Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 53 Studebaker Coupe Southeast Gasser Build and 1950 Buick Sedan

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fiddle Picker, Dec 19, 2016.

1. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Johnny, do you want me to be on the lookout for a 2 car trailer?o_O:)

Fiddle Picker likes this.
  2. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Not yet sir. Because this thread name includes "Other Toys" in the title, probably leave it here.

loudbang likes this.
  3. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

I removed the heads on the Fiddle Picker looking for a water leak. Ended up being a crack at the head bold that runs into the "4 clyinder wall. Stinks ! That cylinder has already been sleeved for the same reason from a head bolt on the other side of the cylinder. Not sure what I'm going to do about this. Maybe sleeve it again if they can and put a repair plug in the bolt hole. Going to pick up another block today. teardown 1.jpg teardown 2.jpg

4. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Got a backup motor going together , 327 ci, while waiting on the 306 at the local engine shop. Block done, crank done, pistons and rods showed up today. There's hope, trying to make the March 21 SEGA race in Florida !! back up motor.jpg

5. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Florida race got postponed. I wasn't gonna make it , so looking forward to Shady Side in April. We have started on a 55 Chevy for Super Stock. Getting carried away with it (can't help it) and is going to take a while. So, I have purchased this 67 Chevelle 300 4dr to make Super Stock this season. Got the parts ordered to convert to 4 speed. Change wheels, scoop and whatever else to get it ready. 0316201201.jpg

6. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Hey guys. Been a while. I have put a turbo 350 in the 54 Stude running with index racers. Trying to find a fit for the "Fiddle Picker" Studebaker. Turns out, worked out great !! Won the gasser race at Ringgold, Ga. this past weekend, then won the Super Eliminator round with a dead on index pass !! It's happy, I'm happy with the out come . I love the 4-speed stuff, Still have the Super Stock 67 Chevelle that we are running. Looking for power...ain't we all. Life is good !! Cody TNT 2.jpg Brainerd trophies.jpg Ala 1.jpg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2021
    tpw35, saltflats, vtx1800 and 9 others like this.
  7. loudbang

loudbang

Good to hear of your progress. :)

Fiddle Picker and 48fordnut like this.
  8. brianf31

brianf31
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Way to go Johnny! I hope to catch you at Knoxville in a couple weeks.

loudbang likes this.
  9. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Hey Brian !! Great !! Stop by and say hello !! Still waiting on the Falcon debut !!

brianf31 and loudbang like this.
  10. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

I bought this 1950 Buick 4dr Tourback sedan several years ago. Haven't had the time or money to deal with it. Still don't have the money, so while I am waiting on machine shops and parts for the hot rods, I decided to pull it out of the woods. The Straight 8 was locked up. Ended up pulling the head off for a look, and I was very impressed. The cylinder walls looked like new !! So we tapped a little and pulled a little and it freed right up ! The shaft rocker system is a little hard to operate, so, going to revive it then lap the valves and put it back together. The paint, if you can call it that, is a total mess. One owner car that was inherited by a couple knuckleheads when their uncle passed. They rolled the entire car, trim and all with something that looks like white latex, then rolled it again with something that looks like flat black latex......geez.. !!! Just getting started on it, so I will probably have to drive it the way it is. You couldn't create a look like this if you tried !! 1226211356.jpg 1226211357.jpg

juan motime, loudbang and brianf31 like this.
  11. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Removed the head, all looks great !! I tried the concoctions poured in spark plug holes, didn't want to free up. Sure did make the bores clean though !! head off.jpg

juan motime, loudbang and Hang'emHigh like this.
  12. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Spent a little time cleaning crud off the dash, steering wheel and guages, I'm liking it !! 271026250_983812588907382_990625218312009465_n.jpg

13. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Today, rainy, we decided to go ahead and split the exhaust manifold on the Buick Straight 8. Should sound pretty cool !! Pre-heated the cast iron manifold and used nickel rods with an arc welder. The split is 5 and 3, I made a block plate and added another outlet. Did this while still attached to head to prevent warpage. split manifold.jpg

14. Fiddle Picker

Fiddle Picker

Well, I couldn't take the rolled on multi layers of paint, so we started the stripping process. Waiting on a gasket kit to put the engine back together, Never mind the wheels, on there to roll it around. stripping old paint.jpg

Last edited: Jan 6, 2022