Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Carb identification?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Grandmas73, Sep 8, 2021.

1. Grandmas73

Grandmas73

Hey all,
    I'm really hoping someone can help me ID this carb. It was hidden on a shelf at my father's, garage, he's been twisting wrenches over 50yrs on everything from hotrods to the boats he did for a living and is now cleaning out the garage before moving. Funny thing is HE can't remember what it fits. 20210908_144605.jpg 20210908_144700.jpg 20210908_144804.jpg 20210908_144830.jpg

I can upload more photos if you need.
    Thanks in advance for any input.

Bryan

2. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Looks like it might be a Stromberg UUR 2. Any plans for it?

3. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

If its brass it may have been off a Lodge marine conversion. That would make sense if he worked on boats.

4. Grandmas73

Grandmas73

I will mention Lodge to him and see if it jars his memory. No plans as of yet. If it's not particularly valuable or needed by someone, once I know what it is, I might just polish it up and mount it with a lamp as a house warming gift for him. Thanks for the suggestions.

egads, saltflats and Deuces like this.

5. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

6. Grandmas73

Grandmas73

7. carbking

carbking

You might try to find a Rocket scientist to figure it out for you ;)

It isn't a UUR-2.

Jon.

woodscaper and arkiehotrods like this.
  8. Grandmas73

Grandmas73

Nope, it doesn't appear to have a fuel bowl...... most pictures I'm finding all have bowls. I'm starting to wonder if I have a aviation carb. No bowl and the fuel line connects with a banjo. Maybe an import?

9. Maybe it's not even a carburetor?

10. carbking

carbking

It is a carburetor, it is not complete, and it is not aviation.

There is a clue in my first post, and the carburetor is listed on my website.

Good evening.

Jon.

Budget36 and '28phonebooth like this.

11. You sly devil. How long are you going to leave us twisting in the wind before you enlighten us? Or do we get a prize for figuring it out?

12. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Zenith has 2 definitions. One being of something at it most powerful and the other being astronomy.

13. partsdawg

partsdawg
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Minnesota

Looks like a tractor carb to me

'28phonebooth likes this.
  14. Grandmas73

Grandmas73

Thanks Jon, I am browsing your site right now (and bookmarking). I'll keep at it, I really do prefer clues over direct answers on stuff like this, you learn more that way :)

Bryan.

Deuces likes this.
  15. carbking

carbking

What brand of car might a "Rocket" scientist own?

What you have is about 2/3 of a Penberthy type DV-9 (double venturii a.k.a. two-barrel) carburetor originally used on a 1918~1920 Oldsmobile 8 cylinder. The Penberthy was also known as "Ball and Ball". The design was patented by a father son combination, last name Ball. I have seen references on the 'net to "Ball Brothers", but that is incorrect. Penberthy produced the carburetors through about 1928. Somewhere in the period the father passed, but the grandson came on board and went to work for Chrysler. About 1932, Chrysler sublet the newer "Ball and Ball" designs to Carter to produce for Chrysler.

This one is a very early updraft two-barrel, although not the earliest two-barrel.

If you look on my website under passenger kits, Oldsmobile to 1950, you will find it listed.

Too bad it isn't complete, would really make an excellent "what is it" if it were cleaned (brass) for the coffee table.

And if you wish to see a picture of the complete carburetor: from the front page of my website, click "articles", scroll down and click "virtual carburetor museum", then click "lesser known carburetor brands". Last picture, second row.

Jon.

16. Budget36

Budget36

Dang. Not only does the man know the carburetor in question, he knows the history about it.

WalkerMD and Deuces like this.
  17. Grandmas73

Grandmas73

Wow, you could have kept me dangling a little longer lol. Seriously, thanks for the info cause now I'm one up on my dad !
    That is a impressive web site you have there sir, I can definitely get lost in there.

Deuces likes this.
  18. carbking

carbking

In the FWIW category, just looked at the UUR-2 in the link.

It is a UUR-2. It does not appear to be Bugatti (but when was a carburetor ever misadvertised on Ebay).

The UUR-2 comes in two different intake sizes. The Bugatti carb uses the large (2 15/16 inch) intake. The one on Ebay appears to be the smaller 2 1/2 inch (some Studebaker, some Nash).

Jon.

WalkerMD, arkiehotrods and Deuces like this.

19. Thanks Jon! Wish I new as much about carberrayters as you do!
    Seriously though, how long have you been at this game? Your knowledge is incredible!

Deuces and Bob Lowry like this.
  20. carbking

carbking

I rebuilt my first carburetor in 1959.

Jon