Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 31 Model A sedan Front suspension

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by kart74, Sep 8, 2021.

1. clem

clem

Just to add to comments above, re the tyres:
    I see they are designed for classic cars from the muscle car era, which were probably heavier than a model A.
    Are they suitable for a lighter car such as yours, than what they are designed for ?
    They look like a heavy rugged tyre, possibly with stiffer sidewalls than you may want.
    Others will comment hopefully ?

2. kart74

kart74

I just checked and i have 1.75" on the passenger and 2" on the driver between the top of the leaf and the frame rail. There is no evidence of it hitting the frame ever. Will look at shocks next. Thanks everyone for the help

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. kart74

kart74

Well the shocks are the issue. When i take them off it is nice and springy. Can get it to move serveral inches by lumping on it. The shocks dont seem overly stiff when i work them by hand, but apparently they are. I put them back on loosely to make sure they weren't binding. Back to barely being able to move them. Any one have softer shocks to recommend? thanks!

4. Just for curiosity sake, what size tire do you have on the front?

5. kart74

kart74

6. That's a lot of tire for the front of a Model A. Lot's of unsprung weight with that much tire.

Tman likes this.
  7. lostone

lostone
    from kansas

I got a pair of empi oil filled shocks for the front of my A. They are not gas charged and they are a short shock too.

They are for lowered vw's. Although I haven't driven the car yet I really like the way they feel and react. I can bounce the front end nice and easy and I'd recommend you try a set.

They are cheap too if you shop around. I bought 4 for all 4 corners of my A and I think I paid 34 a piece.

8. Shorter shock or taller shock mount on the frame would likely cure the problem. It is hard to find a really short shock, and you really need some travel. The better solution is to find a taller upper shock mount.

clem likes this.
  9. Really a fenderless car shouldn't have anything bigger than a 5.5 or a 185 on the front

10. kart74

kart74

I talked to Pete & Jakes about the shock they offer. It is the correct length for 11"ride height, and is just oil filled. Going to give that a try. As for the tires... They are the smallest they have in a 15. At some point i am going to replace them with something more vintage looking. They are awesome tires, and really hooks up, but yea...
    Thanks again everyone. Will be nice to have some suspension! changing out the rear springs as well. Going to ride like a caddy! lol

Aaron D. likes this.
  11. A narrower tire on the front will make your car easier to steer, especially a low speeds. I run 165 R 15's on my Model A and my '32 and I am quite happy with them. They are 85 series tires. They are easy enough to find from different sources.

12. Look at VW suppliers for small 15s