Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration your car-your town

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tb33anda3rd, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Merry Christmas from our little town. 20171125_173115.jpg 20171202_103835.jpg 20171125_173106.jpg 20171125_173341.jpg

OL 55, MO_JUNK, tr_rodder and 15 others like this.
  2. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2018-12-23_7-4-31.png
    Hey 1OT,
    That is a nice photo. Wow, an empty lot. You must be staying out late at the harbor ! Did you get to stand inside of that Whale Light Structure in the background? It is about 6 feet plus, tall. Last year, we stood right next to that structure, after we had a nice meal across the street at Jimmy's Famous American Tavern.

We discovered Jimmy's Famous American Tavern (JFAT) on Shelter Island/Point Loma in the San Diego Harbor in 2011. Then they opened up the one in Dana Point Harbor in 2013. That was a cool move. It is very busy, but last year, we had reservations for a window seat looking right at that whale structure. The harbor boat parade nights are pretty impressive and the whole place is lit up for the holidays.

Jnaki

"Once a legend in Laguna Beach, California, prolific restaurateur and chef David Wilhelm, Jimmy’s Famous American Tavern is his brainchild. Wilhelm previously operated French 75 and Chat Noir, before the recession made it hard to stay sustainable, so he took a few years off and retooled with the casual pub concept Jimmy's. The first location landed at Point Loma in San Diego, with a second outlet further up the coast in Dana Point."

3. Jnaki,

That was around 10:45 on a Sunday night right after Thanksgiving. I've gone twice now and walked the whole area (every year). They added a few things each year, just as nice as when the Hotels sponsored it. I'll have to try Jimmy's, also I want to get a shot from the cliffs before New Years.

4. F&J

F&J

Dec 23..and I'm still out rollin'...Here at Eagleville Dam where American Bald Eagles have returned. My home is a couple of miles downstream and one Eagle came down river to hunt squirrels and got one in the big Oak tree in my yard 2 weeks ago. :cool: LOTS of water flowing over the spillway today from rains & melt up North.
    DSCN2259.JPG

MO_JUNK, dana barlow, Hank37 and 8 others like this.
  5. ...took my 47 for a drive today,..roads are dry and above freezing, got a good heater,...
    ...that small building behind it was a smokehouse for a meat market many years ago..
    47 pickup 12-23-18 alley 007.jpg

MO_JUNK, tr_rodder, brad2v and 6 others like this.
  6. F&J

F&J

Christmas Eve..out again after dropping off a part at Post Office for a hamber... then went to the Hill for some views. It snowed all morning but did not stick.
    DSCN2270.JPG

The colors nearing dusk were pretty nice for winter. Us hill folk don't have may places to see long distance views, this place is one of the better ones in town.
    DSCN2266.JPG

Two brand new cow shelters were dropped off since I was last here...... and a new sign for visitors:
    DSCN2263.JPG DSCN2264.JPG
    ^^^^ I should have read that map before going for a ride... I went on a rough road I've been on many times, but marked here in brown as "Pedestrian Only" at the southeast part of this map...ooops...

DSCN2273.JPG DSCN2275.JPG DSCN2276.JPG DSCN2277.JPG DSCN2278.JPG
    ^^^ coming off that "road" down near the Diary Bar which was closed...many students are gone for winter break.

Well, somebody turned me in...DOH ...two State Cruisers... :oops::rolleyes:...i'm surprised that I did not know either of them...as many have been to "visit" me at my home in the past..
    DSCN2284.JPG

7. 65pacecar

65pacecar
    from KY, AZ

Christmas Day in My Dads 65 Plymouth Sport Fury in the St Charles Mo area. Went for a nice father and son Coffee run for Christmas morning. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

brad2v, TFoch, loudbang and 5 others like this.
  8. LBCD

LBCD

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
  9. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

F1F40BAE-4CF8-4071-ADEA-85D3B0C23F87.jpeg My 47 in town. Gonzales, Louisiana

10. F&J

F&J

I had not been out for quite a few days...wicked bad weather, busy with chores, etc. I went out just to get some groceries, but it took almost three hours..lol.
    I was at the Dam again to see how high the water was from insane rains & snow melt...One day it was below 0F all day, and then went to near 60 with downpours after snow, and icing first. I have never seen it this high in 11 years of living nearby.
    DSCN2331.JPG
    ^^ the wall of water going over the top had to be near 2 feet tall, and the spillway below is 6 feet higher. The two guys next to me go there for lunch every work day. I had not been there at lunchtime for a month or more, and they like to mess with people they know...so one said "where you been?...we wondered if the cops came and got you again".

Pic below is from Dec 23, when the water was pretty high from northern snow melts...look and you can see a set of boulders across the river below the spillway that are now completely covered in the first pic.
    DSCN2258.JPG

The store is near the campus farm area, so I went there too. Holy crap...the freaking winds we recently had did a number on one of the new stables that were dropped off late December. I took pics and posted them here on this thread on Christmas eve afternoon.. The Farm workers never moved these to whatever field they were going to go, and the doorways were faced to catch that wind coming up the hill.

DSCN2347.JPG
    DSCN2348.JPG

then I toured the horse areas.. I'm glad I stayed in the road center as it was super soft mud at the sides..
    DSCN2341.JPG DSCN2343.JPG
    ^^ that biggest horse got spooked bad when I fired the Olds back up..ooops..

below, next barn over from the huge indoor riding arena, I spotted these shaggy ones...never saw these before and have no idea what type of horse they are.

DSCN2336.JPG
    DSCN2338.JPG
    ^^ they were following me hoping it was feeding time? You are not allowed to feed or even touch any of the animals here. Anyways, that red sedan went by slowly past here twice and stopped there this time. I thought the woman was just going to see the horses, but she said Hi then asked if she could take a pic of the hotrod. I never finished my normal sentence of :"Most people have their friend to take a pic of the car with you posing with it..." She yelled to her female friend in the car, but then quickly handed me her phone and started posing just like those old car sales photo magazine ads from the 60s LOL.. She was really good at it. I took a LOT of pics, then she was taking pics of the engine and front, so I opened the door and said "you can take a pic of the interior"...Nope..she shoves me her phone again and stated "I'm getting in"...she did some cool poses in there...

2019 could top 2018...I'ma gonna start a new phrase in spring after these typical photo sessions..."next time you see the car here, maybe we'll go for a ride around the farm". (i'm sure a few will say "how about now?"):eek:
    DSCN2339.JPG
    ^^ this is the only pic I took with my camera as I don't like to take face pics for the web. The student on the far right watched the entire photo op, and I guessed she would come over to visit too, but I did not know that is the bus stop (that she was waiting for). The huge indoor arena is shown here. Open, free to tourists during formal Equestrian riding competitions. I went last February with the 32 when there were 5 major schools competing, including two top Ivy League college teams. It was"Mud" parking in their lot last year too.

11. LBCD

LBCD

What used to be the McDonell Douglas jet test site...Long Beach Airport runway is in the backround. [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

tr_rodder, dana barlow, Lil32 and 9 others like this.
  12. cheepsk8

cheepsk8
    from west ky

At a cruise in last summer in front of the Hall Hotel in Mayfield Ky. Built in 1930, it is , along with only 1/2 of one street on the court square, all that's left of historic Mayfield. They have demolished the rest of town in the name of "progress". I try to park on that side so I don't have to look at the new banks and drug stores that flank the court house. 0616181712.jpg

13. jnaki

jnaki

upload_2021-9-9_4-16-18.png

Hello,

My wife and I lived in Laguna Beach, CA in our 20s. It was a completely different atmosphere from everywhere else. Some had the laid back, coastal vibe working and others were still the uppity, standard, “beach art scene” types that looked at everyone else as if they did not belong. Boy, were they wrong.

During this time, Laguna Beach was seen as a haven for a different part of society. It only took a few incidents to get the whole scene back to normal living with a few hiccups along the way. The land in the back area of town and some homes were actually affordable, whereas, there were still the beachfront homes that were just out of the picture for 90 percent of the people wanting to live here.

upload_2021-9-9_4-18-0.png
    The parking lot was popular because the white building with blue trim was once a Kentucky Colonel Fried Chicken. The ocean is just over the hill. The PCH Coast Highway is very narrow here and it causes plenty of parking/driving problems. The stop light helps, but not much. Be prepared to slow to a crawl and perhaps come to a complete halt.

When we drove our Flathead powered sedan delivery, during the high school era, down this steep portion of Coast Highway, it was a no-look drive by type of cruise. The favorite surf spots were just a few blocks South. This corner was not a Taco Bell and that did not happen until well beyond our high school days. But, it was a major roadway to surf spots farther south in the OC. (Salt Creek, Dana Point, and North Camp Pendleton.)
    upload_2021-9-9_4-19-13.png

Then as 20 somethings, a stop light was put in and that increased the neighborhood awareness. Which included a new restaurant called Taco Bell. Nowadays, it is deemed the oldest Taco Bell in the OC. Well, all good things must come to an end.

Orange County’s oldest Taco Bell restaurant, which donned the chain’s original design, closed on Tuesday, the company confirmed. We can confirm that the restaurant at 699 S Pacific Coast Highway in Laguna Beach is closing today, September 7th. Unfortunately, lease renewal was not an option and we’re sad to see it close.”

“The location was opened in 1967 and has been the oldest operating Taco Bell in Orange County.

The location’s owner, Steve Smith, shared a post of the closure with a caption saying, “The end of an era Taco Bell Laguna Beach closing after 54 years.”

"It's certainly not high volume because there is no drive-through and limited parking,"

Taco Bell founder Glen Bell, Bell opened the first Taco Bell in Downey in 1962,

Our Red327 powered 40 Ford Sedan Delivery was a regular there and the local hot rods made it a place to drop by and have a snack or two. Some weekends, a small group or two could be seen in the parking lot.
    upload_2021-9-9_4-20-49.png

Jnaki

Note:
    upload_2021-9-9_4-21-18.png
    The second oldest Taco Bell built in 1962 was near our Westside Long Beach house. (L.A. County) The main thing we liked about the place was that our dad liked the crunchy tacos. A new way to eat tacos, and it was minutes away. It still stands there today. The parking lot was filled with our Chevy sedans and several old hot rods, including the funky Flathead sedan delivery from our local high school.
    upload_2021-9-9_4-22-16.png
    The only competition for crunchy tacos was a mom and pop place just around the corner from our high school. This original Taco Bell had a nicer parking lot and a new way to look at “Mexican” food.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  14. Kurt Ljungkvist

Kurt Ljungkvist

15. j hansen

j hansen

A herringbus according to the Swedish DMW:D

Stogy, Baumi and loudbang like this.
  16. Kurt Ljungkvist

Kurt Ljungkvist

That's what I call it, and when they did the chassis inpection and it was assigned a chassi number he said that I could not use "Ford Thames" as that name belonged to Ford. So I use to call it Sillbuss (herring bus in english) and that became the registered name of it..

Stogy, Baumi, Hank37 and 2 others like this.
  17. !st Car.jpg
    My '55 T-Bird. First in line at the annual Firemans Car Show on the 4th of July.
    56 Gasser.jpg
    Only other HAMB friendly car there was this Gasser '56. A good friend of mine and the former owner of the local Tire Shop, now closed. He built it from a "rust bucket" according to his wife.

18. Mumbles

Mumbles
    from PNW

19. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

3A00F56E-0012-487A-9E5F-47607AD5081C.jpeg Outside Leesburg Virginia B9928878-D418-42DE-983B-C4A07BA026B8.jpeg

MO_JUNK, tr_rodder, 40two and 12 others like this.
  20. Bob Lowry

Bob Lowry

My '64 Belair, 425 hp 409", 4 speed in front of the feed store by the railroad tracks in Castle Rock, CO.

409.jpg.jpg

21. In front of my shop.

79B0887E-0E3E-419B-B709-613C88B2CCE2.jpeg

22. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

eric and I.JPG
    My son and I waiting for a cruise to start. My truck and the school I attended 50 years ago.

23. Lil32

Lil32

in a scrap yard
    n1965.jpg
    at an Airforce Museum
    ETba12_1971_p.jpg
    nite cruise at our beach town
    lil32_0002.jpg

24. Stogy

Stogy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

0_0_20170715_103930.jpg

[​IMG]

Quoted from Historical reference Regarding Robertson in Milton, Ontario, Ca

" Robertson came home to Milton and started talking with Americans. He tried twice. Negotiations fell apart early with a Buffalo screw company because he refused to give up control. Then Henry Ford realized his Windsor, Ont., plant was saving roughly $2.60 per Model-T using Robertson square-drives. Robertson was called down to Detroit for meetings. Both entrepreneurs, neither would agree to do business without complete control of their product. Robertson went home empty-handed. Ford and other car manufacturers stuck with the slot screw and eventually used a screw with a star-shaped impression. It was an inferior design, but its patent holder, Henry F. Phillips, wasn't sticky about ownership. "

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/youve-got-to-use-a-robertson/article1024050/

I've always been under the impression Model A's in Canada had Robertson Screws over Philips Star Pattern but it may have been short-lived...maybe early years only, anyone know?

My Sport Coupe was American born so just a salute to old friends...

Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
  25. Anderson

Anderson

Scenes from Ft Worth

A4A91BE2-1052-4261-97BD-FA87FFF94E49.jpeg 7072D861-AA1F-4102-A82B-218E75FEAB78.jpeg 5A6AF17D-AEA2-434D-9360-009288DEBE7B.jpeg 7F14E2DF-8EA6-43A9-9FDF-14BCBF1D449F.jpeg
    79C03F10-571F-4521-B54A-5B414A29EB9E.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
  26. petew

petew
    from Mebane, NC

27. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

My town on my street 8C00D4EC-CC3E-47BE-8656-56951325F190.jpeg

28. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

5A26D7FF-5F5B-4EB9-8054-BD0F52A279C4.jpeg