Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Searching for info-ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ron Petersen, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Ron Petersen

Ron Petersen

Hope the right place to post this.
    I am looking for year, make and model of the rear cab section with window of this car. I am not seeing anything anywhere and assume this was custom, if so I may just have to learn to do sheetmetal fabrication and make it myself. I know I'll have to build the rear covers, unless someone knows what it is. Google was no help. I found this 1940 Ford UTE on ClassicCars. I think I am going to go this route with my 39 Mercury build. Attached is the current car and the one I am looking for more body panel parts from donor vehicles that I can attach to. Unless there is another helpful link I can do some searching on, just not sure where to start... Any help greatly appreciated.
    Thank You

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 8, 2021
  2. Looks like a '40 Ford Coupe roof with the division bar removed from the back window.

warhorseracing likes this.
  3. 14766842-1940-ford-ute-thumb.jpg You can make your pictures bigger by hitting the "full image" View attachment 5164748 button prior to posting.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
    Hamtown Al, Lil32, pprather and 2 others like this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

I don't know...the shape is quite a bit different than the 40.

(yeah, I already found the larger picture on the net)

1940_Ford_Standard_Business_Coupé_(01A)_rear.jpg

Have you exhausted all the Studebaker, Graham, Hubmobile, etc possibilities?

Deuces likes this.

5. Ron Petersen

Ron Petersen

Still learning these forums. I wasn't sure about the 40 Ford window as I was seeing the center post on google search. And as for the cab/roof, you know where I can start looking for that section? Not even sure the right terminology to do a search. I am only seein bits and pieces. Unless I need to find a donor car and take that section off, just not sure what all years would be simular.
    All new to these projects.

6. squirrel

squirrel

It's likely that a lot of that metal was formed just for this project....and you may have to do the same on yours.

Deuces likes this.
  7. Ron Petersen

Ron Petersen

Thank you, best photo to work with. Had no clue where or how to start. Anything computer related still learning, anything mechanical I can do with no issues as long as I have some sort of base to start with.

8. squirrel

squirrel

There is indeed a lot to learn.

Also...if you are looking for ideas to copy, you might broaden your search. I don't particularly care for the look of the blue car, I think you can do better than that. The rear window looks weird...the covered bed kind of takes away the utility of being a Ute...etc.

fauj likes this.
  9. alchemy

alchemy

That rear window looks like it was inspired by a '37 Studebaker rear window. It's not exactly the same, but sure has the flavor.

Sancho likes this.
  10. typo41

typo41
    Member Emeritus

True 1940 Ford Utes used standard sheet on the front, had a real square truck body that also had trailer like rear fenders... Kinda ugly, but not. We saw a few of them there, when we were there 15 years ago,,,, we ended up with a second owner 1950 Chevy Ute

MoonEyesChristmasShow2012028.jpg

Deuces likes this.
  11. Ron Petersen

Ron Petersen

Always open to ideas to the window/cab style. Thought of a truck cab and go straight down, but I like the curves as it just about matches the car.
    I like the idea of it being covered, maybe might do something like a removable cover for when we go on some trips, like to keep things covered.
    When I get the car cleaned up, I might do some cardboard and tape mock-up to see what looks good before doing any major work.
    Main thing is it has to look good and functional.

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  12. I'd look for an old (late '30's to early '50's) pickup cab donor (maybe one with no doors, since you won't need 'em) to replace the current flat sheet metal "patch".
    Then add inner bed side walls & a tailgate.
    20210720_075041.jpg

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  13. This is a factory '39 for reference.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Deuces, pitman, pprather and 4 others like this.
  14. Why do you Auzzies always flip the negative and show the steering wheel on the wrong side?? Must be along the lines of the toilet bowl swirling the wrong direction, too, huh?
    Nice Ute! It's interesting that (according to legend) a farm lady wrote a letter to Ford Australia suggesting just such a vehicle and they did it! It only took Detroit another 20 years or so to figure it out!!

Deuces likes this.
  15. metalman

metalman

I dont have a picture handy but years ago I worked on a 40 Ford custom that looks simular to the one you're showing. The one I had was customized back in the 50's, originally a sedan delivery turned into a Ute looking pickup. they had used a 49/50 ford pickup cab to make the rear of the cab and rear window. It actually fit well and if you didn't know better you would of thought it was factory.

Deuces and lothiandon1940 like this.
  16. We don't have water like a lake in our toilets, so the don't really swirl.;)
    [​IMG]

Some may consider this off topic.

17. millersgarage

millersgarage

looks like a sedan with the roof folded down to cover the back.
    Maybe the back half of a 5 window would work, but there is a lot of work to make the bed area

SR100, fauj, lothiandon1940 and 2 others like this.
  18. [​IMG]

For some reason I see a car that was once a '39 or '40 Ford 4 door sedan with '46/'47 rear fenders HRP

[​IMG]

Deuces, fauj, pprather and 2 others like this.
  19. Deuces likes this.

20. Thanks for setting me straight on that! Now I want one.... a shitter with MORE POWER!!!

Deuces likes this.
  21. Rusty J

Rusty J

Time to hit up fields/old car stashes and bring your sawsall. For reference material try watching Bad Chad or Fitzee on youtube - You'll become a metal shaping master by the time this former more-door car is done. Have fun making the new metal fit - just as a reference, the 39 in my avatar pic is what I'm building now, just finished the passenger side rear fender and it's made up of 2 - 39 fenders, chevy astrovan front fender, and 53 Caddy hood. The rear quarter came from a 39 that had the same roof modification as what you're starting with. Work that imagination!!

Deuces likes this.
  22. modagger

modagger

Nice Ute! It's interesting that (according to legend) a farm lady wrote a letter to Ford Australia suggesting just such a vehicle and they did it! It only took Detroit another 20 years or so to figure it out!!

From a deeply resonate disembodied voice, “So let it be written, so let it be done!”.

If only it were that easy.

Deuces and fauj like this.
  23. Ron Petersen

Ron Petersen

Found a 39 Mercury Tudor body that the front end was burned but the rear is in good shape, going to pick it up and use it for the back cab/window section and maybe the rear windows cut down to 1/4 windows.
    At least I am getting on the right track.
    I still like the idea of the curves and covered bed.
    Still learning. Love the ranchero build, tons of ideas, tips and tricks.
    20210923_143216.jpg
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
    pprather, 41 GMC K-18 and Deuces like this.