while he watched and gave pointers. He gave me a brush and a can of 1-Shot to practice with.
    Super good guy.

Hamtown Al, loudbang, Lil32 and 13 others like this.
  6. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

arkiehotrods - great story - hope that you can help Nicholaus Coe with his quest - maybe contact Roth Family for possible help - either of you guys have a current pic of "Herr"?

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
  7. Absolutely! He couldn't believe anyone would care about old pinstripes and stories. I told him that's what we are all about!

8. ....................Right on!.. hqdefault.jpg

9. Hopefully I can make it back down soon. I'll try to get a current picture of him too. Anyone dig up any old pics?

loudbang and lothiandon1940 like this.